Top Gear Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emphasized that while you accuse other members of being obnoxious, YOU are the obnoxious one. Familiar with irony?

So, your ironic post about being a troll, by being a troll, about me being obnoxious, by you being obnoxious is your attempt at making a point?

That being said, I will conclude by adding this completely useless image, I'm sure it will drive you nuts. Enjoy.

1074265078_turesmagic.jpg

Wow, that image is driving me nuts! It's spelt 'you're' not 'your', when will people learn to spell? :rolleyes:

One of our most respected members, Shellygrrl, being accused of abuse and personal attacks? Now I've seen everything. I say, ban?

Yes, ban me. Let's show everyone that you can't disagree with the mob around here. They need to know that Finalgear is a place for bullies who get upset when someone dares question the motivations of a television show. And yeah, I don't see any reason why Shellygrrl (irrespective of how 'respected' she may be) needs to resort to swearing and name calling. But, then again, the level of maturity around here is now seriously in question.

Can someone either post some bewbs or lock this thread?

Sure, but did you get a chopping board, recipe books or a set of Global knives for Christmas when you were 11? No.

But as a child much younger than that (unless you had no toys as a child which seems increasingly likely) you got given toy cars. It is a passion that starts early in many people's lives. We all eat food from a young age but it isn't until we are well into double figures that most take anSu interest in its preparation. Cars on the other hand feature almost daily for most of us from before we can walk.

Sure, agreed. But is a passion for cars the same as watching three people torching a caravan? I'm not so sure.

Look, perhaps if my dad was bringing home the latest supercar every other day, I might not find the whole experience as thrilling as a kid from a working class family in Manchester. And if there is a possibility that they consider their childrens indifference to car reviews indicitive of the larger audience, that it might explain why they try so hard to add these rather thin 'gags'.

That's just my opinion. Apologies in advance to all of those who've taken offence.

Last edited:
*Re-enters thread.
See Lancer still talking shit, 15 weeks later.
*Leaves thread.

Reactions: MWF
Thanks for your mildly hostile input, but from the responses you've given, you've either not read through all my posts or the point I was trying to make has escaped you.

*laughs*

No, it wasn't meant to be hostile in any way, believe it or not. And yes, I did read through your responses. But you obviously haven't read through or understood ours. Most of yours went on and on about how you now know that the guys (Jeremy) are saying that the show is being made for children, especially his 12 year old in mind.

But that wasn't what was said. What was said was...well, just what he said. That the NEXT show was made for children, mainly including his 12 year old in mind.

Not that ALL of the shows were for children.

Not that ALL of the remaining shows were going to be made with children in mind.

You've simply watched a small snippet of a behind the scenes video and let your brain run riot with one throwaway line in it.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. ;)

*laughs*

No, it wasn't meant to be hostile in any way, believe it or not. And yes, I did read through your responses. But you obviously haven't read through or understood ours. Most of yours went on and on about how you now know that the guys (Jeremy) are saying that the show is being made for children, especially his 12 year old in mind.

But that wasn't what was said. What was said was...well, just what he said. That the NEXT show was made for children, mainly including his 12 year old in mind.

Not that ALL of the shows were for children.

Not that ALL of the remaining shows were going to be made with children in mind.

You've simply watched a small snippet of a behind the scenes video and let your brain run riot with one throwaway line in it.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. ;)

Okay, okay, just so everyone is on the same page. In the video, Jeremy was referring to the film in 17x04 which he stated ""it's for my 12 year old daughter". Now if you take that comment and apply it to a lot of the other scripted films they've made in the past (that bit's important), you can perhaps start to get a sense of why they might have been so poorly received.

I never said ALL of the shows were for children and I never said all of the remaining shows were going to be made with children in mind. I specifically and repeatedly made mention of the "last few seasons".

If I am completely off the mark, and that they're not in fact making films to keep their kids rolling about the floor, then what is your explanation for the films that have gone down so poorly? Do you believe that Clarkson, Hammond and May lost their ability to be funny? Do you think they stopped caring? There must be some explanation...?

Last edited:
If I am completely off the mark, and that they're not in fact making films to keep their kids rolling about the fall, then what is your explanation for the films that have gone down so poorly? Do you believe that Clarkson, Hammond and May lost their ability to be funny? Do you think they stopped caring? There must be some explanation...?

In my opinion the reason that Top Gear seems to have gotten away from what I fell in love with is the fact that the presenters are now spread so thin. But do I think they no longer care? Of course not.

You have Top Gear, Top Gear Live, Richards Engineering Connections, Invisible worlds, Science Abuse, Wipeout, Journey to the Center of the Earth, numerous 'openings', James's Big Ideas, 20th Century stuff in the past, his current Man Lab, Things you Need to Know, Toy Stories, his various Wine/Beer shows, all the stuff that Jeremy does, the books they write, the online articles they do...ect ect....

Doesn't leave a lot of time to put their 'all' into Top Gear. But, I still love it. Even though I can see why some people may have worries about certain episodes, the fact that Top Gear is now into it's 17th season....

Statistically, they're not going to write what I like all the time. It's just not possible.

Last edited:
In my opinion the reason that Top Gear seems to have gotten away from what I fell in love with is the fact that the presenters are now spread so thin.

(Emphasis added.) This is, IMO, a big reason why most of S14 was so terrible. And the "spread so thin" is more true of James and Richard than Jeremy, as TG is Jeremy's main concern these days (aside from his annual Christmas DVD).

In 2009, Richard was working on the third series of Engineering Connections, IIRC, and at the end of the year, Invisible Worlds, not to mention Blast Lab (which he also produced; it was the first project for Hamster's Wheel, his prod-co) and Total Wipeout. James was massively busy with Toy Stories; in fact, it took up much of the spring and summer of that year. And, of course, when some of S14's studio stuff was being filmed, the local TG Live shows (London, Birmingham, Dublin) took place.

Personally, I thought the ideas from that series were good, especially within the two episodes that stick out as being godawful -- the DIY electric car and the "car art" exhibit. It was the execution of those ideas that was terrible, IMO. I think TG Australia had a better approach to the electric car thing: they made it into a two-way challenge, where they each had to buy a cheap car and convert it to be electric, then work out who did the better job with all the various tests. I would've preferred our UK boys do a three-way challenge where they bought a cheap car, converted it to be electric, and put them through their paces. As for the "car art" exhibit, my alternative would've been they find some cars that are generally rubbish but are aesthetically pleasing to the eye (e.g., Alfa Romeo 8C), and showcase those.

So, your ironic post about being a troll, by being a troll, about me being obnoxious, by you being obnoxious is your attempt at making a point?

That is deep, man.

Wow, that image is driving me nuts! It's spelt 'you're' not 'your', when will people learn to spell? :rolleyes:

seems to have worked :)
(You think I made that image? :roflmao: yes..I have a library full them, right next to my Justin Bieber private collection...)

Yes, ban me.

Yep...

---

Even if he has some kind of a distant point, his unfriendly, self-righteous tone toward anyone in this thread strikes off any credibility he musters. pfff!

Edit:

(FYI: Multi-quote doesn't work well from my cell. I think you should give me some 'negative Rep-Power' if that makes you feel better).

Typing these manifestos from a tiny cell? LOL!! That's dedication!

Last edited:
That is deep, man.

seems to have worked :)
(You think I made that image? :roflmao: yes..I have a library full them, right next to my Justin Bieber private collection...)

Yep...

---

Even if he has some kind of a distant point, his unfriendly, self-righteous tone toward anyone in this thread strikes off any credibility he musters. pfff!

Edit:

Typing these manifestos from a tiny cell? LOL!! That's dedication!

How is this not trolling? Seriously.

This is your third, disruptive, off-topic post and you still haven't contributed anything of value. Look, how about this:

Train bit - unfunny and completely scripted.

Finally, we agree on something.

Last edited:
How is this not trolling? Seriously.

This is your third, disruptive, off-topic post and you still haven't contributed anything of value.

You did say yourself that it doesn't work from 'your cell', you can't be irritated that someone read it and commented. I also suggest you move to another cell and get it working.

I've read all of this now and while it's true that they were scripting it for slapstick humour and still are occasionally, this is nothing new and for the most part we have accepted it, especially now they've realised it's not what the show should really be about. This thread is and always has been about 2 years too late to be relevant.

This is your third, disruptive, off-topic post and you still haven't contributed anything of value.

If you looked past the tip of your own nose for just one moment, you'd realize that it's pretty difficult to have a fun and healthy debate with someone simply unwilling to accept other people's ideas. Throughout this thread you have done nothing but act like a petulant child. You've managed to offend pretty much everyone here by pushing your opinions and acting as though your own stance is superior and everyone else is wrong. This, combined with pretty botched communication skills (or lack thereof). Some have tried to reason with you, others, like myself, simply came in and not bothered to engage, assuming it wouldn't lead anywhere.

This is a great community and we don't always agree, but seriously, if I were a troll, shellygrrl were abusive, MWF couldn't read, and the American Girl were hostile (an ordained church minister, no less, and sorry if I'm getting the specific title wrong), I truly would see no hope for this place to continue. This is all that you've accused us of. Granted, you've managed to tickle my annoyance a bit too much :)

Finally, we agree on something.

Thanks for taking the time to go through my posts. If you had paid ANY attention you'd notice that I actually never agreed, nor disagreed with you.

Now, I shall take my leave.

Last edited:
If you had paid ANY attention you'd notice that I actually never agreed, nor disagreed with you.

Exactly, you didn't contribute anything.

So if it's true that you think the Train Bit was "unfunny and completely scripted", why do you think it was so? If there was something useful that you could say to Andy Wilman to improve this challenge, what would it be? My theory is obviously wrong, so i'm keen to hear what other people have to say...

My theory is obviously wrong, so i'm keen to hear what other people have to say...

Well, apart from the fact that I'm not convinced you are keen, just go back and read through the thread again. Lots of different opinions on here, articulately expressed. They might be at odds with yours, but it wouldn't be much of a forum of everyone agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.