Trains...

If you're that bad then I seriously recommend either hypnotherapy or acupuncture. You make it in the acting world and start travelling to Manchester or London you will value the scrip-reading time that rail travel will afford you.

Shirahime... but you live in the uk.. you have awesome diesel locos. Deltics ftw <3 How can you not love trains? :(

I adore the big diesels. I hope they stick around for a long time to come.

4881.1243516403.jpg

20,000bhp++ coming at you.

Last edited:
You're comparing passenger to freight, also our freight trains max usually around 70 MPH so eurostar horsepower isn't really needed. It's still important but, not as much.

You're comparing passenger to freight, also our freight trains max usually around 70 MPH so eurostar horsepower isn't really needed. It's still important but, not as much.

:dunno: almost as much oomph as two of these twelve-wheel-drive freight locomotives.

SBB-Re-6-6-11611.jpg

See how much power it makes without the wires ;)

Choo chooo!

Various trains from my neck of the woods

Highlight from above video

A gas turbine locomotive? Why not! Probably the biggest fuel hog ever... Still kind of awesome.

What is this? 3 pages and no mention of PRR locomotives?

The S1 in particular is one beautiful work of art.

Here's some diesel gems that the slovenian railways use. Some are from the croatian railways, but they use essentially the same machinery. All GM EMD products from the 80s.

Deltics are awesome. :)

They are but that wasn't a Deltic.

Deltic noses are high, almost flat on the top and they have two teardrop windows thus:

809_14_4873---Deltic-55022-Royal-Scots-Grey_web.jpg

That was a Class 37 - lower nose, more curved and three windows:

class37-freight.jpg

Not to be confused with the very similar looking Class 40 which was also built by English electric but was more powerful and has a very distinctive sound leading to them being nicknamed "Whistlers"

Compared to this, steam locos were environmentaly friendly.... But this has nothing on old 60s russian diesel locos. Observe:

[video=youtube;K5S-ZbbYaQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5S-ZbbYaQg[/video]

Thought that this may be of interest to some people here, I think this is a new series, which I watched last week. Very interesting and worth a look if you like travel/trains/history, etc.

BBC TV - Great Continental Railway Journeys
BBC TV said:
Michael Portillo travels on the great train routes of Europe, as he retraces the journeys featured in George Bradshaw's (Clicki Wiki) 1913 Continental Railway Guide.

London to Monte Carlo
1/5 Michael Portillo travels through France, stopping at Paris and the Cote D'Azur.

This was the previous run, just charting the British Railways, matching today's railways against a 1863 railway guide. All good stuff.
Great British Railway Journeys (wiki)

Similarly and also made by the BBC, is this series:
Railway Walks with Julia Bradbury (shopwiki DVD)

Various walks along disused railways, a great many of which were closed in the 1960s. Julia Bradbury covers a section of each track, looking at the railway history, former industry and changes in community's lives.

:smile:

Last edited: