Top Gear will go on for the next 3 years (at least)

blackwind

We all know that there have been talks going on about the end of Top Gear. The recent controversies coupled with the now old jokes and everyone was speculation that Top Gear was finally going to end. Well, if you were one of those I would like to tell you that you were wrong. The three presenters are about to renew their contract for another 3 years. Came upon this Mirror article just now -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gears-jeremy-clarkson-sign-5048311

So Top Gear is still going to be with us till 2018. And possibly even after that... and then after that... and after even that and probably even more.

A lot of people here are complaining and saying that the show should come to an end, but I disagree and think that it's great news that it's getting renewed. Even if some episodes are dull or very ridiculous, it's still a good way to kill an hour and get some entertainment on a Sunday evening.

The press were saying exactly the same thing last May and nothing came of it and since this is the Mirror I would take it with an entire mine full of salt. .

I suggest erring on the side of caution until it's official. Right now the current run finishes on March 29th just in time for when the current contracts are alleged to expire.

I'm glad to read this, but until it's official and confirmed, I'm not going to relax.

I know how trustworthy the Mirror is, but for once I feel that this information might be correct. The reasons given by the team are convincing. BBC wouldn't cancel a show watched by 350+ million viewers just because a group of buffoons think that some "jokes" made by three British clowns offends them. Its the most profitable show for BBC for crying out loud. I believe the show will go on.

I don't think it needs to end - I just think it needs another 2002-esque reboot. The old format was pretty awesome back in the day too - but then it got old. Well, same thing is happening now.

I don't think it needs to end - I just think it needs another 2002-esque reboot. The old format was pretty awesome back in the day too - but then it got old. Well, same thing is happening now.

That won't happen for two major reasons. It's the blueprint for all the other licensed versions of the show around the globe and a reboot would mean getting rid of the three current presenters; can't see any of them letting go any time soon, particularly Clarkson.

I doubt it'll last another 3 years, contract or not. Wouldn't be surprised if one of them (May) would have enough of it fairly soon, before that contract would end.

Jeremy is the anchor for the show, he'll definitely remain. And doesn't he make like 6x more per episode than May and Hammond? But May and Hammond have other projects anyways - especially May - and dare I say I think I get more excited when I find out May has another episode airing...

But man, I finally got around to seeing the QI episode with Clarkson - hilarious - so I know it's not Clarkson that I'm tiring of either, it's just TG with the same staged antics every episode. It's just so unbelievably predictable that it's starting to get boring.

being a presenter on Top Gear is not only lucrative, but has to be the most fun anyone can possibly have.
They travel the globe with their mates, drink and eat all kinds of cuisine, drive the cars of their dreams/the future/the past/the present, and meet incredible people doing incredible things~
They also get a lot of down-time between Series.

Unless they don't like doing that, why would they quit?

Sure, they almost died in USA and Argentina and Bolivia and many other places.. =P

I haven't watched TG since 2011 and I was a huge fan of what that show was. 4 years later, I feel like I haven't missed one scripted thing.

I basically started watching Top Gear regularly and I think there has been some really good stuff in that time, I know I'm in the minority here where everything bad is called scripting but I still maintain that they've made great films on top gear, that Bentley rally film was really cool to watch, the Spain trip had some fun moments and when Clarkson aquaplanes the BMW.

I haven't watched TG since 2011 and I was a huge fan of what that show was. 4 years later, I feel like I haven't missed one scripted thing.

Then amongst the lame scripted fail you have also missed some really good films.

being a presenter on Top Gear is not only lucrative, but has to be the most fun anyone can possibly have.
They travel the globe with their mates, drink and eat all kinds of cuisine, drive the cars of their dreams/the future/the past/the present, and meet incredible people doing incredible things~
They also get a lot of down-time between Series.

I agree. I don't think any of the presenters really have a desire to quit at the moment. Otherwise they wouldn't have committed to a ten episode + specials run this year and just done a lot less like they did last year.

Personally, I think the ideal arrangement would be one long season of Top Gear a year - a Christmas special plus ten regular episodes in a big run. It would give them plenty of time to work on other projects, think of good ideas for TG and perhaps film some of the more time intensive stuff (e.g. the Australia film), but without having too much airtime to have to resort to TG Comedy? just to fill episodes. It would also benefit us as we know exactly what we are getting and when. Regardless, I'd rather see TG continuing because I still enjoy the show 95% of the time.

A monthly epizode (except July and August, they do need some holiday) would be even better.

If anything, the Australia episode this season showed that they've still got a lot left in them. Why would they stop? If they're having fun, and we're having fun, there's no reason to.

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. This thread says we've got three more years to look forward to, and now we're probably mourning Top Gear's passing.

Well, it's final, so I'm very happy that I won't have to watch TG get any worse. Excuse me while I dust off my old external HDD with seasons 1-13 and binge watch until my pants don't fit anymore.

RIP Top Gear, it's best to go out on top anyways.