Trains...

Hey, why didn't I discover this thread earlier? Time to post some of my favourite train videos.

First is a real gem: The old Russian diesel engine series LTS M62, better know by its nickname "Taiga Drum". The first series was delivered without a muffler, hence the nickname. This video is rather rare, because the locomotives were equipped with mufflers later and there are hardly any around anymore, who produce the legendary sound:

And then this is the footage of a man, who spent an afternoon filming at Limburg S?d station, which is a new train station on the high speed line from Frankfurt to Cologne. It also shows test drives of the new 3rd generation ICE train, the so-called Velaro D:

I post a lot of these but I'm pretty pleased with how this quick snap turned out.

We're sitting in the crossing loop as Pacific National train 3PS6 (Perth/Sydney intermodal) steers its way through Peterborough, SA. This train left Perth two day ago and will reach Sydney (probably via Goulburn) sometime tomorrow evening. Those are storm clouds in the background, it broke shortly after, dousing us with torrential rain and some very close lightning strikes!

nr43peter.png

Because there's such great distances between towns, do you guys still have a caboose or other sleeping quarters in the train?

Yeah, we run crew vans for the trains heading west to Perth. We can crew trains with two man crews from Melbourne exchanging crews at a place called Dimboola then at Adelaide and then at Port Augusta. They're relatively short hops of between 7-12 hours depending on the type of train and the run you get from train control. Similar story with the East/West Sydney trains. This is the sort of work I do, I dont do the long haul crew van thing thankfully. Then we need the crew van because there's not a whole lot between Port Augusta and Perth, a journey of over 2000km. It's all desert and nothingness and noone lives there. In the old days it would've been a pretty forbidding trip.

Crews live in the van and take it in turns to drive. You're away from home for four or five days but it's very good money. The vans have sleeping bunks, bathroom facilities, kitchen, lounge with flatscreen TV, Playstation, DVD, etc. It's probably like a massive road trip, with a good bunch of mates it could be pretty awesome!

The locomotives themselves are equipped with a fridge, kettle and a stove and the seats recline fairly comfortably. Plus there's USB ports and 240v power outlets so you can easily bring a tablet which makes whiling away the hours sitting in a crossing loop much more bearable. Or you get out and take photos :p.

Last edited:
You'll need to look it up as it varies from country to country, but generally speaking you should be at least 18 years old, have a high school degree/diploma or higher, passed a background check and drug screen, and have passed a government-approved training course and recieved certification. Often railroads offer to provided the necessary training to new employees, either at their own facilities or through a contract with an outside company. Alternitavely, you can attend a college that offers courses in railroad operations (such as the National Academy of Railroad Sciences at Johnson County Community College in Kansas) before applying for a job with the railroads.

Keep in mind that the railroads won't stick you at the controls of the locomotive right out of training. You will usually start off as a brakeman or conductor and will work along side an experienced engineer/driver to "learn the ropes". Once you've gathered enough experience and have passed the necessary exams, you will be allowed to take control of your own train.

...it's a lengthy process that takes months, even years.

With great difficulty, especially in Adelaide. Trainee positions are few and far between and are generally already earmarked/filled long before they get advertised. Best bet is to apply for a terminal operator role (driving the container stackers, shunting, etc) and try to impress the right people.

It's generally the same as what Leadfoot866 said for here in Australia though I wouldnt bother with the railway safeworking course. If a rail operator want you they'll put you through it themselves. Better to have good qualifications in a trade with high emphasis on safety, initiative, teamwork and customer service. Then just keep your eye out for advertisements (dont be afraid to go interstate) and put your best foot forward.

Keep in mind that the railroads won't stick you at the controls of the locomotive right out of training.

I've got half an idea in my head that I'd like to go to North America and try and get a job with BNSF, Genesee Wyoming, or UP or someone just for something different/new challenge but I'm told even if you have years of driving experience you still start at the bottom with these companies and gradually work your up as people leave and retire.

With us, as a trainee driver you'll get behind the controls pretty quickly once you've done the exams and classroom stuff and are deemed trustworthy and competent enough. We dont really have seniority here anymore, a trainee driver is expected to drive under instruction and learn pretty quickly. But it'll still take a couple of years to become fully qualified as there's just so much to learn. Network rules, terminal rules and safety, shunting, planning, loco mechanics, and that's before even sitting in the driving seat wondering how the hell you're going to keep your superfreighter at the track speed.

