Ownership Verified: Trifecta complete: 1988 Toyota MR2 with 2004 Celica GT-S engine/transmission swap

Last edited:
Who knew that 14" tires are quite hard to find if they're not made by no-name Chinese companies?

While I wait for my Sumitomos to come in, I'm putting wax on these mofos.

Because I sure as hell am not going to spend my time cleaning them once they're actually on the car.

Did you check for R888? I had 14" 185 Toyo's, would rock them again.
On their website they start at 205 widths for 14". Right now I have a set of 15" Potenza RE-11a, and they're too sticky to really have fun, so the slightly lower grip of all-season Sumitomos should be just right.

And they're on. A full seven pounds a corner heavier than the RPF1/RE-11a combo, but it's the price of style.

:thumbs up:

Seriously; I could feel it when I was swapping over the wheels even before I measured the difference. RPF1s are no joke.

Damn, must binge-watch more TV before raeping.

I really don't want to do this, but I fear I'm going to have to regrease all the control arm bushings on this car. Spraying silicone lube did the trick, but that won't last as long as proper bushing lube.

Meanwhile, here is how it looks today.

(pics of other cars available here)

Last edited:
<3

I love small rwd cars. :thumbsup:

also, while you were in Baltimore, did you meet Detective McNulty? :p
Nah. But I heard he gave a lift to this weirdo in a trench coat, whistling the farmer in the dell.

The MR2 is looking good man, weight penalty notwithstanding.

Took some shots of it by the bay.

It's so small and cute.
Love it. <3

It does look rather tiny, doesn't it?

I think it was a bit small when it came out. Today, it's feels even smaller. (#twss)

They look tiny in person too, friend of mine had one, tried sitting in it... it actually felt a lot more roomy than i'd imagine when inside it. It's like the opposite of the Toyota 4Runner, which feels like you sit on the floor and the car has no room at all.

Every generation of MR2 has been surprisingly roomy inside.

Just put it away for the winter. Global warming willing, it won't be too long.