Toyota Supra 2019

I'm not sure how I feel about this Supra with so much of it being based on a BMW. At least it reportedly has an inline 6.

Specs are disappointing, too little power in the current market. Especially if it's priced similarly to how it was in the 90s

Do not want. Why? The A80 exists and used to be a thing. Everything else with that Supra badge in today's world will be going downhill. Just look at the new NSX, what a waste. All of these Japanese supercars from the 90's need to stay retired and enjoy the hall of fame because in today's world they will be bastardized and irrelevant. The only Japanese supercar that managed to maintain its awesomeness is the current GT-R.

Oh, also, its a Toyota so there's that too.

I never actually liked the Supra, don't like the way the look and the fanboism around it is just too much. It's straight up capitalizing on nostalgia, the A80 is massively popular (thanks Paul Walker). Even though it's not all that special, stock it is slow as hell, tuned they typically take forever to spool up and go and people forget this but it cost ridiculous amount of money when it was sold new.

It is in the same class as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Nissan 300ZX. I actually like this entire generation of Japanese coupes, including the Supra (the 300ZX is still my favorite). I like the fact the new one has an inline 6 and the twin turbos should help with quicker spooling, depending on their size. I'd rather have a little less power and a lot less weight rather than more of both, but that's me.

Well ZX is untouched of course but it was more Japanese muscle (so is the Supra and 3000GT really) than the current Z car. It's not that light, only around 200lbs less than my Mustang and about the same as the 370z. Hell it's only slightly lighter than a C7 Vette. Is it a twin turbo or is it a twin scroll because that's what BMW uses right now and while their engines pull pretty well (I got to drive a friend's M240i) their HP peaks relatively early, you have about a 1000rpm of tach where it's just completely flat.

The difference will be price, if they try to price it same way the A80 was priced then they can go and DIAF, but if it's around same as the Z then it would be a nice option for a sports car that's not the usual suspects.

Blind_Io;n3546239 said:
It is in the same class as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Nissan 300ZX. I actually like this entire generation of Japanese coupes, including the Supra (the 300ZX is still my favorite). I like the fact the new one has an inline 6 and the twin turbos should help with quicker spooling, depending on their size. I'd rather have a little less power and a lot less weight rather than more of both, but that's me.

Lets be real, I loved and really miss my VR-4. I agree with this. This era of Japanese sport coupes was brilliant. Don't forget the R33 in on that list too.

prizrak;n3546234 said:
I never actually liked the Supra, don't like the way the look and the fanboism around it is just too much. It's straight up capitalizing on nostalgia, the A80 is massively popular (thanks Paul Walker). Even though it's not all that special, stock it is slow as hell, tuned they typically take forever to spool up and go and people forget this but it cost ridiculous amount of money when it was sold new.

Thankfully I knew of the Supra long before that stupid fast and furious series.

JCE;n3546243 said:

We get it, your'e a hipster. :p

JCE;n3546243 said:
Lets be real, I loved and really miss my VR-4. I agree with this. This era of Japanese sport coupes was brilliant. Don't forget the R33 in on that list too.

R33 sucked, R34 is where its at! I almost got the 3000gt but then I did some research lol

So, it's been close to 20 years since the last Supra. Horsepower has only been bumped by 15 horsepower? Don't like the BMW link. The Supra originally beat the likes of the Camaro and Mustang. This car can barely hang on. Furthermore, the A80 was expensive for its time. In today's prices it was approximately $70,000.00. All Toyota had to do was keep the weight at 3200lbs, rear wheel drive, 480-500horsepower (Toyota already has engine that can meet these demands... hint: 2018 Lexus LS), no fancy gadgets, transmission (6 or 7 speed manual or even dual clutch), beautiful but conservative styling.... and it would of been a monster. I'm afraid this new engine will not have reliability that the original 2JZ.

I fear this will be the next NSX that isn't selling.

Yeah, see, what you just described is the Lexus RC. My working theory is that the RC really is the current Supra, but nobody buys it because, well, it's not badged as such. Ergo, they needed something badged as a supra and priced slightly lower.

Hopefully it will be as reliable and well-priced as a Toyota and as exciting as a BMW . Not the other way around.

Last edited:
gaasc;n3546364 said:
Yeah, see, what you just described is the Lexus RC. My working theory is that the RC really is the current Supra, but nobody buys it because, well, it's not badged as such. Ergo, they needed something badged as a supra and priced slightly lower.

Hopefully it will be as reliable and well-priced as a Toyota and as exciting as a BMW . Not the other way around.

It's a BMW motor not a Toyota motor, it won't be nearly as reliable as the old 2J was, even by Toyota standards of the time that power plant was absolutely ridiculous.

prizrak;n3546370 said:
It's a BMW motor not a Toyota motor, it won't be nearly as reliable as the old 2J was, even by Toyota standards of the time that power plant was absolutely ridiculous.

^ This.

I only said as reliable as a toyota, not *that* toyota.

Fine, let's settle for "I hope it has a dipstick"?

gaasc;n3546380 said:
I only said as reliable as a toyota, not *that* toyota.

Fine, let's settle for "I hope it has a dipstick"?

NO!
Unless it makes 1000hp with a stock bottom end, it will be a failure!
2JZ-GTE MASTER RACE!

okay...I think you're ready for another butterfly catching session and a nice decaf afterwards :p

And anyway, it's silly. It's a BMW engine which means no dipstick and a sensor which has a mechanical redundancy in the form of a second, identical sensor. Honestly I'm more concerned about the design; I'm not the only one seeing 2nd gen eclipse in there am I? Of course, being how the eclipse is now a CR-V rival, I guess that spot is available.

i see a lot of mazda mx 3 in the front
and that wasn't a particulary pretty car...

As more details are becoming available, I am understanding less and less why anyone would buy this outside of the name. Here is the latest from CT.
Full story: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-63500-toyota-supra-will-do-0-60mph-in-45-seconds/
Most relevant parts:
CarThrottle said:
According to “unconfirmed” details from a “valid source” posted on the Supra MkV forum, we’re looking at a US MSRP of around $63,500.

On the performance front, we can expect a 3.0-litre inline-six turbo developing 335bhp and 369lb ft (almost certainly a BMW-sourced engine), allowing for a 0-60mph time of 4.5 seconds. The weight meanwhile should be just under 1500kg.
So it's not fast, it's not cheap, it won't have the famed albeit waning Toyota reliability. Why not just buy a comparable BMW then?