Last edited:
Well, in Germany you need the following qualifications and character attributes, before you can even apply for a job as train driver:

- Very good school-leaving qualifications
- Very good mathematical proficiency
- Technical interest (duh)
- Reliability
- Sense of responsibility
- Accuracy
- Flexibility
- Good team player
- Social competence

Deutsche Bahn is then performing a very strict and thorough sampling of all applicants. If you are among those who are invited for an interview, you should leave a good impression (e.g. punctuality, proper attire, ability to communicate). You should also show interest and ask questions yourself. Next step is an aptitude test, where they test you on reaction, ability to cope with pressure, logical thinking and some health cheacks (sight and hearing). And of course strictly no drugs.

If you are finally chosen, you face a 3-year training, where you learn everything from electrical stuff, mechanics and electronics to railway-realated stuff as well as working practical in simulators and as a co-driver on trains.

It surely helps, if you already had a prior qualification as an electrician or other education useful for the job as a train driver. And you should definitely be flexible, because train drivers don't have a 9 to 5 workday. They work in shifts and have varying assignment locations all the time.

About 12 hours later here it is, finally at the terminal after a few delays and issues where the locos are about to be refuelled, turned around and sent on the empty train back to the loading site. Not by me though, I was off home to bed :p

bemaxatportflat.png

Why are the locomotive they run down there so small?

Fuel efficiency?

Why are the locomotive they run down there so small?

They're not much smaller than a US Dash 9 or something, the engines are the same just packaged differently I guess. We have a smaller loading gauge in Australia, the rail is lighter and the maximum weight for a loco is 132 tonnes. Also there's still a lot of 19th century architecture around such as tunnels and platforms designed for small steam engines where a bigger loco just wont fit.

Well, in Germany you need the following qualifications and character attributes, before you can even apply for a job as train driver:

- Very good school-leaving qualifications
- Very good mathematical proficiency
- Technical interest (duh)
- Reliability
- Sense of responsibility
- Accuracy
- Flexibility
- Good team player
- Social competence

Deutsche Bahn is then performing a very strict and thorough sampling of all applicants. If you are among those who are invited for an interview, you should leave a good impression (e.g. punctuality, proper attire, ability to communicate). You should also show interest and ask questions yourself. Next step is an aptitude test, where they test you on reaction, ability to cope with pressure, logical thinking and some health cheacks (sight and hearing). And of course strictly no drugs.

If you are finally chosen, you face a 3-year training, where you learn everything from electrical stuff, mechanics and electronics to railway-realated stuff as well as working practical in simulators and as a co-driver on trains.

It surely helps, if you already had a prior qualification as an electrician or other education useful for the job as a train driver. And you should definitely be flexible, because train drivers don't have a 9 to 5 workday. They work in shifts and have varying assignment locations all the time.

and as a matter of fact, you don't need ANY of this. trust me i've just been through it.

the various german railways have such a hard time finding people who want to do this pretty demanding and often ernough stressful job, with the most shittiest possible work hours yet only sub average pay
that they will hire pretty much everyone who can hear and see properly and doesn't appear to have a drug addiction.

there are thousands of applications for the around 30 jobs which are offered in this area each year for the regular 3-year job education at DB, yet even the applicants that get through the selection process mostly don't have any of the qualifications you have described above.

its even worse at some of the private railway companys who will put even those at the controls who failed their examinations at DB numerous times because they have an even harder time finding drivers.
a lot of private railways will hire pretty much anybody and put them at the controls after a 7 or 9 month crash course.

I wouldn't care if I was hired onto one of those short lines for tourists. The fact that I'm driving a train would make me so happy. Steam, electric, or diesel.

They're not much smaller than a US Dash 9 or something, the engines are the same just packaged differently I guess. We have a smaller loading gauge in Australia, the rail is lighter and the maximum weight for a loco is 132 tonnes. Also there's still a lot of 19th century architecture around such as tunnels and platforms designed for small steam engines where a bigger loco just wont fit.

They're like half the height of a US train but your explanation makes sense! :)

What a Butte.

Don't know how this is possible, but someone managed to let his tram travel by itself in the middle of Helsinki. Thankfully there were no passengers either.

1288672905075.jpg

Neatly parked though.

Last edited: