Top Gear Show/Site Suggestions

they should do a roadtrip from the east to west of america, buy a car in NYC and sell it in SF, with of course challenges along the way
Never gonna happen. WAAAY too similiar to the America Special. Infact, it's nearly identical. ;)

Although I do agree they should do more segments in America...

How about an epsiode where the guys getting a lesson in rally driving? And then take a new production car which has a rally background and they try to best each others times in it?

I'm sure they could use about anything for a rally track, but a requirement would that it would have to be scenic to make the segment that much better.

Also, I keep having thought creep into my head about an on location episode, where they visit say the 24 hours of Le Mans, or Monaco during the Gran Prix, or a WRC event or other races. A race they visit wouldn't necessarilly have to be as prestigious as the 24 hours of Le Mans or Monaco, but it would be excellent if they did.

Only problem I perceive is that what would they do once they're there? That episode would be more about the event than it would Top Gear, they would almost seem like commentators. It would be great though for them to bring an event that many people probably will never see in person in their lives to the screen. They do such a good job of making you feel as if you are there apart of the action that I can't resist that idea.

Anyone have suggestions on how that could work?

someone on this forum had a brilliant ideea for the Polar special: "When they've reached the pole they shloud of found The Stig waiting " in a rubbish car or something. That wloud of been a great ideea.:thumbup:

I'd like more challenges, like buy a porsche for less than 1500 quid, the van challenge, and LONGER road tests and shorter star in reasonably priced car segments, because sometimes the stars aren't that great, and tend to get really booring.

Oh and extend the news segement, no ?:tvhappy:

Cool

Webmonkey, do you still have any connection with Top Gear anymore?

If no-one's mentioned it, I did have an idea in a post about a month or so back:

"Drive from John O' Groats to Lands End in cars worth less than 300 pounds. For a twist, rather than buying the cars for themselves to drive, they each purchase the car for another presenter (pre-chosen) to drive.

Say, Hammond would have to choose a car for Jeremy, James for Hammond, Jeremy for James. Naturally, they'd probably buy cars as ill-suited to the others as possible. I could imagine the laughs if Jeremy had to drive across the UK in a battered old Vauxhall Vectra, Richard had to drive a knackered Rover, and James in a hard-riding sportcar of some type.

If they don't kill the other person (after all, could Jeremy stand driving a Vectra that far?), it'd be good entertainment."

http://forums.finalgear.com/showthread.php?p=512858#postcount512858

:)

Instead of 300 GBP how about a pound per mile - now how far apart are they? One source says 986 miles nice unround sum. That should be everything - fuel, car and any mods.

Instead of 300 GBP how about a pound per mile - now how far apart are they? One source says 986 miles nice unround sum. That should be everything - fuel, car and any mods.

I reckon you could do it on half that, quite frankly.

According to Google Maps, it's ~836miles direct, and ~979 miles if they stop off at the track for one of the challenges.

Actually I think that the F430 Scuderia vs GT2 would be a very good comparsion. Also get Chris on the show.

Show ideas

Show ideas

I like the idea of them going to Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage. But, would he allow them to drive any of his priceless and perfect cars? I can't imagine how much a vintage Bugatti or Duesenberg costs, though Clarkson did drive that priceless Maserati racer (it didn't belong to Leno though). Still, with all that Leno has, it would capture my attention if they just visited, maybe Leno could visit England as well (wonder what kind of powerlap time he would set?).

Are they ever going to harvest the oil-seed rake from season 9? I realize Hammond crashed and all, but I was hoping to see them use that in some sort of competition.

I sincerely hope new Viper will make its way into season 11, with 600 horsepower and a new differential in the rear (along with numerous other improvements), it would be a lot of fun to watch Clarkson powerslide it around a corner. I know it has been said a million times but, I would also like to see the Saleen S7 on the show. Any vintage car segment is also a treat.

If the show ever comes to the US again, I think it would be awesome to see them compete on the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association's four road courses. I know that's just dreaming :rolleyes: oh well. Watkins Glen International Speedway is also one of my favorite race tracks that I would like to see someday on the show.

^ I belive that their grown petrol was used to fuel their racing car that we'll see soon. Oh and :welcome:. Personally, I think that TG should come to New Zealand, there are some great driving roads and lots of scenery :).

Thanks for the welcome :). I agree about New Zealand, though I have never been there, I have seen it in movies and it does look very beautiful. Sorry that I didn't know about the oil-seed rake being used in the 24 hour race, I should have read about that on the BBC site.

I would love to see another review where all 3 presenters review these 3 cars.

BMW M3
Mercedes C63 AMG
Vauxhall VXR8 Supercharged

Ive always liked those 3 way reviews and i think with those 3 cars it would be a very interesting and very entertaining review.

I think it would be fun to see some more sillyness with public transport. They could take cars commonly used as minicabs and see which one can get around the track the quickest. Fastest bus, need I say more? :p Cheap car minicab challenge-they have to go out and buy a car (I'm thinking 300 pounds or less) and see who can convince people to take their cab in order to earn the most money in a night of minicabbing.

Cheap car rallying would be fun too, as would a cheap challenge where they have to buy the cars for each other.

Another project vehicle would be cool, maybe having them turning a normal car into a hardtop convertible since they're so popular as of late. "How hard could it be?" :jeremy:

I would also like to see them showing off more technologies that are in development. James driving the GM hydrogen car is still one of my favorite segments.

I spent 45 minutes searching this blasted site to find out how the Chicago Turn got its name, and got directed to this thread. I'm from Chicago and I'm curious why the presenters hate America so much but mention it's third largest city damn near every episode. It can't possibly be the "S" turns on LSD because that would be disappointing.

And if you don't have an answer then for the love of God don't reply.

Last edited:
I spent 45 minutes searching this blasted site to find out how the Chicago Turn got its name, and got directed to this thread. I'm from Chicago and I'm curious why the presenters hate America so much but mention it's third largest city damn near every episode. It can't possibly be the "S" turns on LSD because that would be disappointing.

And if you don't have an answer then for the love of God don't reply.

I think you have the wrong thread for that Q.

I have an outrageous idea for a show that I know will go nowhere, so I figured I would post it:mrgreen:.

I think it would be great if James and Richard were to trick Jeremy into going on a motorcycle ride somewhere. Not something so much like "Easy Rider" (a film I've admittedly never been able to sit through) more something like "The Great Escape", only without Steve McQueen jumping the fence, and POW's digging a hole, and the Nazi's, and things like that. Okay, so not like The Great Escape at all really, more like a motorcycle tour of a small part of Europe, or wherever they should choose (maybe New Zealand with a tribute to Burt Munro).

It could be like any normal car review they do, only with Jeremy being surprised by James and Richard, revealing that he will actually be riding a motorcycle on one of their epic adventures.

That's my crazy thought for the day :)

Apologies if this has been suggested...I'm just lazy.

How about an episode where the USA episode is re-shot, only this time, the lads buy their cars from the Barrett-Jackson auction....or a derivation of this. Either way, seeing the Top Gear guys in Arizona in January has GOT to have some legs to it.

more ideas

more ideas

I was just thinking, a Top Gear where Clarkson, Hammond, and May, all teamed up with vintage hot-rods, like '32 Ford's etc. would be pretty cool. Perhaps they could even build them themselves, and drive them through some challenges. I think there is even a company in Europe that produces '32 Ford bodies, though I'm sure there are a plethora of old cars that would do the trick. Jeremy could put in some monstrous engine, Hammond could try to make his more user friendly, while still being powerful, and May could build his into a comfortable gentlemans cruiser....