Top Gear (the mag) drives the Volvo C30

Know your roots

Volvo.jpg

volvo03.jpg

I just saw one today when I drove by a dealer. I think it looks brilliant, and it's come a long way since the SCC vehicle from a few years ago. I would have one in a heartbeat, but I do think they should do an "R" version with a higher pressure turbo and AWD.

I don't like seeing big articles copy/pasted, and this is my topic so I'm enforcing my beliefs on everyone.
Link- http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/10/stories/03/1.html
Just because you did that the link doesnt work! :p

You can order it in R-line trim but alas no R-models. And I dont think the "american" one will be any different in terms of suspension etc. It's easier and cheaper to make just one version to fit all markets.
As for it being a Ford, well it's more Ford being a Volvo with the new models. The Focus chassis (parts of it) as well as misc. details are made by Volvo in Olofstr?m.

Last edited:
Its a fantastic car....although i wish they called it the 480 because thats what it is.
That and the new Panda are the coolest new cheap(ish) cars.

The Volvo 480 has already been done!! A horrid little car!! So it would be the 500.. 8)

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU BUMP A YEAR OLD THREAD???
(directed at the first bumper)

I sat in one at the last autoshow in Philly.

SO AWESOME. Rear seat leg room is practically nonexistent, but the rear seats are two independent seats, not one bench. So that's cool. It was a base model so there really weren't any bells and/or whistles, but it was a nice place to be and the cloth seats were comfortable.

I sat in one at the last autoshow in Philly.

SO AWESOME. Rear seat leg room is practically nonexistent, but the rear seats are two independent seats, not one bench. So that's cool. It was a base model so there really weren't any bells and/or whistles, but it was a nice place to be and the cloth seats were comfortable.

Good news to hear I want to buy one 8)

Sweet, it redirects me to a James May article!

My local dealership just got one last week. I reeeeeeeally wanted to like it but...

1) Many of the interior materials (hard plastics) felt flimsy, thin, and cheap.
2) All of the knobs feel artificially weighted by inexpensive means, ie. putting a piece of felt behind the knob, so that the knob is held back, but over time it'll rub down and the knob will go "light."
3) The small glass-hatch creates a not very practical dropped-down loading area. It' slike you're placing things into a box, rather than sliding them into a hatchback. I think they should have worked harder to give it a flat loading area...otherwise, it's just a tall trunk. I know, I know...but it bothered me. Seems more of a novelty that a "feature."
4) The back seat is set WAY back behind the door...but suprisingly you don't get all that much legroom an exchange for the difficulties getting out. Also, the seat doesn't go back to it's original position when it's pulled forward...I hate that...

I did like...
1) The steeting wheel felt great, but looks a bit plain without any buttons.
2) I thought the seats were fabulous, but maybe it's just because I just drove a Honda Fit/Jazz. Honda doesn't seem to make a car that "fits" me.
3) I think it looks fantastic...although...if the A3 was available in 2-door version here, I would preffer the Audi.

3) The small glass-hatch creates a not very practical dropped-down loading area. It' slike you're placing things into a box, rather than sliding them into a hatchback. I think they should have worked harder to give it a flat loading area...otherwise, it's just a tall trunk. I know, I know...but it bothered me. Seems more of a novelty that a "feature."

I understand the "throwback" design of the hatch glass to the p1800 estate(?), and that's great, but you're right. The rear hatch size wasn't small, but the opening was confined and awkward. I feel if you were trying to put a long box or bag of "golf bats" in the back you would just end up with a lot of scratches around the frame of the hatch.

4) The back seat is set WAY back behind the door...but suprisingly you don't get all that much legroom an exchange for the difficulties getting out.

That's what I was saying about to a "T". I think they went for a more "Form over Function" approach with the seating arrangement. But, as I said above, those two sort-of-independent rear seats are cool.

I can't see why Ford didn't bring over the Focus ST. Just one of those things we'll never understand

Because Ford USA is run by self serving idiots who would be out of a job if they didn't market their own inferior US market crap.

No, because the market wouldn't pay $25-$30k for a Focus.
Enthusiasts might, but that's a really small number.

Here's the thing if they at least offered the motor in the focus it would be a plus...Anyways I saw one of the new C30's at the dealer with a Swedish flag on the roof they look like a regular Volvo from the front but the rear just wow!

One of the few hatches I like based on looks.

But just too expensive to consider over other sedans and coupes.

Does it have the Swedish flag on it? I've seen that some dealer's are selling them with that..

Yeah but that is a sticker so you can take it off if you don't like it.

That blue one my dealer has is an automatic so I don't know if I even want to bother driving it. They ordered three C30s in the first batch. Two of them were manuals and one was an automatic. The automatic just arrived first. :cry:

Seen one "in the flesh" really, really like it. The rears resemblance to the P1800 wagon/estate is really nice and in keeping with the oveall look. I am a Focus fan but this may be better, need to find a drive in one from somewhere.

Is this assembled in Holland anyone know?

Seen one "in the flesh" really, really like it. The rears resemblance to the P1800 wagon/estate is really nice and in keeping with the oveall look. I am a Focus fan but this may be better, need to find a drive in one from somewhere.

Is this assembled in Holland anyone know?

I will look at the window sticker on the one we have tomorrow if I remember to stop by that dealership.