Top Gear USA on NBC official! Eric Stromer is third host

He's a face, you think NBC would forget something to draw in the female viewers? You get the ladies watching too, you can advertise to ladies = more $$$ in their pockets. They aren't stupid, if they were they couldn't pay Leno his $520,000 a week salary. It's all about the $$$$.

I can't pass much judgement on the guy since I've never heard of him, but Tanner Foust is useless, I'll watch for Adam, he may be our only hope.

It's kind of funny, they've got Stromer for a face, Foust for driving skill, and Adam for knowledge and comedy.....and I don't doubt that is exactly how they (NBC) looked at it, "Ok, we need a funny guy, a guy who can drive and someone too look at..." Good ole network TV <_<
if they wanted just eye-candy for the ladies, nbc could've still picked someone that has something to actually offer in regards to automotives.

i'd rather them cast martina navratilova, whom i just learned is passionate about racing, than strommer or foust. this motortrend article is very insightful about her experiences and philosophy. having see several interviews and documentaries, i wouldn't be upset at all if she were to host top gear us.
Navratilova is a car connoisseur. "The 928 was okay, the 911 is sweet," she begins saying. "I drove a 959 Porsche in Germany 20 years ago now and I had the thing going 200 miles an hour, so that was fun. I think we drove for two hours and averaged about 150 miles an hour. So that was a blast. This is 20 years ago when there wasn't so much traffic."

That was the Autobahn, right? "Yup," she replies. "You can't do that anymore because there's too many cars. You might have the performance but you don't have the opportunity."

One of the only upscale marques she has not owned is a Lamborghini. "I've had a Ferrari, I've had a bunch of Porches, a couple of Jaguars, of course, Mercedes."

When I ask her which Ferrari she owned, she replies, "I had the worst Ferrari of all time, the 400i. It was a four-seater piece of crap because the turning radius was like a hundred yards," Navratilova says, laughing. "I couldn't get it in and out of my garage because I had to keep going back and forth, back and forth, just so I could fit it in. Pain in the ass. I bought it in Texas and I sold it Texas. That was a bad Ferrari."
http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/112_0804_martina_navratilova_celebrity_drive/index.html

Last edited:
Do you happen to remember what day / segment that was said in? I wanna listen. ^_^

2008-06-11, I think it's near the end of the second segment.
Specifically at around 32 minutes of the complete show.

"Exactly as they do it in England. No meddling, big-time cars. Crazy big time stuff, and you get to say anything you want, good and bad, about any car you drive."

i'd rather them cast martina navratilova, whom i just learned is passionate about racing, than strommer or foust. this motortrend article is very insightful about her experiences and philosophy. having see several interviews and documentaries, i wouldn't be upset at all if she were to host top gear us.

Ah, but that gets into 'women hosting Gear' territory, see the relevant thread.

Last edited:
Not interested in these guys

Not interested in these guys

I am sorry, but I think we all are fans of Jeremy, James and Richard. They are the real deal. They love cars and they love doing that show. The people they have picked for the US show all seem to having nothing to do with cars and even less to do with a car show. They all seem to be worried about just doing another TV show so that they can keep the bills payed.

While I get the part about paying the bills. I don't get the American Crew, maybe they picked the worst bunch they could so that in the end the Brits could have one more joke about the Bloody Yanks not getting it right....

I am sorry, but I am a dummy.

Yeah, because a rally racer/stunt driver, a person who owns several cars and loves to talk about all kinds of cars and racing, and a person who may not spend a lot of time with cars but is a good friend of one of the aforementioned people certainly have nothing to do with cars. And the fact that Adam constantly talks about Top Gear and how excited he is to do it clearly shows he's not excited about it. Add to this the fact that at least two of the hosts already get along well and you know that there will be no chemistry between any of them.

It's a damn good thing you signed up to shine this light on the subject. If only more people would to this, our forum here would be just brimming with useful and informed insight.

2008-06-11, I think it's near the end of the second segment.
Specifically at around 32 minutes of the complete show.

