Top Gear Test Track Record Time OBLITERATED! (NOT a show spoiler!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah right, the Renault F1 is fully road legal and can be used every day... :rolleyes:

Oh for fuck sakes, I could register a gooddamn tank for use on British roads!! So long as it passes MOT, I'm set!!

I believe you're the one who voiced the speculation that Clarkson personally refuses to allow the GTR on the show because of the presence of American engineering in the car and therefore it is subject to some 'Top Gear show' embargo. If that isn't ignorant crazy talk, I don't know what is.

Good point. Although it may not be too crazy or ignorant. It is generally accepted that Clarkson isn't too fond of anything coming out of America. But at the same time, as I mentioned before, it would be suicidal to exclude any and all cars coming out of America. That would be downright stupid....which is why there are numerous American cars on the board.

Although in the end the Ultima GTR is a british designed and built car....so I'm still a bit baffled by Top Gear's refusal to test it. That would make for a very entertaining episode.

Maybe I'll hear from Top Gear via email? Let's hope so.

Good point. Although it may not be too crazy or ignorant. It is generally accepted that Clarkson isn't too fond of anything coming out of America. But at the same time, as I mentioned before, it would be suicidal to exclude any and all cars coming out of America. That would be downright stupid....which is why there are numerous American cars on the board.

Although in the end the Ultima GTR is a british designed and built car....so I'm still a bit baffled by Top Gear's refusal to test it. That would make for a very entertaining episode.

I think they haven't tested it yet because a) Its actually quite ugly, so doesn't look good on the telly b) How many to they actually Sell? Do people really care about it? Yes 'we' care about it but were fans and nerds, We are not the general population.

Or - They just haven't had room yet. Could be many reasons...

Hello, there are probably 20 other guys with 20 other cars in mind that are wondering why *their* favorite car hasn't been reviewed and track tested on the show either. Are you so conceited that you think the GTR is the last great car in the known world that hasn't been reviewed by the show.

Oh and have you not noticed, as I have been complaining about recent seasons, that since the end of series 8 an series 9, they're practically doing NO car reviews anymore (down to 1 per ep which means only 1 stig lap time per ep), with that lack of car review and lap time volume, the show is blowing off a LOT of mainstream sports cars by many makes right now. between all the time consumed by stupid stunts and challenges. theres no time left for proper road and track reviews of a decent quantity.

perhaps you should factor that in as well.

Last edited:
I think they haven't tested it yet because a) Its actually quite ugly, so doesn't look good on the telly b) How many to they actually Sell? Do people really care about it? Yes 'we' care about it but were fans and nerds, We are not the general population.

Or - They just haven't had room yet. Could be many reasons...

mmm, good points! 8)

But then again...look at the Ariel Atom. It was practically non-existent before Top Gear did a review on it. And now alot of people know about it. I'm sure before Top Gear came along no one really knew or cared about it.

Top Gear is what the Ultima GTR needs to get the word out. But then again that would lose its "diamond among rough" status. That sort of "secret alcove" that only few knows about, which also makes it pretty special.

Hello, there are probably 20 other guys with 20 other cars in mind that are wondering why *their* favorite car hasn't been reviewed and track tested on the show either. Are you so conceited that you think the GTR is the last great car in the known world that hasn't been reviewed by the show.

con?ceit?ed: having an excessively favorable opinion of one's abilities, appearance, etc.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conceited

Where did I say that the Ultima GTR is the be-all, end-all, the greatest and 1337est supercar of all time? Don't put words into my mouth. I like the Ultima GTR and seeing that they are probably on a similar scale to the guys who builds the Ariel Atom (pre-Top Gear) it should receive a good review as well.

Mind you, I really don't care whether or not Top Gear reviews it. I'm not gonna go cry myself to sleep. lol :p It's just that this car seems, at least, to be a well-built and designed machine and deserves at least some mention to the public.

edkwon said:
Oh and have you not noticed, as I have been complaining about recent seasons, that since the end of series 8 an series 9, they're practically doing NO car reviews anymore (down to 1 per ep which means only 1 stig lap time per ep), with that lack of car review and lap time volume, the show is blowing off a LOT of cars by many makes right now.

perhaps you should factor that in as well.

I agree with you completely. Top Gear has evolved into a generic, entertainment show rather than a car-oriented show. Which is quite unfortunate. I think Top Gear should use their massive following and influence to bring neat and unique cars like the Ultima to the public and maybe help the public realize that being a car enthusiast is not just about lusting over the newest Ferrari or Lamborghini.

It still holds it at 9,4 seconds... [/url]

well thanks for clearing that up, its an amazing track day machine, i kind of expected the GTR to blitz anything on the race track, so no real surprise for beating the CCX

That is a stunning time. Ok so its borderline race/road car, but I would rather drive this to the track than an open Caterham or Caparo or Radical or something.

I don't see it as any more hardcore than the Atom. Maybe they will test it eventually.

Oh for fuck sakes, I could register a gooddamn tank for use on British roads!! So long as it passes MOT, I'm set!!
fail.jpg

This is for those who still sees this as no more than a stripped down track day car... (Copied from the article...)
The Ultima GTR720 tested is a full road going car with compliant suspension and often used as a daily driver. All the vehicles produced by Ultima Sports Ltd have the usual road luxuries such as air conditioning, ICE, leather trim, sealed luggage carrying compartments and of course road car levels of ground clearance suitable for speed humps and other road obstacles. The Ultima GTR720 is equipped with a standard 5 speed Porsche G50-03 transmission and a standard production option 720bhp engine from the OE engine suppliers American Speed
There you go, it's no more of a stripped down racer than a Zonda, CCX, Carrera GT or an Enzo. If anything it's more practical as you don't have to worry about scratching it's precious paint everywhere and I bet servicing the Ultima is at least 100 times cheaper than servicing any of the supercars mentioned above.

So, a tip from me is; Next time something like this happens, do some research before jumping conclusions...

For everyone getting all hurt over why Top Gear turned it down, remember that so far we have only heard Ultima's side of the story. Until anything else is said we have no reason to believe, or disbelieve, Ultima.
Also, the Power Board is for cars driven around the track by The Stig. As such, the time set by this car doesn't belong on the Powerboard at the moment. Remember that Ultima's test driver may be a better driver, or at least more familiar with the car than The Stig, and as such the car may have been quicker around the track than the Koenigsegg for a reason other than the GTR's speed.

My dad spoke with a man from Caparo (they build them here in Basingstoke) and according to him the same car that Plato drived will be going to Top Gear soon, whether it's the show or the magazine I'm not sure, but if it's the show then we will probably find out how fast it goes round the track.

This is for those who still sees this as no more than a stripped down track day car... (Copied from the article...)

There you go, it's no more of a stripped down racer than a Zonda, CCX, Carrera GT or an Enzo. If anything it's more practical as you don't have to worry about scratching it's precious paint everywhere and I bet servicing the Ultima is at least 100 times cheaper than servicing any of the supercars mentioned above.

So, a tip from me is; Next time something like this happens, do some research before jumping conclusions...

I read that article and a Owner's diary before I made my comments. Call me a cynic but manufacturer marketing claims and reality are rarely in agreement, I find it hard to distinguish fact from fiction without an unbiased review..

Isn't this more of a track day car like TG showed in there first season? With the Radical and such?
I think its better that them car or off the board.

Impressive time! Only 4 seconds slower than the DBR9 and it's a GT1 car! I remember seeing someone drive an Ultima GTR in Gumball 3000 videos, so I guess you really can use it on road.

Now we need the Stig to drive it to see how it really compares to other cars. I would take a luxury supercar over the GTR "track car" every day tho.

If the stig were to drive this GTR around the track, it would probably get anywhere from 12.7-13.1 seconds, obviously both the stig and the ultima test driver are able to handle the car so I dont see a big difference there,

and I thought it was american, but apparently just the engine

SBC FTW

but yeah, you'll never see this on Top Gear because its american and it won :mrgreen:

ding ding

however, i don't get how this car is so "ugly" beyond what i have already quoted. seriously, it looks like most other purpose built race barley road legal super cars out there.

It is definitely a useable road car

It is definitely a useable road car

There's a local guy here with a red Ultima GTR... I think the 500HP version. He got it registered road-legal in MN, he drives it 150+ miles to and from track days. He says he wears earplugs because it's loud on the road, but otherwise is pretty comfy.

Here's a pic of it in the track paddock next to my old Volvo :D

DSC_1292_Custom_.JPG

And BTW, the car is A LOT more beautiful in person than it is in photos. Dunno why, it just is.

yes it may be cheap, but in case of an accident how will it stand ? can it absorb the impact because i see the front end quite short, the passanger cell may remain intact but your insides not.

Anyway, astonishing never the less car.

Status
Not open for further replies.