Top Gear Injuries

controlspecimen

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL 6MT
With James having a nasty fall in the Patagonia special, I got to thinking about every instance of a presenter being injured on the show. Here's my list; am I forgetting anything?

4x03: Jeremy breaks his thumb crashing his ?100 Volvo
6x07: Jeremy slips two discs in his back, blames it on "repetitive oversteer injury"
8x08: Richard hurts his neck when his Suzuki Super Carry flips (his wife said he was hurt in his book)
9x01: Richard is nearly killed in the Vampire dragster
11x05: Jeremy hurts his neck driving the GT-R around Fuji Speedway
12x01: Jeremy is injured twice in his Renault Magnum lorry
12x08 (Vietnam Special): Jeremy cracks ribs and gets road rash falling off his Vespa
15x04: Jeremy gets a bee in his eye driving a 911 Turbo Cabriolet
16x00 (Middle East Special): James hits his head on rocks in the Syrian desert
19x05: Richard gets a sewing needle in his eye
21x06: Richard sprains his wrist falling off a horse
22x00 (Patagonia Special): James cracks 3 ribs falling off a horse

Last edited:
Second one happened in the Datsun GTR.
Also, technically, Jeremy got ebola from pushing his Grosser.

Poor James does seem to come off worst, especially since both fairly serious injuries he has sustained have been while doing something that he would rather not be doing (towing a car the first time, riding a horse the second).

Jeremy has also suffered from Bird Flu on at least one occasion and hurt his arse while falling through the 'Ploo' portable toilet. :lol:

Also in the Bolivia special James falls when he is trying to get on the raft.

Jeremy fell of his Vespa and "burned" himself with superglue, in Vietnam. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jeremy also banged his head when testing the MG SV. S3 episode 7.

Wait, what? Don't remember this. A needle in the eye? Really?

Yeah, it's the episode where they build the old people's car out of a FIAT and then call it a Rover because old people hate Germans (The war). Hammond is doing some sewing when something goes wrong and he gets hit in the eye with something they are then doing the wrap up with Hammond wearing some bandage over his eye.

Yeah, it's the episode where they build the old people's car out of a FIAT and then call it a Rover because old people hate Germans (The war). Hammond is doing some sewing when something goes wrong and he gets hit in the eye with something they are then doing the wrap up with Hammond wearing some bandage over his eye.

I'd say this is definitely a scripted "injury"... :rolleyes:

I'd say this is definitely a scripted "injury"... :roll eyes:

Despite what appears to be a comedy eye piece and your sarcastic eye rolling smiley I'm not convinced that it's a "Scripted injury"
The way it plays out just doesn't strike me as "scripted" god I hate people calling things scripted as if it's a negative it's a fucking television program the whole thing is scripted.

the funniest injury has to be Jeremy intentionally crashing his lorry into a brick wall. lol

I think he said he pretty badly hurt in that crash. I liked the earlier incident in the same film, where the "gear lever went up [his] arse."

god I hate people calling things scripted as if it's a negative it's a fucking television program the whole thing is scripted.

You shouldn't hate people for being disappointed with scripted things in TG or expect them, historically the show was factual and didn't need scripted 'comedy'. It didn't feature people having accidents either. I've come to terms with the nature of modern TG, but I'm still disappointed that they feel they had to resort to scripted things to make the show interesting.

I think he said he pretty badly hurt in that crash. I liked the earlier incident in the same film, where the "gear lever went up [his] arse."

I think in one of the extended interviews for one of the DVDs he mentions how he was supposed to go 25 or 35 mph and felt that wouldn't look good on TV so he just went 10 faster.

You shouldn't hate people for being disappointed with scripted things in TG or expect them, historically the show was factual and didn't need scripted 'comedy'. It didn't feature people having accidents either. I've come to terms with the nature of modern TG, but I'm still disappointed that they feel they had to resort to scripted things to make the show interesting.

If you don't like the comedy then say you don't like the comedy, there isn't scripted comedy and comedy there is just comedy even the "factual" top gear had a script, someone would gather together some facts about the car they would decide their opinion of the car and then a script would be written why "Scripting" has suddenly become this dirty word is beyond me. "staged" would be better.

How about the R8 Spyder with Loren(Lauren) the model riding shotgun ... I think that was the one that ended prematurely with Jeremy receiving medical attention. Think he'd switched to the 911 Turbo Cabriolet by then.
I quote : "THE THING IN MY NOSE HAS A FAAACE!"

(15x04)

Last edited:
I think in one of the extended interviews for one of the DVDs he mentions how he was supposed to go 25 or 35 mph and felt that wouldn't look good on TV so he just went 10 faster.

Interesting, didn't know that. He did the same thing crashing his Volvo into a brick wall.

- - - Updated - - -

How about the R8 Spyder with Loren(Lauren) the model riding shotgun ... I think that was the one that ended prematurely with Jeremy receiving medical attention. Think he'd switched to the 911 Turbo Cabriolet by then.
I quote : "THE THING IN MY NOSE HAS A FAAACE!"

(15x04)

I liked that one. "My eyyyyyyyyye!"