"Exactly as they do it in England. No meddling, big-time cars. Crazy big time stuff, and you get to say anything you want, good and bad, about any car you drive."
Mmm, good listen. Thanks!

Ah, but that gets into 'women hosting Gear' territory, see the relevant thread.
yes, and i posted, "no", in that thread. that was before i read that motortrend article. i am disappointed with how the casting has panned out. martina's genuine passion for automobilia, racing, collecting, her experience in front of hte camera, her charisma and pleasant demeanor, etc. would make her a fine host for top gear, imo. and to be a little un-pc, she's just a like a dude anyways.:idiot:

yes, and i posted, "no", in that thread. that was before i read that motortrend article. i am disappointed with how the casting has panned out. martina's genuine passion for automobilia, racing, collecting, her experience in front of hte camera, her charisma and pleasant demeanor, etc. would make her a fine host for top gear, imo. and to be a little un-pc, she's just a like a dude anyways.:idiot:

Now other than the dude bit at the end (other than in some of her manner) I would say the same about Jodie Kidd, so why did you vote no in the 'women on top gear' thread again?

Yeah, because a rally racer/stunt driver, a person who owns several cars and loves to talk about all kinds of cars and racing, and a person who may not spend a lot of time with cars but is a good friend of one of the aforementioned people certainly have nothing to do with cars. And the fact that Adam constantly talks about Top Gear and how excited he is to do it clearly shows he's not excited about it. Add to this the fact that at least two of the hosts already get along well and you know that there will be no chemistry between any of them.

It's a damn good thing you signed up to shine this light on the subject. If only more people would to this, our forum here would be just brimming with useful and informed insight.

I've been hearing comments like his on all the car forums I'm on, it is kind of pathetic, they are already slamming the show without even giving it a chance. They all sound like the idiots who panned "The Office" and "Battlestar Galacitca" when they were being remade without giving them a chance.

Now other than the dude bit at the end (other than in some of her manner) I would say the same about Jodie Kidd, so why did you vote no in the 'women on top gear' thread again?
because i'm operatiing on the assumption that nbc will f it up and cast simply a face, rather than someone actually worth a damn.

i didn't speak out against jodie kidd specifically. iirc, i posted even before she was mentioned. as far as she is concerned though, i don't think she would be given the respect as a proper gearhead. there's always a bias against pretty girls, whether intentional or not. i think she would be relegated to simply being a face. someone like martina navratilova, on the other hand, isn't exactly a prim stargazer. i think she'd be allowed to contribute more significantly, and everyone (including viewers) would treat here more seriously. also, i'm not really familiar with how jodie kidd is on camera, but navratilova is rather charismatic.

because i'm operatiing on the assumption that nbc will f it up and cast simply a face, rather than someone actually worth a damn.

An assumption, rather than an objection to having an attractive woman in the team.

i didn't speak out against jodie kidd specifically. iirc, i posted even before she was mentioned.

You should have checked, as you knew I would. I mentioned Jodie on the 1st page. Your 1st post is on page 2. Just look for my post of April 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM which says "Like Jodie Kidd", in response to a post by Crazzysimon. Yours is the one immediately after at Old April 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM.

...prim stargazer...

A what? You know Jodie Kidd is famous for her coke snorting, and enters the Gumball regularly?

also, i'm not really familiar with how jodie kidd is on camera, but navratilova is rather charismatic.

Can't remember the SIARPC interview at least?

you got me on when i posted, and i really didn't expect you to check the history. i still didn't specifically say no against her. i just posted a simple, "no", generally opposed to any female host.

yep, i'm aware of her notorious private affairs and her automotive prowess. entertainment news seems to have replaced actual news in the united states.

just vaguely. iirc, didn't she place high, beat simon cowell's laptime, or something?

Getting back on topic:

I'm not really sure what I think of Eric Stromer, but he seems funny enough. It's just a real put-off that he's on HGTV. My mom watches that. All day, every day. It's terrible, all of their shows, and most of their hosts are just pretty faces with nothing going on inside. I hope they haven't chosen him simply to attract women, but I'm not going to judge him just yet.