(Touch) Smartphone show down

Get either the HTC or the Samsung, you can install Android on them. :)

What about the internet browsers and Youtube? I don't know much about the other two but one of the huge things about the iPhone is the fact that you get a real desktop browser with ability to zoom in on parts you want. Windows Mobile uses a much crappier browser (from what I have seen)

Both the HTC and the Samsung uses Opera 9.5 which in every regard is miles better than Safari, the browser on the iPhone. It does everything Safari does plus a bunch of extra little nifty features.

Youtube is also a fun thing to do when you are going to work (tho I spend most of the commute under ground with no signal). That's the big thing about the iPhone it has a huge number of entertainment features that other phones don't seem to have.

Both the HTC and the Samsung comes with a Youtube client.

It would also be interesting to know how they handle e-books. I use mobipocket on the crackberry to read stuff on the train, it's very nice :)

There are loads of e-book readers for all three.

I am not sure about the hardware, but I am currently doing a course called Human Computer Interaction and we have masochistically dissected the iphone/ipod touch user interface and the machine-human link. I think it will take a very long time till it starts tiring you. And as is the case with something with which you live in and live out, it makes a difference.

Really? I got tired of it within 30 seconds. But then again, I hate touch screens. You have to look at them to use them, they get all fingerprinty when you use them and then when you try and clean it, you start going into every application you happen to touch unless you lock it.

Out of those three, the HTC looks best to me. It's smallest and has more non-touch buttons than the other two.

When is the Samsung Omnia going on sale? How much is it excepted to cost in Europe?

Also, you mentioned that there are great Windows mobile apps, I couldn't find anything interesting. Care to share your findings?

When is the Samsung Omnia going on sale? How much is it excepted to cost in Europe?

Also, you mentioned that there are great Windows mobile apps, I couldn't find anything interesting. Care to share your findings?

It's going on sale in Europe on the 17th, there are FCC reports of a American version with what ever bands you use over thar and that will go on sale in August.

Most of the Apps i found where from this WM blog. It's a little overwhelming just browsing through all the apps, this place picks the best.

There is a lot of crap Apps for WM because everyone can release theirs but there are multiple places that have reviews and such.

Ouch, was just reading that the 8gb Omnia will be $800 and the 16gb will be $1100 in the US. And apparently it will just be for At&t sadly. Looks like I'm getting the Instinct.

Ouch, was just reading that the 8gb Omnia will be $800 and the 16gb will be $1100 in the US. And apparently it will just be for At&t sadly. Looks like I'm getting the Instinct.

I'll be returning my instinct in the next week. There are some good and some bad things about it. But I prefer the iPhone. The biggest drawback for the instinct is the terrible browser and spotty call quality. But if I had no choice but to be with Sprint, I would be fine with it (or maybe even the HTC touch). The Instinct does have visual voicemail, which is cool...I don't know if there are any applications for it though, I got bored with what mine had. Um, Sprint TV is pretty neat. And the GPS on the device is really good. Biggest plus is the cheaper monthly plans, best prices out there.

Thanks for the answers and links.

Regarding the price in Europe will it also be around 800$?

I really don't get what all this fuss about WM being difficult to use is about? I've always had windows mobile devices, and if you know how you use a windows desktop computer than you should be able to pick up a WM device without too much trouble.

The omnia is very good because it simplifies, to an extent, the normal WM interface, but even on other devices WM is still very good, not to mention easier to synchronize data with. The HTC Diamond looks nice, but its a bit too pricey for the specs I think.

Thanks for the answers and links.

Regarding the price in Europe will it also be around 800$?

I read a few places say the 16gb (Which will be launched first) Will be just over $800 in Europe, even if it hits $1000 for some reason it's still much cheaper than the iPhone.

I really don't get what all this fuss about WM being difficult to use is about? I've always had windows mobile devices, and if you know how you use a windows desktop computer than you should be able to pick up a WM device without too much trouble.

The omnia is very good because it simplifies, to an extent, the normal WM interface, but even on other devices WM is still very good, not to mention easier to synchronize data with. The HTC Diamond looks nice, but its a bit too pricey for the specs I think.

The newest batch of high end WM phones have all added to the normal WM interface so your day-to-day activities will have nothing to do with WM but HTC's TouchFlo or Samsungs TouchWiz. On the Omnia you'll have a choice between 3! home screens which is kinda nifty.. WM 7 should be out Q1 2009 and that'll be made for touch phones and not stylus phones.

If you need, for some reason to delve into WM on the Omnia it'll have a touch pad if your fingers are too fat no need for a stylus, which you will need on the Touch Diamond.

So is the Samsung out yet?

17th. :p

I'm waiting for it too. Played with the 480 at a local electronics store today. Really nifty, but doesn't have wifi or the cool browser. Or the 5 megapixel camera. The widget menu seems a bit sluggish, but the Omnia is supposed to have a faster processor anyway.

Is there official pricing for a non contract phone?

Is there official pricing for a non contract phone?

Depends on your country and provider, some won't sell it without contact some will unlock it for you but you'll still be stuck with a contact you wont use. Anyway you put it you are going to get fucked..

I'll be getting the XDA Diamond (aka HTC Touch Diamond) next-ish week. Can't wait to see how it stacks up against the iPhone. But I'll probably gonna ditch both anyway and go back to a thin S///.

I'll be getting the XDA Diamond (aka HTC Touch Diamond) next-ish week. Can't wait to see how it stacks up against the iPhone. But I'll probably gonna ditch both anyway and go back to a thin S///.

Only complaint i have heard about it is that the QWERTY keyboard can only REALLY be used with a stylus..

Also for people in the US, some nifty hackers just released a radio ROM patch that makes the Diamond Quadband!

http://rapidshare.com/files/129598071/Diamond_Radio_1.00.25.05.rar

Only complaint i have heard about it is that the QWERTY keyboard can only REALLY be used with a stylus..

Well, that's an absolute knockout argument, is it 2003? What's the point of a touchscreen if you can't operate it by actually touching it? <_<

I guess if you fell in love with Apple Multitouch once, you can't go back.