Travel: Maybe going to California

Derek

Is Über
Car(s)
We're finally gonna need a car where we're going.
So a vacation is in order, and California (+ surroundings) is on the list. I've always wanted to do this and the plan is to go fully Americana on this, Mustang convertible, lots of driving.

The thing that remains is; where to drive to? I have sort of made up a route in my head but I don't really know what there is to do/see along that route. So any help and tips would be appreciated!

The route in my head is roughly this:

LA -> San Francisco -> Pacific Coastal Highway (for a bit) -> (Portland) -> right a bit towards Boise -> Bonneville Salt Flats -> Salt Lake City -> Grand Canyon -> Las Vegas -> LA

ONUz4.jpg

Portland is in between ()'s because it sort of depends whether I want to go there based on activities along the road/there. Without Portland it is around 4100km, with Portland around 4800km.

The sort of activities that I enjoy are (air) museums, stunning views, tours of geographic features. I don't care much about the bigger cities necessarily other than wanting to have seen them once.

Some of the things I already thought about doing; visit Napa Valley and a winery, Lake Tahoe, Bonneville Salt Flats, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon and visit some aircraft boneyard.

Thanks!

How long do you want to spend? I could think of a couple of week's worth of things in the San Francisco area alone.

I know of an excellent road in Marin County that you might like. It involves a drive up a narrow twisty road though a shady evergreen forest, over a ridge with breathtaking views of the Pacific ocean, East/North Bay and San Francisco (all at the same time!), and ends at a quite nice restaurant/hotel. :)

When are you planning on doing this trip, by the way?

I can't speak for SoCal, but you could spend weeks just in San Francisco. If I were going to drive from LA to SF on a trip, I'd take Hwy 1 .. I-5 is a bore. Avoid that stretch, and don't try to cover so much. There is a lot you will miss covering that much territory unless you have like a month.

Americans don't drive around like that, we sit around, so just stay in one place and say "yes, I want cheese on that"

Another thing you may want to add on if you have the time is Utah 12, which skirts the eastern border of Grand Staircase Natl. Monument, and has some absolutely stunning views. Its one of my favorite roads to drive when I can make it into the area... (you can also Google UT SR-12 for more images...)

US89 is also relatively interesting, just south of I-70, as it goes right past Big Rock Candy Mountain.. (actually, 89 is more interesting then I-15 the whole way up, but it takes a fair bit longer since you cant really go 75-80 on it, like I-15)

Also, I don't know if you are planning on making a stop there, but Zion Natl. Park, east of Kanab, is doing some major construction on the east-west road through it, and approaching from the east side would be a very bad idea.. I hear the delays can be enormous... (Going in from the west means that the bulk of the park is still totally accessible)

Last edited:
After living here my entire life, it's hard to pick points to visit on a whirlwind vacation. I'll say this: don't expect stunning scenery all the time. Nevada, Utah, Arizona, I-5 from SF to LA all have their extremely boring parts that go on hour after hour, I know from being in a RV throughout the US. Yosemite is amazing, but I have mostly backpacked there so I have had time to do it right and doing it by car is only a small fraction of it. There is also Sequoia and Kings Canyon in CA. Zions and Bryce in Utah, but after seeing the Grand Canyon, you might just go 'oh, more rocks...." Norther Idaho is beautiful (at least Coeur D'Alene is) haven't spent time in southern Idaho. To see the a lot of the west in a short time involves lots and lots of driving punctuated with selected high spots.

How much time have you got for this trip? Not that I'm a tour guide for Euros on a consistent basis or anything, but most Europeans are surprised at how huge America is, and how everything is globbed all in one spot, then a huge gap, then another glob, etc. I just hope you've allocated enough time for a trip of that scale.

As for what to do, well, I can speak for many other places cept Vegas, but San Francisco has a ton of stuff. A ferry out to Alcatraz might be a good bet, or, since you are interested in planes (and I assume general machinery), you might also be interested in visiting the WWII submarine on Pier 45 at Fisherman's Wharf (yes of course you can go in it). While you're there grab some crab or muscles or something from the wharf vendors. Also make sure you hit Chinatown, find a mom & pop Chinese restaurant, and have the best meal of your life. If you like geographical stuff you'll love the Point Bonita Lighthouse in Marin - on a good day it's spectacular, on a badly foggy day rather spooky. The Sutro Bath ruins also have some interesting cliffs and things around 'em, including a big tunnel, and a cracking cliffhouse restaurant - it's not much of a stretch to go take a gander. Though, if you go up the PCH you'll be tired of cliffs by that point.

Might as well also see if there's anything happening at Infineon Raceway.

Oh and +1 on I-5: AVOID.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!
How long do you want to spend? I could think of a couple of week's worth of things in the San Francisco area alone.
Somewhere between 8 and 10 days most likely.

