Top Gear coming to Qu?bec (Canada's french province)

Top Gear en Fran?ais ?a va ?tre tr?s tr?s NUL!

Anyway, the problem if it was dubbed by French people is that the expressions will make sense only to French people...

Does that mean we will get Top Gear in France as well? :-o
Oh god I hope not, not dubbed anyway...

C'est comme la traduction de Top Gear en Russe qui tourne sur Youtube alors :-/

Je m'attendais ? mieux...

Montreal.......c'est ma ville!

You guys are bringing me back. I remember trying to enjoy South Park translations (McGill, '03 baby!) when I knew the original English texts.....it is damned hard.

I just don't see how Top Gear can possibly translate well in any language. Honestly, as an American, I find myself at a loss at times to understand the vernacular (and my mum is British and I have spent quite some time there).

But I suppose thus is the lot of a non-English speaking viewer. I suppose crap Top Gear is better than no Top Gear?

Is it worse than France? :-o
Because I think we already are on a very high level as far as not wanting to learn to talk and understand english is concerned :-D

Because I think we already are on a very high level as far as not wanting to learn to talk and understand english is concerned :-D

Hee. If only you knew. I will only state it in these terms..... in most french speaking countries, they have adapated 'Stop' as a universal phrase put on a sign when one wishes coming traffic to no longer move. In Quebec,this sign must read "Arret" (my apologies, I don't recall how to bring up the circulflex), which is the literal French translation. English is, at best......not encouraged.

Don't get me wrong, I love Quebec, I ADORE Montreal (best city in the WORLD!!!), but the language laws can get a bit tricky. And if I play devil's advocate (which I suppose I will), I think that it is a very difficult job to preserve such a significant French tradition in a country that is so predominantly anglophone.

However, if I wish to go Clarkson style and speak my mind, "Drink a bloody pint (of Labatts perhaps?), pull the stick out of your arse, and welcome to the new world!!

(Still love you QC :thumbsup:)

Damn, I couldn't survive there, a very big part of my French vocabulary is based on english words :-D

Yes, let's all speak English in every countries. The problem would be resolved no? Same thing with food, let's export McDonalds and crap fast-food all around the globe. Wait a minute...

There are laws limiting the use of English on signs. It used to be the case that English was prohibited completely, but it has since relaxed to a small extent and now French merely has to be the dominant language on all signage. There is an office dedicated to regulating this.

Once, not many years ago, the coffee chain Second Cup was met with protests because their name wasn't French enough.

Also, there was outrage when "press 9 for service in English" was on Government answering machines. Now, the message is way at the end, so French people don't have to hear it.

Recently, a law was changed to make it more difficult for kids in the province to enroll in English schools.

Basically, all things not French will be met with a protest.

Last edited:
i lived in ottawa for 5 years and just moved back hoem to the bahamas

some of the french are really touchy, very few seem to actually want to integrate with anglophones
i was in montreal for the f1gp last year, all the rentacops at the track were retarded when it came to asking them for help in english, so we had to adjust how we asked them

"Hola! Sprackenz sie Deutsch?" would almost always get an english response.

however, all the montrealers i met in the city ( police officers, takeout ppl, subway restaurante and tube employees) were all pretty nice to me and i enjoyed my time.

doesnt surprise me that they would want it in french without subtitles though, very typical of the standard pro quebecois mindset

hard to learn english in quebec ??
I started learning english in primary school and i still have english class in cegep. And now, kid get to start english when they start primary school. Seriously, the most anti-anglophones are all in Montreal, the rest of the population either speak english also and they dont give a damm or they just dont speak english and they dont bother learning it and when you speak to one of those in english, he just simply say: Sorry i dont speak english.

I've watched the 13 seasons of Top gear... Vtele started playing season 6... a stretch version of the show (they've added advertising) with frech voiceover (from france)... That's rubish!!!!

Last edited:
I'm a french canadian and I can only listen to the original topgear. Anything translated to french sucks. But the french dub made me discover the show.

I have to tell you guys that French TV (I know not Canadian TV) taken in the round is really, really, bad.

Mind you all the people (lots of talking head shows) look like they have just stepped out of a designer clothes show (Sexy women even the older ones, and hansome men who are well dressed). No wonder the French shag each other all the time!

Last edited: