Trailer for upcoming film "X-Men: First Class"

Mark Kermode reviewed it today on BBC News. he said that while the film isn't brilliant. it is standard action film. it isn't exceptional but it isn't bad either. i saw a clip of it. it got me interested to see it, but not to the point where it changes my mind from before. i would still much rather see Captain America or Green Lantern than this.

Really? While I think the director, look and most everything about Capt America looks great...why Chris Evans? Maybe his perceived view is different in foreign markets but he's generally mocked and disdained by most american moviegoers and not really taken seriously as an action hero. At least with the Human Torch he was ok cast because both characters we're cocky douche prettyboys...but Steve Rogers doesn't have an ounce of 'cocky' or 'douche' in his character.

Saw it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Really well-paced, character development wasn't sacrificed for a 30-min fight scene, and none of the characters were left behind. It seemed a tad smarter than your average comic book movie, even for someone like me who needs to brush up on their X-Men history. And, of course, Emma Frost. :wub:

And for those cross-franchise nerds who saw it as well: PRESIDENT MICHAEL DUGAN IN THE WAR ROOM. FUCK YES ON SO MANY LEVELS. Dear God, I hope somebody got that too...

I saw it today. I quite liked it. There were some changes to the continuity established in earlier films, but it still was good. They handle the question of "where's Wolverine?" quite well. (He was the only member of the X-Men from the previous movies - besides Professor Xavier - who would have been alive in 1962.)

:cry: No Stan Lee cameo, though.

Not only does it look like crap on many levels, is that a VTOL SR71 Blackbird we see in the trailer? :no:

The X-Men's Blackbird is based on the SR-71, with a passenger cabin and yes, VTOL capability.

The plane was in all 3 of the prior movies and is as much a part of the X-Men franchise as the Batmobile is to the Batman movies.

The X-Men's Blackbird is based on the SR-71, with a passenger cabin and yes, VTOL capability.

The plane was in all 3 of the prior movies and is as much a part of the X-Men franchise as the Batmobile is to the Batman movies.

true but the Batmobile was already a icon before it appeared in the movies. The X-Men's plane in the comic books has always varied. from a blackbird to a b-2 bomber.

saw it. quite enjoyed it. not as good as Thor

Just saw the movie tonight.

The casual moviegoer in me thought it was pretty fun entertainment.

The inner comic nerd/movie critic in me had problems with it. A LOT of issues with it.

The only one i'll bring up is how irritated I was this film doesn't event keep in continuity with the other FOX studio X-Men films. Other than that I liked the overall story and Fassbender was good as Magneto

I saw this last night. It was better than I had expected. I make films myself, and this was one film I actually sat back and enjoyed the entertainment instead of criticizing it. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall it was done well. My two friends who read all the comics told me it was put together well since the only resource they had were flashbacks from different characters.

Pretty forgettable overall, but I can't say it was bad either. A good action flick.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed but that's entirely my fault - at first I got excited with the Cold War references, but I quickly understood that the main focus is intended to be the mutants. For the whole second part of the movie, I sat thinking to myself that I really want to see a good Cold War movie.

Been watching it and its without a doubt one of the worst films i have ever seen. I hate this film so much that it has often felt like a insult to my X-Men comic books.
Moira MacTaggert working for the CIA? WTF, that NEVER happened.
Charles Xavier and Mystique knowing each other from childhood? WTF, that NEVER happened.
Shaw being responsible for killing Magneto's mother? WTF that NEVER happened.
Where's Scott Summers? He's Alex Summers brother and yet again, he's never seen nor mentioned.
Angel is a girl?! WTF, in the comic books Angel is a dude and the girl in the film is much more based on Pixie than anyone else.

I hate this film, it feels like someone has taken the comic books. shoved them down my throat and then raped me and my wallet. whoever created this monstrosity of a film deserves to be taken out back and shot. then hung up as a fucking warning to the next person who makes a comic book film.

i can understand the reasons for wanting to do a reboot film. but if you're going to do a reboot looking at the origins. stick to the source material. don't fuck around with it and change so many things.

/rant

seriously, i hate this film so much that it almost feels like it belongs in the same league as X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3 and Catwoman.

seriously, i hate this film so much that it almost feels like it belongs in the same league as X-Men 3[...]
Well, it is the same franchise ... so that?s not that big of a leap :p

Saw the movie on the big screen too this week, and I have to say I liked the first half a lot. Hated the second half though ... I?m not a die hard fan and hardly know the comics ... so I don?t really care about the stuff JK posted in the spoiler ... Marvel Comics are a mess anyway concerning continuity, so screw it (continuity) if they manage to have it all make sense somehow for a 2 hour movie. But, like I wrote - I really hated the second half of the movie, especially the finale. Kevin Bacon did an especially bad Job acting towards the end IMO. Other Actors weren?t great either. January Jones and Jennifer Lawrence also were a pretty bad cast IMO.

