Top Gear Test Track Record Time OBLITERATED! (NOT a show spoiler!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the picture. The ground clearance on the front is 1 inch, TOPS.

while braking hard for hammerhead, yes

but normally...

front.jpg

thats at least 2 inches, not bad for something this extreme

Like stated earlier, you can spec it with whatever you like, so if you want more padded seats and a nicely trimmed interior, stereo, sat-nav and air conditioning you just simply just spec it with that. I mean, what other car at this price level (less than ?40'000) offers such a combination of performace and useability. If you live in a place where it doesn't snow you can use it all year around... Just read through the FAQ...

Until I see a review from a source I respect or drive one myself, I expect it to be suicide in the damp, with a ride comfort equal to riding a bull on ecstasy (sorry glass half empty kind of guy). I actually like the car, but I very much doubt it's what we call a eierlegende Wollmichsau in German (egg laying Wool-milk-pig) and is anything more than a tracktoy. Is that the price for the kit version or a fully assembled kit from factory?

That photo is the car under braking. It's no lower than the Zonda, the lowest, non-lift-equipped car currently on the Lap Times board that I can recall.

I don't get why the Westfield and the Radical got taken off the board, and some of you are saying the GTR shouldn't count... yet the Atom can stay... seems a bit unfair, that...

IMO the GTR is as much of a 'road car' as the Ezno or Exige, which aren't really appointed any better, interior-wise, or the Zonda which doesn't have any more ground clearance. It's got real doors, A/C, and a boot... it's a road car and should fully qualify for the Lap Times board.

Until I see a review from a source I respect or drive one myself, I expect it to be suicide in the damp, with a ride comfort equal to riding a bull on ecstasy (sorry glass half empty kind of guy). I actually like the car, but I very much doubt it's what we call a eierlegende Wollmichsau in German (egg laying Wool-milk-pig) and is anything more than a tracktoy. Is that the price for the kit version or a fully assembled kit from factory?
Did you read the FAQ at all? Everything is adjustable and you can adjust, steering, brakes, aerodynamics, suspension and ride hight to whatever setting you might fancy. In addition to this it comes with a "TVR-traction control" which means a long throttle travel lettion you portion the power with ease.

About ?40'000 (depending on spec) is the price for the complete kit, whereas about ?60'000 (depending on spec)is for a turnkey car.

If thats left to stand, then by god, the Renault F1 should stay on the board!!
Yeah right, the Renault F1 is fully road legal and can be used every day... :rolleyes:

Wikipedia page is already updated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

I think we should see them mentioning this in the news segment on the next episode.

Clarkson's bias against american motors and spartan interior will not prevent true enthusiasts from appreciating this car's insane performance.

who can say this looks ugly?! it looks like a proper racecar, and it looks a lot better than some preposterous lamborghini stealth-fighter wannabe reventon! 8)

There have been some road-legal racers to the track before (radical from the top of my mindfrom series 1) and they were taken off the board.
I say that the board should be reserved for cars that can clear speed-bumps.

Not a road car in my opinion. The Caparo would prolly smash that time aswell.

And god damn its ugly!

The Ultima GTR ground clearance: 120mm

The Koenigsegg CCX ground clearance: 100mm

pwned.

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/gtr/specification.html

http://www.koenigsegg.com/thecars/ccx.asp?ccx=3

Looks like it's the CCX that should be taken off the board for "being too low to the ground and therefore not a usable supercar!"

LOL

Wait, why has Ultima been ignored by TG? I thought they loved the little boutique brands, especially British ones.

This is my question too. It seems odd that being a British show they would favor and highlight all the neat cars coming out of the UK.

Maybe Clarkson can't live with the fact that an American powered (chevy small block) and German driven (porsche gearbox) should dominate his little Power Lap board? His pride and self-esteem are too easily damaged by the things/places/people/etc. he loathe.

The argument against the "practicality" of this car is downright stupid. I can easily prove it.....look at the Ariel Atom...it is allowed to reside on the Power Lap board despite the fact that it is probably the most hardcore and least usable of all supercars...for one you can drive all the other cars, including the GTR, when it is raining. Not so with the Atom because it hasn't got a roof or doors!

^127mm is 5 inches if anyone doesn't feel like doing the conversion.

Here is a short video of the Ultima at the MPH show. The guys know about the car and are impressed, but why haven't they had it on Top Gear?
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1iwBtoYbMQ0[/YOUTUBE]

Clarkson's bias against american motors and spartan interior will not prevent true enthusiasts from appreciating this car's insane performance.

For about the third time, it's British.
If you are referring to the engine then there are already 18 cars on the Power Board with American engines.

who can say this looks ugly?! it looks like a proper racecar, and it looks a lot better than some preposterous lamborghini stealth-fighter wannabe reventon! 8)

Eh, no.

Wikipedia page is already updated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

I think we should see them mentioning this in the news segment on the next episode.

So if I bring a Caparo T1 on my own and drive it around the track it counts as an official Power Lap? -_-

Of course there are other american engines on the board. To ignore an entire continent would mean certain suicide. Even Clarkson is smart enough to figure that out. Hell the CCX's motor is based on a Ford-designed architecture.

But now that you mentioned it, it is quite baffling.

So why ARE the Top Gear staff refusing to review/test this wonderful car?

Of course there are other american engines on the board. To ignore an entire continent would mean certain suicide. Even Clarkson is smart enough to figure that out. Hell the CCX's motor is based on a Ford-designed architecture.

Koeningsegg made the engine by themselves. You might be thinking of the CCR, which had a block from Ford.

But now that you mentioned it, it is quite baffling.

So why ARE the Top Gear staff refusing to review/test this wonderful car?

Why don't you write to them and ask them, instead of cooking up some stupid self-made conspiracy theories. You're acting all butthurt about it as if you were part of the Ultima GTR development team. Take your meds and calm down.

So if I bring a Caparo T1 on my own and drive it around the track it counts as an official Power Lap? -_-

well, you know wikipedia. Someone should go in and add an asterik beside it to denote that it is not an "official" Power Lap.

But there is no need for "official" or "unofficial." The test seems to be legitimate and such a small time company would not risk their reputation by lying or cheating.

Hell, just because the Guiness Book of World Records never verified the Veyron's top speed does not mean Top Gear was lying to us when May drove it to 407kph.

If we all went by "official" records, then the Veyron was NEVER the fastest car at all at any point in history...which is completely preposterous.

Koeningsegg made the engine by themselves. You might be thinking of the CCR, which had a block from Ford.

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for that heads up! 8)

Why don't you write to them and ask them, instead of cooking up some stupid self-made conspiracy theories. You're acting all butthurt about it as if you were part of the Ultima GTR development team. Take your meds and calm down.

I did email Top Gear.

When did I ever mention anything remotely related to "conspiracy theories?" I was simply curious as to the reasons behind Top Gear's refusal to test a perfectly road-legal and wonderful piece of British engineering!

I'm not on any meds and I am quite calm.

I am simply asking a curious question as I'm sure many people have that same question.

When did I ever mention anything remotely related to "conspiracy theories?"

I believe you're the one who voiced the speculation that Clarkson personally refuses to allow the GTR on the show because of the presence of American engineering in the car and therefore it is subject to some 'Top Gear show' embargo. If that isn't ignorant crazy talk, I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.