Ownership Verified: Toyota Corolla wagon

geeman

suomiface
Car(s)
Toyota Corolla,Chevrolet Corvette,Alfa Romeo Mito
You read that right. I own a Corolla now :)

Here it is

It's grandpas old car. It's from 1968. 1.1l engine.

It has been sitting in dad's garage for many years. The garage is full of things (as pictured) and dad has been supposed to clean up for a while, regarding to that dad started to talk about selling the old car. I have kind of wanted to sometime restore the car and I convinced dad to forget about selling it. Dad told grandpa and he said I might as well have the car, so apart from some paperwork the car is now mine.

As said the car has been sitting there for a long time. Neither grandpa or dad could remember exactly when it was last started, but I am guessing it's been at least 10 years probably more. It has been unregistered since the 90s. The plan now is to restore it, not quite sure when though.

More pictures (incl. proof pic) and details coming soon-ish.

Proof pic

Last edited:
It needs a turbo.

So it looked like this when new (except white):
70corollawagon2.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. Will this be a full restoration or a restomod?
Restoration.

I would like to get it museum registered, but first priority of course is to get it running and on the road.

Restoration.

I would like to get it museum registered, but first priority of course is to get it running and on the road.

aww-yeah.png

Looking forward to this.

Very cool, actually looks not bad, no obvious rot bursting out of the paint. I'm curious as to how well a 1960s Toyota has survived Finland while most of the Corollas over here were rusted out after about 8 years...
Some of the rust spots were fixed some time ago and the car has not been really driven after that. Also the front fenders have been replaced with glass fiber ones (good for not rusting, but not good for the museum registration). I am sure rust will be somewhat of an issue though. Fuel tank is one thing that I know is rusted quite badly.

Anyway I will know a lot more what needs to be done when we get all the junk out of the way and get to move the car, letting us inspect it better.

Fuel tank, fuel lines, filter, carb cleaning, spark plugs, wires, engine oil, coolant. Right?

nah.. some petrol and a good spark :D

Fuel tank, fuel lines, filter, carb cleaning, spark plugs, wires, engine oil, coolant. Right?
Also battery.

And brakes. Last time grandpa moved it it didn't really have any brakes :p

Last edited:
There's a car under there? :D

Don't think I've ever seen a corolla of that generation before, if it's like the picture nicjasno posted then that's a very pretty little car. Good luck with the restoration.

Wow, I imagined this was some boring new corolla, so I didn't bother clicking this topic open earlier. :D

Really, really nice car, good luck with restoration! At least bodywork doesn't seem too bad, if that storaging hasn't done any damage to it.

These cars of this generation are fascinating. ? Keep the forum up to date about this one please?
I will. I can't promise that the progress will be quick though.

[t]he front fenders have been replaced with glass fiber ones (good for not rusting, but not good for the museum registration).
Are you sure about that? I know the regulations are completely different from country to country even within the EU, but at least over here replica renders are okay, no matter if they are made from steel or GFK, as long as they look the part.

Not completely sure. In the past the rules were quite strict at least. But apparently they have become more lenient over the years, so maybe those will do.

Me and dad tried to get it started today.
The engine turned over with starter fine. Oil and coolant seemed to flow. Also carburetor looked to work fine. The problem was no spark.

So the problem is somewhere in the ignition coil, the distributor or spark plugs. The sparks and distributor looked quite good and new, so we deducted that the problem is most likely in the ignition coil.

Anyway, here are some pics:

Reactions: TC