Top Gear Test Track Record Time OBLITERATED! (NOT a show spoiler!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexOversteer

Car(s)
'64 Meyers Manx - "The Volksdragon"
Ultima Sports LTD. descended onto the Top Gear test track today, bringing their Ultima GTR720. Top Gear has long ignored the Ultima GTR, despite repeated offerings of a car to test. I guess as the old saying goes, if you want something done, do it yourself.

topgearlap3.jpg

The Ultima GTR720 is now (Unofficially) the fastest road legal car to ever lap the Top Gear test track, absolutely destroying the previous record time of 1:17.6 seconds, set by the Koenigsegg CCX w/ TG Wing. The Ultima set a time of 1:12.8!!

Check out Ultima's webpage detailing the event, which includes an amazing in-car video of the lap!

Jeremy's gonna slam the looks and interior for years maybe, then let it break the lap record if it does come on.

Which kind of contradicts.

Its fast for sure, but sooo goddamn ugly!!!

I wonder if the Stig could do better with it? Whether someone who knows the track better could do better than someone who knows the car better?

But even if TG did it, I bet you they would hide the truth and put it slightly down a bit.

ultima sports homepage said:
Driven by Ultima?s own Stig...
i don'T think you can compare this to the lap-times done by the top-gear stig.
of course, the stig is a real good driver, but ultima's own stig (who is maybe something like a testdriver or a person that lives only to drive that car ;) ) knows the car even better. I, peronally, will believe this only, when i see it being done by the TopGear? Stig? himself.

But there's a question I ask myself: can you really rent the top-gear testtrack to do such tests? i thought they don't allow others to go there, because when jeremys neighbour, this green elektro-car-driver came to the track, they discussed it in the show as break-in. I'm confused!

And: how does the top-gear crew chose, which cars are being tested? Are they going to the manufacturers and ask for cars to test them? Or ask the companies topgear to test their cars? Infos anyone?

[...]
But there's a question I ask myself: can you really rent the top-gear testtrack to do such tests? i thought they don't allow others to go there, because when jeremys neighbour, this green elektro-car-driver came to the track, they discussed it in the show as break-in. I'm confused!

And: how does the top-gear crew chose, which cars are being tested? Are they going to the manufacturers and ask for cars to test them? Or ask the companies topgear to test their cars? Infos anyone?
Well, the "Track" isn?t their Track, it?s an Airfield (Dunsfold Park) owned by some companies, not the BBC or Top Gear. I suppose they just rent it when they need it. If they don?t need it ... anyone can rent it ...

http://www.dunsfoldaerodrome.com

With the Cars ... it?s a bit of both, i guess. Sometimes TG will call up Companies because they want a certain Car for testing, or Companies call TG to tell them "hey, we?ve got a great new Car, don?t you want to test that?"

[...]Check out Ultima's webpage detailing the event, which includes an amazing in-car video of the lap!
Don?t you just love how they write about themselves in third-Person so lazy (wanna-be) Journalists and Bloggers can just copy and paste that text and make it look like it?s independently written and not some promotion-Junk ... :rolleyes:

There have been some road-legal racers to the track before (radical from the top of my mindfrom series 1) and they were taken off the board.
I say that the board should be reserved for cars that can clear speed-bumps.

SBC FTW

but yeah, you'll never see this on Top Gear because its american and it won :mrgreen:

Woah, I'd like to see something that could top this. =o

Man thats an ugly car.

I always knew the Ultima GTR was capable, but not to that extent. The funny thing is that you can get this, a total spec one for under ?40'000 if you want to build it yourself, making it the significantly best "bang for your buck" thet you can buy. It's also just as everyday capable as other supercars as well, with a nicely trimmed interior, air conditioning and a good stereo, and yes it will clear a speed bump as it's no lower than a Zonda, Carrera GT, CCX or an Enzo.

I for one like it's looks as it closely resebles those of an 80s Group-C racecar...

See? It's everyday useable... :lol:
record200608s.jpg

Not a road car in my opinion. The Caparo would prolly smash that time aswell.

And god damn its ugly!

well its an ultima gtr, its expected.

it was the previous record holder for 0-100-0, i think the record was broken by the atom or something.

if u guys want i can upload the video of the ultima doing 0-100mph-0.

It's a great little car, but I have doubts if it not more of a weekend/track-toy than actually usable all year around (750 hp RWD with no electronic aids, fixed windows, heater optional) I wonder if you could cross a continent in any comfort with it, in case it makes it through in the first place that is. Still I'd like to have one.

It's British btw.

Yeah Koenigsegg is road legal even in Taiwan. Plus, you can raise and lower the car.

Also I wonder what topspeed GTR does with that massive rear wing.

Last edited:
Not a road car in my opinion.
How? It's fully road capable and legal with numberplates an all; You can have it with a nicely trimmed interior, a sizeable boot in each sill, a stereo, sat-nav and air conditioning, plus it's got no less ground clearance than other supercars.

So I can't see how you consider it not to be a road car... :dunno:

it was the previous record holder for 0-100-0, i think the record was broken by the atom or something.
It still holds it at 9,4 seconds... Full report and video here...

but I have doubts if it not more of a weekend/track-toy than actually usable all year around (750 hp RWD with no electronic aids, fixed windows, heater optional) I wonder if you could cross a continent in any comfort with it, in case it makes it through in the first place that is. Still I'd like to have one.

It's British btw.
Like stated earlier, you can spec it with whatever you like, so if you want more padded seats and a nicely trimmed interior, stereo, sat-nav and air conditioning you just simply just spec it with that. I mean, what other car at this price level (less than ?40'000) offers such a combination of performace and useability. If you live in a place where it doesn't snow you can use it all year around... Just read through the FAQ...

How? It's fully road capable and legal with numberplates an all; You can have it with a nicely trimmed interior, a sizeable boot in each sill, a stereo, sat-nav and air conditioning, plus it's got no less ground clearance than other supercars.

So I can't see how you consider it not to be a road car... :dunno:

Look at the picture. The ground clearance on the front is 1 inch, TOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.