Top Gear sparks Mexico complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree to both of that but if you watch it closely, you'll realize that the scene has been cut right before Hammond's remark. So it probably has been pulled out of context -- although I'm not sure the context would have made it any better.

But the reason, why you felt this one remark was so bad, was probably because you can relate to it more, than a bad remark about a German or Frenchman, because you live near the Mexicans and have to deal with them every day.

I'm simply trying to see all this from a neutral point of view, being more objective and not value any nationality higher or lower, than another. Which also means, that the Mexicans cannot claim a special "joke protection", just because they are a poor country with a lot of problems.
Honestly, it has nothing to do with the country in question. It's what they're implying about being from a certain country, doesn't matter which. It wasn't an insult about the government there, or the food there, or the drug problems there, it was an insult about being born there. It's the very definition of xenophobic.

Can I make a facepalm now?
There you go:

worf.gif

Oh FFS!!!
This has gone on long enough. Did anyone notice that on the very same show the Australians were portrayed as all being criminals? Now THAT would probably be a bit more insulting that suggesting your food is a bit crap and you sleep alot! Do you see or hear any Australians whining on and on about it? NO. And you know why? Because the Aussies have a bleedin' sense of humour!!!!

"The Germans always aim high: Stalingrad by Christmas and the World by Easter, and then we'll sort out Rover."
"VW Scirocco: From Berlin to Warsaw in one tank"
"If they do it, what's the point in having Germany?" - on the possibility of general speed limits on the Autobahn
"[T]here?s no known cure for being a bit German."

Trust me, if I wanted to be offended by Top Gear and the other shows presented by the TG3, I could easily find enough to blow myself up with rage thirteen times.

James is a bit German, and England became such because of the Angles (Germans), if I remember correctly.

And again, they didn't go ahead and say "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're German," coupling that to other negative remarks about Germans.

The comments about Americans are also sometimes a bit offensive, and Jeremy once made the paper for something he said back when Katrina was going on (something about Americans barely being able to walk upright). Most of the time we just brush it off, or brush it off and laugh, because they never take it so far as to push beyond what normal rational people may be able to tolerate. In this instance, they went beyond that.

I really don't need to say much more, the news has made my point for me.

And again, they didn't go ahead and say "I'm sorry, but just imagine waking up and remembering you're German," coupling that to other negative remarks about Germans.
Dude... taken seriously, he would have said that being a bit German is a genetic defect. That's about as offensive as in any way, shape or form possible.

But it was a quip, so no harm done.

Don't be pinche panocha wey, Mexico. It is just Clarkson being...him.

I'm only offended because the jokes were kind of lazy and went for shock value instead of wit ;)

However this humor is nothing new from Top Gear and its part of what makes them entertaining. They tear everyone apart including eachother and their fellow countrymen and women.

Its also a brilliant and easy way to get a ton of attention and maybe even some ratings out of it as well. Don Rickles made a career out of it and is still selling out shows FWIW :p

Ahem....

I said Hammond is xeno ph? bic.

Nothing? No one?

:think:

Damn, I better go have another beer, or two, until I think you all think I'm as funny as I think I am.

This just in, Top Gear's popularity increases. Clarkson is still fat, Hammond is still short and May still looks like a spaniel with his head out of the window.

This just in, Top Gear's popularity increases. Clarkson is still fat, Hammond is still short and May still looks like a spaniel with his head out of the window.

:lol: Thanks, I needed a laugh!

Did anyone notice that on the very same show the Australians were portrayed as all being criminals?

Bah... we've heard that one before, AND they made fun of our PRIME MINISTER!

tumblr_l7plvrhice1qdoghio1_500.png

"Alright lads, what's the good word?"

Anyway, if TGUK were to somehow upset us, they know what they're in for:

The_Simpsons_Bart_Vs_Australia_1995_5.jpg

Has South Park been dropped by a network there too? :p

Wow. I mean wow. I would be highly insulted if my prime minster/president was depicted drinking Fosters. :p

Last edited:
You're only offended because you're Mexican. No need to take it personally.
Brazil != Mexico.

I haven't seen it yet, but I have to say that Mexico has the best food...in the woooooorrrrld.

(Okay, maybe Italy does. Or Japan. I'mma call this a three-way tie of awesomesauce.)

Wow. I mean wow. I would be highly insulted if my prime minster/president was depicted drinking Fosters. :p

Any true-blue Aussie would certainly be furious if they were depicted so ;)

According to Fosters, 'Brits drink over 30 pints of the Amber Nectar every second'. So who's waking up at three o'clock in the morning thinking, "I say, I'd quite fancy a Fosters"!?

Last edited:
According to Fosters, 'Brits drink over 30 pints of the Amber Nectar every second'. So who's waking up at three o'clock in the morning thinking, "I say, I'd quite fancy a Fosters"!?

They already drink beer warm, Fosters isn't that big a step for them. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.