Toyota planning small RWD coupe below FT-86

A7XFan22

Sauce

2aaatrm.jpg

Toyota has started work on turning a hot hatch concept into a low-cost, rear-wheel-drive coup?.
The car is being made in tribute to the firm?s chief test driver, Hiromu Naruse, who was killed recently in a road accident near the N?rburgring.

The new model, based on the GRMN Hot Hatch Concept, revealed at the Tokyo Auto Salon at the start of this year, is designed to offer more affordable performance and desirability than the FT-86, which has been delayed and given an inflated price since being approved for production.

The idea of a front-engined, rear-drive model for young enthusiasts was said to be a pet project of Hiromu Naruse, who died at the wheel of a Lexus LFA he?d been testing.

When asked at the Auto Salon what his young engineers wanted to build, he said, ?A car that is a blast to drive and rear-wheel drive. And priced low enough to get younger buyers into it."

The Hot Hatch Concept was developed on existing platforms and engines, in a bid to keep down its costs.

Based on the Aygo, it features a Daihatsu-sourced 1.5-litre engine that drives the rear wheels, and it weighs less than 1000kg.

It has relatively sophisticated double wishbone rear suspension but is expected to sell for less than 1.4 million yen (?10,250).

Toyota has now decided to slot a model based on these principles into its range beneath the FT-86.

The GRMN team has been given the brief of ?fun to drive? and ?cheap? for the car, which could be built at the same factory in Osaka that makes the 660cc Daihatsu Copen.

It could well beat the FT-86 to market, too. Insiders suggest it will go on sale in 2012, priced ?8000-?10,000 less than its bigger brother.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, if the chassis is good, definite candidate for a motor swap/turbo :twisted:

I believe it when I see it at the dealer.

"Based on the Aygo"

I wonder how they are going to turn this into a Coupe...

Considering the size I wonder how much room there will be for the transmission tunnel. Unless they make it RR

Based on the Aygo, it features a Daihatsu-sourced 1.5-litre engine

Do not want Daihatsu engine. Do not want Aygo chassis, either. Third rate Japanese engine with third rate French chassis... no, just no.

Do not want Daihatsu engine. Do not want Aygo chassis, either. Third rate Japanese engine with third rate French chassis... no, just no.

[silly purist]
But but but, its a RWD COUP?!
[/silly purist]

I'll just take the FT-86, but having another small coupe on the market isn't something I'm going to complain about.

Can you guys find other examples of Front engine, rear wheel drive hatchbacks? I cant really think of any off the top of my head. None since the late 70's anyway, and certainly no good ones.

Can you guys find other examples of Front engine, rear wheel drive hatchbacks? I cant really think of any off the top of my head. None since the late 70's anyway, and certainly no good ones.

Yeah, F-bodies weren't good ones despite being FR hatchbacks :p. Not many not hatch-sized ones, if that's what you're asking; the only one in that category I can think of is the BMW 1-series, and the RWD Corolla hatchbacks.

Last edited:
[silly purist]
But but but, its a RWD COUP?!
[/silly purist]

So was this, but that doesn't mean it was good.
starlet.jpg

Fox body liftbacks come immediately to mind.

Last edited:
Yeah, F-bodies weren't good ones despite being FR hatchbacks :p. Not many not hatch-sized ones, if that's what you're asking; the only one in that category I can think of is the BMW 1-series, and the RWD Corolla hatchbacks.

We've had this discussion before, lots of sports cars technically have "hatchbacks" but the Corvette doesn't really count, now does it?

1-Series is all that came to mind for me.

Fox body liftbacks come immediately to mind.

I am defeated.

Also spectre beat me to it, the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette system is called a "Liftback", the hatch is not covering the flat back end of the car like an old civic or golf, but is kind of sitting on the "top" of the car, but on the rear half, and usually has a ridiculously huge curved piece of glass.

I im unsure if the fox falls under the hatchback, or liftback catagory

To recap:

Hatch:
htup_0804_23_z%2Bk20_turbo_honda_civic_eg_hatch%2Brear_view%2Bspoon_sports_carbon_fiber_rear_spoiler_carbon_fiber_rear_hatch.jpg

Not a hatch:
0209081044.jpg

(Psst, his window is only semi-open because his power window motor is failing, and he needs to help the motor manually :) )

Last edited:
Liftbacks are technically a subset of hatchbacks.

Other examples include the Z31 and Z32 300ZX, the 350Z, the 370Z, etc.

nissan-350z-design-20.jpg

So was this, but that doesn't mean it was good.
starlet.jpg

Woah now... Starlets weren't amazing but they certainly weren't crap either. I know plenty of people that track them not to mention the untold thousands that were sacrificed to the rally gods... also drag racing lots and lots of drag racing.

KP60 Starlets were made until 84 and the Chrysler/Talbot Sunbeam was made until 81 but both obviously have their roots in the 70's

... So in tribute to a long-time chief test engineer (the man spent nearly 50 years with the company), they're cobbling together a cheap-ass, bottom-rung coupe from the parts bin?

Thanks, Toyota. Just finish the damned FT86 already.

Last edited:
... So in tribute to a long-time chief test engineer (the man spent nearly 50 years with the company), they're cobbling together a cheap-ass, bottom-rung coupe from the parts bin?

Thanks, Toyota. Just finish the damned FT86 already.

The world is really REALLY short of affordable rear wheel drive cars, every single one that comes out is worth a celebration.

Not affordable? Doesnt exist to me. Front or all wheel drive? Doesnt exist to me. Good on toyota for making this car. You never know, i may buy one.

A RWD manual car for 16-18 thousand would be fantastic.