Top Gear (the mag) drives the Volvo C30

geoff_a_pult

Car(s)
Volvo 1800S, Volvo 240DL
I don't like seeing big articles copy/pasted, and this is my topic so I'm enforcing my beliefs on everyone.
Link- http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/10/stories/03/1.html

Summary- They like it.
Good steering, good engine (the T5), fun handling, make up your own mind on the looks.

I think it is going to be an excellent addition to the sport/luxury hatch segment. It has the center console from the S40 which is generally praised, it looks unique (I think it looks good), and according to the magazine, it is "all a lot more fun than said [Audi A3]," so it should be a good drive.

Then again, I belong to a family that has 4 volvos currently, so I have a vested interest in Volvo producing a legitamate fun, cool car. What do you guys think?

looks nice, my family and I have never owned a Volvo cause they always looked boring.

But this is interesting, this and the XC90 are my two favorite Volvo.

Last edited:
I love this car.... but unfortunately the American market will probably get the one with the perfomance characteristics of soap on a rope.

1568.jpg

the best looking car of its category (BMW 1-series, VW Golf, Audi A3...)

Its a fantastic car....although i wish they called it the 480 because thats what it is.
That and the new Panda are the coolest new cheap(ish) cars.

No Boss said:
I love this car.... but unfortunately the American market will probably get the one with the perfomance characteristics of soap on a rope.

Gosh, it must be so tough living in the US sometimes...

Good stuff "The manual is a six-speed, which is one more than you'd need with all that torque but gets along well. Volvo says 6.2 seconds for 0-60mph, 6.7 for the more commonly quoted 0-62. Proper performance, then. "

West said:
No Boss said:

Gosh, it must be so tough living in the US sometimes...
Well cut us some slack. What else do we have to complain about?
You can yell about dingos eating your babies, the best we can do is bitch about getting too fat and getting slightly less awesome cars.
[in case of confusion- a common joke Australian phrase here is "Help! Dingos have gotten my baby!" I have absolutely no idea why]

I do see the similarity to the 480 (a car I didn't even know existed 'til recently; it never made it to the US), but I think if they were going to go with a historic title the 1800ES would be it, seeing as it seems to me that the 1800 is much more fondly remembered.
I just wish they'd get Lotus to design/tune the suspension like they did for the 480. Especially since Lotus wants to get back into the tuning business!

I like this car. now, if Volvo would just make S30 R AWD.. :drool:

Leonidae said:
I like this car. now, if Volvo would just make S30 R AWD.. :drool:

Exactly I will take mine with the drivetrain from the S60R/V70R.

Hell they don't even need to give me the full 300 hp. I would be happy with 275.

No Boss said:

1568.jpg
can't really see why. Volvo wont bring the diesels but they'll offer the different turboed 5-cyl's with manuals available.

bartboy9891 said:
can't really see why. Volvo wont bring the diesels but they'll offer the different turboed 5-cyl's with manuals available.

I can't see why Ford didn't bring over the Focus ST. Just one of those things we'll never understand

No Boss said:
bartboy9891 said:

I can't see why Ford didn't bring over the Focus ST. Just one of those things we'll never understand

Well diesels have all sorts of challenges still in the US market so that is why those are not coming over yet.

As for the Focus ST I have no explination either.

This is clearly the car for those who feel they are too good to drive a Ford :)

It's just a Volvo-ized Focus ST, better, I suppose, if you are more understated, but, IMO, not as cool looking. Just...funky.

Steve

Steve Levin said:
This is clearly the car for those who feel they are too good to drive a Ford :)

It's just a Volvo-ized Focus ST, better, I suppose, if you are more understated, but, IMO, not as cool looking. Just...funky.

Steve

But if you can't get the Focus ST....

Hot damn this car looks great!!

Go Volvo!

I miss our 850R :cry: :cry:

when i 1st saw the concept for this car i was utterly shocked it was a volvo, i guess ford let some of astons designers help out volvo :p

I adore the glass hatch :D

For those of you interested in finding out more about the C30, check out C30world.com

The forum is full of lots of enthusiastic owners and lots of good info.

I plan on picking one up through the over seas delivery program Volvo offers.