Top Gear filming at VIR in Sept

volcano

I haven't really posted on the forum before, but I received this email from a local Porsche Club recently:

Hello All...!

The TV program, Top Gear, has requested the use of VIR on our scheduled date of Sept 16 to film one of their programs. VIR has offered and we have accepted the following day, Friday, Sept 17, to hold our DE. VIR normally charges an additional $2200 to rent the track on Friday but offered it to us for the same price as Thursday.

IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SIGNED UP FOR THE DE, PLEASE MAKE A NOTE OF THIS AND CHANGE YOUR RESERVATIONS. IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND ON FRIDAY, PLEASE ADVISE ASAP AND WE WILL GRANT YOU A FULL REFUND.

We have been told that Top Gear plans to remain at the track Friday and may tape some of our DE for their program.

VIR is Virginia International Raceway located in Alton, VA (near Danville). Really great track.. I've run with this Porsche Club before which is why I'm on their mailing list. I definitely plan on attending this event as well!!

Sounds great! Is this Top Gear UK or US though?

Maybe another US roadtrip for the lads?? Atleast they are filming their winter-eps during that time.

Sounds great! Is this Top Gear UK or US though?

That's what I want to know. Somehow I'm thinking more TG US, for some reason.

TGUS would make more sense. I can't see Top Gear, the world's most popular motor show, to go to a race track in South Virginia that not many people have heard of unless it's part of a cheap car challenge like the racetrack in Florida back in the first US trip.

Would be cool if the is UK Top Gear. Would like season 16 to come very soon.
A7X, I see you are in Atlanta...road trip in september?? :lol:

Last edited:
Shit great find. I am less than an hour from VIR and will be there for sure to check it out. :)

I can clear a few things up.

1) It is definatley not Top Gear USA. It IS the real deal.
2) They've basically rented out the track and set it up as "invite only" to a selected few folks. The track staff and producers are going to hand pick who they will let attend later this week. Apparently they are filming and will allow 1hr of track time. Meeting the cast may not even happen. It sounds like we're just background noise to a much bigger agenda. Beyond that, I doubt anyone will share more info across the big nasty wild wild web.

Cheers

I smell another cheap car challenge with a track day challenge as one of the challenges. Challenge.

I can clear a few things up.

1) It is definatley not Top Gear USA. It IS the real deal.
2) They've basically rented out the track and set it up as "invite only" to a selected few folks. The track staff and producers are going to hand pick who they will let attend later this week. Apparently they are filming and will allow 1hr of track time. Meeting the cast may not even happen. It sounds like we're just background noise to a much bigger agenda. Beyond that, I doubt anyone will share more info across the big nasty wild wild web.

Cheers

I don't want to sound paranoid, but American's don't typically say "cheers." As odd as this post seems to me, I'm thankful that we now know a little more about what this is about.

Twitter led me to a forum with this quote:

Well after talking briefly to my sources today, I found out that they are going to need approximately 60 cars, preferably American. The Top Gears officials did not share the purpose of these cars to VIR yet. All track operations will still be open, but the Padox will be closed to the public unless your a VIR club member, VIP, employee, ect. All three host Jeremy, James, and Richard will be there as will the Stig and the Stig's cousin, the Big Stig. Also, all are staying at the Lodge by Turn 5. That's all I know at the moment, I'll post more if I hear anything.

I would go...but I prefer to watch the show on TV. I don't think seeing the guys through some fence would be very exciting.

Hmm...purely conjecture but since they're in the USA and they're using a ton of American cars maybe its one of those UK versus another country segments like they did against Germany and are planning with Australia (IIRC). Might help TG USA's ratings too if they used their hosts in a challenge against Clarkson and co.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued. If the UK Stig is taking part and actually racing at VIR where does that leave the whole "who is the Stig" thing? We know from the TG Australia set report that there's also a Stig involved in their TGUK meets TGAustralia episode, who's meant to be UK Stig.

We've all been assuming the White Stig debacle would be addressed in episode 1 of series 16 but if filming's already taken/is about to take place for these 2 eps then the whole thing becomes even more complicated.

Maybe they'll kill him during the filming. I'm in The States at the same time, and pondering the wisdom of a six-and-a-half hour drive (each way) to see what's going on. Or at least I was, until Mr he-he vetoed the idea!