Well, it is the same franchise ... so that?s not that big of a leap :p

Saw the movie on the big screen too this week, and I have to say I liked the first half a lot. Hated the second half though ... I?m not a die hard fan and hardly know the comics ... so I don?t really care about the stuff JK posted in the spoiler ... Marvel Comics are a mess anyway concerning continuity, so screw it (continuity) if they manage to have it all make sense somehow for a 2 hour movie. But, like I wrote - I really hated the second half of the movie, especially the finale. Kevin Bacon did an especially bad Job acting towards the end IMO. Other Actors weren?t great either. January Jones and Jennifer Lawrence also were a pretty bad cast IMO.

the only decent actors in it were James McAvoy as Xavier and Michael Fassbender (sp?) as Magneto. Both did decent jobs and earned their pay. the rest was just a mess.

Saw it last night, pretty solid but the characters were lame. Hula hooping cyclops is lame, girl who flies is lame (but hot, good job Lenny Kravitz), Darwin was especially lame. Why would Mystique pick such a plain jane form when she can look like anyone, at least Rebecca Romijn was super hot when she played the role. Kid Eric was a cheesy actor, that whole scene was ridiculous with the mom. McAvoy was good, but Fassbender was the best. I always liked him, and thought he would get bigger after Band of Brothers, but at least he's getting famous now. Kevin Bacon was ridiculous, and January Jones was a solid meh, Emma Frost was a boring character I thought she would put up more of a challenge mentally for Xavier. All in all a C+.

Been watching it and its without a doubt one of the worst films i have ever seen. I hate this film so much that it has often felt like a insult to my X-Men comic books.
Moira MacTaggert working for the CIA? WTF, that NEVER happened.
Charles Xavier and Mystique knowing each other from childhood? WTF, that NEVER happened.
Shaw being responsible for killing Magneto's mother? WTF that NEVER happened.
Where's Scott Summers? He's Alex Summers brother and yet again, he's never seen nor mentioned.
Angel is a girl?! WTF, in the comic books Angel is a dude and the girl in the film is much more based on Pixie than anyone else.

I hate this film, it feels like someone has taken the comic books. shoved them down my throat and then raped me and my wallet. whoever created this monstrosity of a film deserves to be taken out back and shot. then hung up as a fucking warning to the next person who makes a comic book film.

i can understand the reasons for wanting to do a reboot film. but if you're going to do a reboot looking at the origins. stick to the source material. don't fuck around with it and change so many things.

/rant

seriously, i hate this film so much that it almost feels like it belongs in the same league as X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3 and Catwoman.

thats the problem with comic book based movies.... the comic book fans. You simply cannot please comic book fans. Things like this are edited, sometimes beyond recognition for whatever reason: things in the comics don't translate well to the screen, majority of the audience wont give a crap or even know about the comics anyway so better to tailor it to them if they want the maximum takings at the box office... crap like that.

Im pretty sure if they did a straight comic book to movie film it wouldn't be that good.... oh wait, Watchmen. 3 Hours and it wasn't that good (and they changed it slightly from the original book... granted Watchmen wasnt a comic per se)

thats the problem with comic book based movies.... the comic book fans. You simply cannot please comic book fans. Things like this are edited, sometimes beyond recognition for whatever reason: things in the comics don't translate well to the screen, majority of the audience wont give a crap or even know about the comics anyway so better to tailor it to them if they want the maximum takings at the box office... crap like that.

Im pretty sure if they did a straight comic book to movie film it wouldn't be that good.... oh wait, Watchmen. 3 Hours and it wasn't that good (and they changed it slightly from the original book... granted Watchmen wasnt a comic per se)

i can understand what you mean, however the problem i have is this. No one in the movie industry looks at a comic book and thinks "we've got a title here thats already got a secured audience. people who are going to see it regardless and as such, we don't have to worry about publicising a film that no one has heard of. There's a reason the comic book is so popular. so lets use that as a template and stay true to the source material."
instead all we have is a bunch of idiotic film execs who say "comic book fans are idiots. they will buy whatever we shove in their faces and we can just do whatever the hell we want and call it artistic licence."
Watchmen is a very good comic book, but the film suffered because it had Zack 'f**king' Snyder at the helm of it and he ruined it. yes it stayed a bit close to the original source material. but it wasn't as great as Alan Moore's writing and Dave Gibbon's artwork.
Its like someone adapting a Harry Potter film and deciding "you know what, let's have Harry's parents survive the attack. instead, lets have Voldemort reveal himself as Harry's uncle and Hermione is his long lost twin sister!" you're deviating so much from what was original written and yet claiming its still true to the spirit of the book.

