Tuning a Mustang

Replicas assembled on purpose-built chassis are (in most states) considered to be a 'new' one of whatever is being replicated and have to conform with the smog laws for whatever year the car being replicated is.

Homebuilt/kit cars can vary wildly. Some states consider them to be exempt, others say year of construction is what matters.

Going fast on little cash is pretty much the domain of two wheels. :D My 919 cost less than $2K and it runs 0-60 in 2.8, etc., etc.

As for the economics of the situation, this from my local Craigslist.

Sell V6 for $25000: http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/2536666165.html
Buy V8 for proceeds of V6 plus $1K: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/2517943680.html

Tell me again how you're financially going to beat selling the V6 and buying a V8? :p

Last edited:
If I was going to a 5.0, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a 5.0 Mustang. But that V6 says PREMIUM, and mine only has one option on it, so it'll be way more than just 1 k. There's also the fact that if I did that, I would be sitting in someone else's ass sweat.

As for the 919, I thought that was a Porsche or something, not a bike. Do you know a good sport bike for a first timer?

Newbies need to start out on smaller and not-so-sporty bikes. The Ninja 250 and 500 are popular learning bikes and can be had cheaply on the used market as both have been made for decades. The new CBR250R is quite popular as well but not as common on the used market. The usual caveats about newbies-should-not-buy-new-bikes applies, of course.

A base 2011 will probably only be $2K less, that 30mpg is a powerful purchase incentive. They don't last long on CL, I've seen them going for $23K. You still can't beat the $3K delta, though. And for another $500 you can get a brand new seat cover and foam installed, no more ass residue.

Last edited:
THANK YOU ALL (though mostly just Spectre). I'll be spending a little more time on kawasaki's website and a little less on fordracing. Thanks!

I was going to ask more about bikes, but then I realized that it would be way off topic. Spectre, you've been very helpful, so please give your input on my 'What's the right bike for a newbie?' thread.

Last edited:
Yes. The 32V 5.0 is a huge leap forward - as large a leap as from the LT1 to the LS6. For starters, the 5.0 Coyote has VVT for all four cams and the 4.6 doesn't. Eight extra valves help a lot, too, and word is that the 5.0 has been deliberately detuned for the GT, yet we still have examples showing 360+ at the rear wheels out of the box. That's about what a stock Terminator Cobra could do on a good day, and it had to have a blower to do it.

I'd verify this. In Australia, FPV (ford performance vehicles) uses a supercharged version of the 5.0 in the falcon GT. FPV has said that they make 335kw (450hp)at the flywheel. Guys who have dynoed their cars have seen 335kw (450hp) at the wheels stock standard. :lol::mrgreen: Keep in mind that they're only on about 4 psi of boost and they're not intercooled and that a simple tune will get their cars pushing out 375-385rwkw (500-520 rwhp) :lol: The GM boys never stood a chance. :lol::mrgreen:

So he went from mods, to an engine swap, to moving to a state that eases the engine swap, to a replica kit car, to trading to a GT, to motorcycles.

confused.jpg

If speed is the goal, become a pilot. Or an asteroid.

Last edited:
Well, that's cause he lives in commiefornia.

Otherwise I'd just say intake and longtubes and go from there.

I was suggesting the old 4.6 in lieu of his current V6, if he could afford a 5.0 he would have one by now. If im wrong and you can afford it i say go for it.

The 4.6 is terrible.

I don't think the 4.6 is *that* bad - just in comparison to the Coyote 5.0. (Even the 3.7 litre V6 comes off better than the 4.6 V8. Same power and better fuel economy.)

But we've already established that due to California law, it's illegal to put the engine from an older car into a newer chassis. As a 2012 model, the only V8 he could legally put in there would be the 5.0 litre.

What gains would the 3.7 get using the SCT tunes?

I've heard claims of roughly 10hp, more in combination with other mods, such as an air intake. of course no amount of tuning alone will give a car the big hp numbers (referring to n/a vehicles). if someone wanted big power in a mustang v6, they could always put a procharger kit on it.

I've seen those things, but Spectre showed me how easily I can just buy a used V8 Mustang, and the cost would be less than one of those turbos. The V8 also has more capacity to be tuned.

What exactly are your goals? Are you just looking for a little extra power for fun, or are you setting it up for drag racing, road racing, autocross?

Buddy of mine's mom has an '11 V6. Just for fun, he was looking at some stuff for it. They can see some decent gains with a tune if you go from 87 to 93. I saw a video of one with a Procharger, ran 12s. Nitrous is always the cheapest solution, and keeping it down to a small shot, you don't need to pull any timing to stay safe.

BTW- your best bet would be to actually join a Mustang site where you can find better information for the car and mods for it.

A Procharger is not a turbo, just FYI.

They say it's a supercharger, but have you seen the picture? Vortech does the same thing. They say they are superchargers, which technically is correct, but they are TURBOsuperchargers.

Also, my 'stang is a daily driver, hoping to take it to tracks on weekends.

They say it's a supercharger, but have you seen the picture? Vortech does the same thing. They say they are superchargers, which technically is correct, but they are TURBOsuperchargers.

Also, my 'stang is a daily driver, hoping to take it to tracks on weekends.

No, they are superchargers. They are driven off of your engine using cool intake air; compared to being driven by exhaust flow using warmer exhaust gases, like a turbocharger. It's a centrifugal supercharger, compared to the Roots-type supercharger that mounts on top of the intake. (Which is what most people think of when they hear "supercharger".)

Don't let the looks fool you - it may look like a turbo but it is a supercharger.

No, they are superchargers. They are driven off of your engine using cool intake air; compared to being driven by exhaust flow using warmer exhaust gases, like a turbocharger. It's a centrifugal supercharger, compared to the Roots-type supercharger that mounts on top of the intake. (Which is what most people think of when they hear "supercharger".)

Don't let the looks fool you - it may look like a turbo but it is a supercharger.

Actually if we're being pedantic, Superchargers are superchargers, no matter the format, however turbochargers are technically (and originally) called Turbosuperchargers.

Ok, I see. So it's a hard belt driven turbosupercharger, as opposed to an exhaust back pressure driven turbosupercharger? What might be the advantage over a roots type supercharger? Also, it feels so good to talk to other car people for a change! :D

Make sure to post pics in the Post You Carforum (but follow the rules!) I love the new-gen mustangs!