I know of an excellent road in Marin County that you might like. It involves a drive up a narrow twisty road though a shady evergreen forest, over a ridge with breathtaking views of the Pacific ocean, East/North Bay and San Francisco (all at the same time!), and ends at a quite nice restaurant/hotel. :)

When are you planning on doing this trip, by the way?
I'm very interested! Plan would be to do this trip either the remaining period of this month or October while the weather is still good.

I can't speak for SoCal, but you could spend weeks just in San Francisco. If I were going to drive from LA to SF on a trip, I'd take Hwy 1 .. I-5 is a bore. Avoid that stretch, and don't try to cover so much. There is a lot you will miss covering that much territory unless you have like a month.

Americans don't drive around like that, we sit around, so just stay in one place and say "yes, I want cheese on that"
:lol:

I think you might be right though, wanting to see as much as possible will make me miss out on the best bits.

After living here my entire life, it's hard to pick points to visit on a whirlwind vacation. I'll say this: don't expect stunning scenery all the time. Nevada, Utah, Arizona, I-5 from SF to LA all have their extremely boring parts that go on hour after hour, I know from being in a RV throughout the US. Yosemite is amazing, but I have mostly backpacked there so I have had time to do it right and doing it by car is only a small fraction of it. There is also Sequoia and Kings Canyon in CA. Zions and Bryce in Utah, but after seeing the Grand Canyon, you might just go 'oh, more rocks...." Norther Idaho is beautiful (at least Coeur D'Alene is) haven't spent time in southern Idaho. To see the a lot of the west in a short time involves lots and lots of driving punctuated with selected high spots.
You make a very good point which I haven't thought about yet. Grand Canyon might be enough rocks for 1 holiday, and it would remove ~600km by not going all the way up north towards Boise.

How much time have you got for this trip? Not that I'm a tour guide for Euros on a consistent basis or anything, but most Europeans are surprised at how huge America is, and how everything is globbed all in one spot, then a huge gap, then another glob, etc. I just hope you've allocated enough time for a trip of that scale.

As for what to do, well, I can speak for many other places cept Vegas, but San Francisco has a ton of stuff. A ferry out to Alcatraz might be a good bet, or, since you are interested in planes (and I assume general machinery), you might also be interested in visiting the WWII submarine on Pier 45 at Fisherman's Wharf (yes of course you can go in it). While you're there grab some crab or muscles or something from the wharf vendors. Also make sure you hit Chinatown, find a mom & pop Chinese restaurant, and have the best meal of your life. If you like geographical stuff you'll love the Point Bonita Lighthouse in Marin - on a good day it's spectacular, on a badly foggy day rather spooky. The Sutro Bath ruins also have some interesting cliffs and things around 'em, including a big tunnel, and a cracking cliffhouse restaurant - it's not much of a stretch to go take a gander. Though, if you go up the PCH you'll be tired of cliffs by that point.

Might as well also see if there's anything happening at Infineon Raceway.

Oh and +1 on I-5: AVOID.
On paper the route would be doable in the amount of time I had planned, but it would not include the 'oh that's a nice view as well, let's stay here for a bit', so in all it might be tight and will probably have to take some shortcuts by the sound of things. The activities you mentioned would make a nice day in SF, thanks.

Would you recommend taking the rental into downtown SF or would it be best to park it somewhere in the suburb and take a tram/bus to downtown? And Infineon Raceway is definitely a good idea. I also planned stopping by Laguna Seca (and Monterey) while on my way from LA to SF.

And just to sum it up; I will probably spend most of my time in the area around LA and SF by the look of things, the other part will just involve powering through the desert getting to where ever I want to go. Avoid I-5. And i'll have to look up the road construction bit.

Thanks for the input so far guys! Please keep 'em coming!

Would anyone even rent you a mustang?
Hmm..

You must be a minimum of 25 years of age to rent a luxury, mini van, full-size van, full-size SUV, premium SUV, specialty car or pick-up truck.
Fuck, I think a convertible might be considered a specialty car?

Sent Budget an e-mail regarding the Mustang.

However, that aside, it looks like the holiday might be postponed to November at the earliest. Is the weather/climate during that period still worth it to go to LA/SF? I can imagine the weather still being okay in Nevada, however I'm worried about the weather along the coast at that time of year. I don't want to risk going on a holiday and have the exact same shitty weather we get over here, that would be a waste in my point of view.

Derek ,

I have been in october 2009 , in Utah and have some driving in the roads you intend to go included the Utah 12 that NotLaw mentionned?: it's a stunning road with awesome sceneries , I hope that you have not vertigo?!

If you plan to go in November , maybe , like me, you will came across some early snow falls, so a convertible may not be a good idea, moreover the weather can be cold ( ice, snow, ..) at least in Utah , don't know for California .

Plus ,I concure of what other posters said about the size of America , as an european I was surprised by that and by the fact that you can be very alone when you leave the Highways for instance.

