Top Gear China?

Interesting, the first TG spinoff to not give the Stig a Simpson Diamondback helmet.

^ Some say he drove all the way during the long march and that he can stop a column of tanks with a bag of groceries.

Some say he once stopped a tank asking the driver to let him drive it..

This is such a bad idea. For one thing it will break going round all those corners at high speed, and for another, who'd want Clarkson's ugly mug looking up at them through the runny remains of a fried egg?

Whyt do you mean, I've got it wrong again?

This From The Global Times

This From The Global Times

The Global Times has a story about Top Gear China that says a 30 minute pilot has been filmed with host Cao Yunjin.

They do exciting things like "a Cadillac races a donkey in pushing millstones to see which is more efficient in farm work."

Hope it's available with English captions :lol:

I literally made this account just to give you guys some feedback on TG China. So this is my first post, evidently.

I watched the 15 min clip of the pilot. I can tell right off the bat it's awful. Everything feels scripted, the jokes aren't funny, and the ideas are certainly not very original. Just so you guys know, I'm from Taiwan and currently working in Shanghai (short term).

A few issues that come to mind:

Censorship - China is very strict on the content of the mass media stuff. They don't tolerate any trash talk and are lot more conservative. Yes, that means no jokes about people's genitalia, no scat jokes, and most definitely no political/racist jokes. The stuff coming out of the hosts' mouth are so dry and boring it felt like they stuck a sandpaper tipped cotton swab into my ears.

Traffic - There's 1.3 billion people in China. There's also probably at least a hundred million speed cameras lying around. Unless they don't mind racking up a crap ton of tickets, then sure. Even then, open roads in good condition are pretty much non-existent in China. There is a crapton of large isotainer trucks, pretty much destroying the roads where ever they go.

Chinese car market - They essentially make garbage that's a combination of Euro/US/Japanese cars. And they do a terrible job at it. There's only been one barely acceptable China car brand and it's Roewe, but it's not great either. They're cheap, for a good reason too. So essentially they'll be doing a rehash of TGUK's reviews.

Honestly, I can't understand it because I'm don't understand Mandarin . Somebody got the subs ?

OMG...the most horrible top gear EVER!
its so choppy...each scene doesnt flow to the next...feels so rushy...wtf with the 20sec m3 clip?
At least show us what the track looks like!
theirs already 20 cars on the board already? wtf!
the studio is so damn small...its sad!
3 ppl interviewing the producer? lol!
if there going to make a top gear... at least make it watchable!

in surmmarY! waste of my 15min!

OMG...the most horrible top gear EVER!
its so choppy...each scene doesnt flow to the next...feels so rushy...wtf with the 20sec m3 clip?
At least show us what the track looks like!
theirs already 20 cars on the board already? wtf!
the studio is so damn small...its sad!
3 ppl interviewing the producer? lol!
if there going to make a top gear... at least make it watchable!

in surmmarY! waste of my 15min!
It is a unofficial release of the pilot-- not a version ready to be aired.

It suffers from the same problem that ever other TG spinoff suffers from: the hosts are too young! The original trio are all in their thirties afaik, and that's what makes it funny. Three guys in their early thirties or late twenties fucking around isn't good television, it's youtube...

in their thirties? ... Okay am I not getting the joke here?

Even Hammond is 40+ ... they're all born in the 60s!

Greetings Michael

Hopefully it will get picked up...will be a fun way to help practise my Mandarin. :D