tricky problem: need a tool/way to "mark" files&folders on Windows

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
Okay, so here's the deal. I have switched my iMac at work for a Windows-based PC. Problem is that I constantly used a specific function of OS X for my work: giving colors to files and folders to see what's been done and what needs to be done. Here's a vid (in German, but you'll get the point):

http://tippsfuermacs.de/finder/finder-dateien-und-ordner-farben-etiketten-zuweisen/

Now, I need that in Windows (XP). Obviously, Windows doesn't offer that functionality. There are tools that enable you to give colors to specific folders, but nothing that does it with files also. If you don't know what I mean, here's what I did:

no work done yet -> mark file red
work in progress -> mark file orange
done, last check necessary -> mark file yellow
transferred for further processing -> mark file green

So what I need is an easy way to "mark" files and folders. Doesn't have to be with colors, but should be easily accessible and instantly viewable in Windows Explorer. I'm currently looking into a way to do it with Total Commander, but it's way complicated and only maybe offers what I need, given I can script it, which I can't.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2009/02/20/halp_orange.jpg

Last edited:
Right click folder > Properties > Customize

There, you can select a picture (you just make a picture of a coloured box) to represent the folder. It only works if you view in thumbnails, though. Considering that you come from a Mac, you probably do anyway :p

Been there, done that. And like you said, that's just for folders unfortunately. And what I need would have to work in list/detail view as well. :(

Last edited:
I have just the thing. WITH colours.

Untitled-4.png

I just need to find the name of the thing :p

- Edit
Found it
But after reading your thread I must say it wont colour code files..

Last edited:
This does it! Perfect! :woot:

Thank you thank you thank you!!! :thumbsup:

I officially love you now!!! :wub:

Have a :beer: and a +rep!

No problem. I like to be aware of different utilities so when someone is looking for something I'll look too if I don't already have something. I've found a lot of useful software that way.