Remember it's SUV,4X4, pickup truck territory over here ,

so my advice would be not to forget winter clothes , and to rent a 4x4 if you want to do it in Americana style.:D

since you will be in the area.... save up some extra money and head to Ad Hoc It may well be one of the best meals of your life. I would also suggest The French Laundry but that is CRAZY expensive where as Ad Hoc being a bit more manageable. Try for their Sunday brunch (call way far ahead) as it is supposed to absolutely unbelievable

Derek ,

I have been in october 2009 , in Utah and have some driving in the roads you intend to go included the Utah 12 that NotLaw mentionned : it's a stunning road with awesome sceneries , I hope that you have not vertigo !

If you plan to go in November , maybe , like me, you will came across some early snow falls, so a convertible may not be a good idea, moreover the weather can be cold ( ice, snow, ..) at least in Utah , don't know for California .

Plus ,I concure of what other posters said about the size of America , as an european I was surprised by that and by the fact that you can be very alone when you leave the Highways for instance.

Remember it's SUV,4X4, pickup truck territory over here ,

so my advice would be not to forget winter clothes , and to rent a 4x4 if you want to do it in Americana style.:D
Dang, that is not what I wanted to hear. :cry: Although a couple of hours through snow (doriftooo) would not be so bad if it's followed by sunshine again. Actually, it may have some charms, a thick coat, warm scraf and the heater on full blast in a convertible through snow. :lol:

In all seriousness though, I really don't want to wait more than half a year for the weather to improve again. So perhaps I will have to scrap the Bonneville/Salt Lake City part of the journey and add a few more destinations in Arizona and warmer surroundings.

And I really don't want to drive an american SUV after the last horrible experience in a Ford Escape. It was quite traumatic. :p

since you will be in the area.... save up some extra money and head to Ad Hoc It may well be one of the best meals of your life. I would also suggest The French Laundry but that is CRAZY expensive where as Ad Hoc being a bit more manageable. Try for their Sunday brunch (call way far ahead) as it is supposed to absolutely unbelievable
Thanks, but I'm on a tightish budget. ;) Plus to be completely honest with you I'm a secret american when it comes to food. I was even planning on visiting a couple of restaurants where Man V Food went.

Good news, I can rent a Mustang. :)

And a readjusted route (to a warmer climate) according to some tips round here (not all the activities are on the map yet):

jpzQz.jpg

3500km, still too much for 8-10 days?

Last edited:
yes

Most of it is relatively straight highway roads isnt it, going 50 or 60mph average on most of it, that's 4-5 hours driving per day, not that bad if it IS a driving holiday.

Yeah, sounds about right, and it is a drive holiday. Although I could scrap the San Diego bit, shaves off about 400km.

Good news, I can rent a Mustang. :)

And a readjusted route (to a warmer climate) according to some tips round here (not all the activities are on the map yet):

jpzQz.jpg

3500km, still too much for 8-10 days?

YESSSSS

That's 350k a day giving that your there for 10 days and no restdays at all, that's alot, a hell of alot.
Its not just the driving, its the changing hotelrooms every day aswell.

These are the states, yes travel is fast with their open roads, but 350k every day on straight roads does get tiring, especialy for someone who doesent drive that much in daily life..... you will come back tired with alot of miles crossed, and no time taken to actualy appreciate anything.

For drivingholidays I stick to 150k a day on average, 'restdays' included (meaning staying more then one night in one place , leaving those days free to take in the surroundings, naturally you plan these days in an intresting area)
So typically you end doing about 1500k in 10 days, this includes days with 300k+ driving, stopping at points of intrest briefly, but also days with just driving around locally, I find this formula works best as it offers time for taking in lots of things, but also that 'on the move' feeling.

I see you making the same mistake EVERYONE makes the first time they go to the states, thy try to see way to much, way to far apart in way to little time, The USA is so unfathomably big to us lowlandian Europeans we can't begin to comprehend the distances involved just getting around. SF to Vegas? looks like nothing on the map does it? and both names are so familiar, Hollywood would have us believe its 50k apart....... Then you realise that its roughly the distance from Belgium to Spain.
+deep inside our heads is embedded this idea that their open highwaysythem is some sort of portal-like travel device that transports you effortesly over vast distances while listening to 70's rock....... it doesnt , 500 K is still 500 k :p

That is a lot of shit to try and see in just a few days. Take every ones advice and cut the trip down. Take out the whole section going to San Diego out, that whole route along I8 is BORING. Don't bother with that little leg into Victorville (why is it there, aiming for El Mirage dry lake?) either.

I'd say you should trade time in LA for time in San Francisco. There is a LOT of shit to do in either city, but I'm going to have to give the nod to Frisco for shit to see/things to do. Friends of mine have spent 8+ days in SF and want to go back because they haven't seen all of it.

The only reason I see picking LA over SF is if you just want to drive good roads, Norcal has plenty, but not far out of LA we have a shitload (watch smoking tire, most of his reviews are filmed in the Malibu area).