Trailer for upcoming film "X-Men: First Class"

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
awful, bloody awful and will avoid. whoever came up with that crap needs to be taken out back and shot. feels like someone has taken the comics and then used them as toilet paper when they were writing the script.

Marvel needs to grow some balls and take that license back from Fox.

As I have not read the comics I care little if the film follows them or not. The film does look promising in my opinion.

As I have not read the comics I care little if the film follows them or not. The film does look promising in my opinion.

Same.

never been a huge fan of the marvel comic-verse, but i do really enjoy the marvel movies.

Precisely my thoughts. While I can understand the comic book purists having certain objections they alone will not put enough bums on seats for movies like this to make money.

Also you have only to read almost any book which inspired a subsequent movie to know there will always be changes as the story translates from one medium to another especially as novelists and screenwriters are a different breed fulfilling different needs.

Precisely my thoughts. While I can understand the comic book purists having certain objections they alone will not put enough bums on seats for movies like this to make money.

Also you have only to read almost any book which inspired a subsequent movie to know there will always be changes as the story translates from one medium to another especially as novelists and screenwriters are a different breed fulfilling different needs.

true, but the problem is that when the original source becomes so diluted that it looks like the writer used the comics as toilet paper instead of inspiration. there's nothing in that film that makes me want to go see it. if anything it makes me want to avoid it. It still feels like Marvel Films haven't learned their lesson from Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3. When you make a film based on a franchise material, you need to make it acceptable not only to joe public but also to the fan base. They're the ones who are ultimately going to pay to see it. It isn't in Marvel's best interests to keep annoying its fanbase.

Plus also, its the same old crap they've been churning out in the X-Men films. Xavier vs Magneto and always that. In the comic books there are far more adversarys than just Magneto and while he is a cool character in his own right. It doesn't seem right that they just focus soley on him when they've got so many other potential enemies and plot points that they could use. Mr Sinister, Stryfe, the Sentinels, the island of Genosha, Utopia, Cable and of course the best baddie of them all, Apocalypse. To keep coming out with Magneto as the sole baddie just stinks of bad writing and at worst arrogance and contempt.

These films could be brilliant, almost on the same level as the Batman reboot films and Iron Man. If only they used the source material and treated it with the same kind of respect that Christopher Nolan gives to his films.

Well when you put it like that I see your point although at the same time if you take into account the cinema going public who have no knowledge of the canon the studios are likely to want to stay "safe" and stick with characters they know. And even a well-known character isn't totally safe - think of the Hulk movies both of which totally failed to deliver to my mind.

If you think of this as a reboot of the X Men franchise then maybe they'll introduce some of those other characters in subsequent films, although if they plan to do that they should have chosen an actor who was already balding for Xavier! ;)

The problem w comic book movies these days is the constant need to start with 'the origin story' and constantly reinvent it because that will grab the maximum audience and $$$, which I honestly cannot blame the producers because big budget SFX movie making is a such a miserably costly endeavour.

I'm just happy for another x men movie. I'll watch the cartoons or whatever if I want the proper story, I understand why these films turn out the way they do. Just like most movies today you just have to leave your brain at home before you pop to the cinema to see it. That's the only way you can enjoy most movies today.

Looks great.

The trailer looks cool the first... 15 seconds, after that it goes steadily downwards to being quite shitty.

Really? To me it looks like it could be better than most of the other X-Men films.

I want an Apocalypse movie, and a Superman vs Doomsday movie.

Movie is out now...and surprisingly it has over 80% ratings on rottentomatoes.com and positive viewer reviews. Anyone seen it yet? I'm going this sunday.

Mark Kermode reviewed it today on BBC News. he said that while the film isn't brilliant. it is standard action film. it isn't exceptional but it isn't bad either. i saw a clip of it. it got me interested to see it, but not to the point where it changes my mind from before. i would still much rather see Captain America or Green Lantern than this.