TV is the only way to make a faithful remake of a comic. High budget TV, ala Walking Dead. It fits well with the episodic nature of comic books.

Agreed, The Walking Dead remained so true to the characters and the first volume. Yet when it did things different. the characters behaved the same way as the comic book and as such it was far more believable.

Last edited:
i can understand what you mean, however the problem i have is this. No one in the movie industry looks at a comic book and thinks "we've got a title here thats already got a secured audience. people who are going to see it regardless and as such, we don't have to worry about publicising a film that no one has heard of. There's a reason the comic book is so popular. so lets use that as a template and stay true to the source material."
instead all we have is a bunch of idiotic film execs who say "comic book fans are idiots. they will buy whatever we shove in their faces and we can just do whatever the hell we want and call it artistic licence."
Watchmen is a very good comic book, but the film suffered because it had Zack 'f**king' Snyder at the helm of it and he ruined it. yes it stayed a bit close to the original source material. but it wasn't as great as Alan Moore's writing and Dave Gibbon's artwork.
Its like someone adapting a Harry Potter film and deciding "you know what, let's have Harry's parents survive the attack. instead, lets have Voldemort reveal himself as Harry's uncle and Hermione is his long lost twin sister!" you're deviating so much from what was original written and yet claiming its still true to the spirit of the book.

Agreed, The Walking Dead remained so true to the characters and the first volume. Yet when it did things different. the characters behaved the same way as the comic book and as such it was far more believable.

You have to realize that very few people in the grand scheme of things actually read comic books in depth. It's characters are widely known, but rarely known well down to the source material. The budget needed to have a really good comic book movie therefore needs to appeal to a much wider audience. Something that only Christopher Nolan seems to have captured perfectly, though Iron Man is close. His balance of faithfulness to source material, balanced with filmmaking ideals, as well as commercial appeal is unequaled. Not the original X-Men trilogy, or Spiderman trilogy managed to be that good, even though commercially they were very successful. So especially for unpopular superheros like Captain America,Thor, Green Lantern, Punisher, etc. it is nigh impossible to make a correct adaptation without boring the shit out of the sheeple who flood theaters and spend 15-20 bucks a ticket for IMAX 3D.

The thing is they know that the comic book fans are going to watch the movie as soon as they hear the title, it doesn't have to follow the comics at all as long as they coax you into the cinema and grab your money. Then the movie is just built around what the general audience want, so it actually attracts people other than the fans.
I have enjoyed all of the X-Men films, but I've never read the comics, they aren't really my thing, so as a casual movie goer I have no idea how much they have crapped on the source material, I just find them to be good movies.

As a Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter fan I always find myself irritated when they skip parts, change them or completely omit key characters from the book. But the average audience isn't really going to care. (I really do hope they don't screw up The Hobbit, one of my favourite books...)

Sad, but thats the way they make their money.

You have to realize that very few people in the grand scheme of things actually read comic books in depth. It's characters are widely known, but rarely known well down to the source material. The budget needed to have a really good comic book movie therefore needs to appeal to a much wider audience. Something that only Christopher Nolan seems to have captured perfectly, though Iron Man is close. His balance of faithfulness to source material, balanced with filmmaking ideals, as well as commercial appeal is unequaled. Not the original X-Men trilogy, or Spiderman trilogy managed to be that good, even though commercially they were very successful. So especially for unpopular superheros like Captain America,Thor, Green Lantern, Punisher, etc. it is nigh impossible to make a correct adaptation without boring the shit out of the sheeple who flood theaters and spend 15-20 bucks a ticket for IMAX 3D.

I don't mind that a comic book film doesn't keep entirely in line with the comics, for all the reasons listed above, thats nearly impossible to do. What bothers me and I don't understand why this doesn't bother others, but this film doesn't even fit properly with events and timeline of the other existing X-Men films made by FOX. If you're going to create an in-movie universe, at least keep that consistent or it detracts from the enjoyment of the film.