"Twiglight" to spin off to TV? Nooooooooooooo!

The target audience would not analyse the books and see it that way at all. I think the only probalem we have with influencing the target audience would be they all want men who can bench press the weight of a car, while sparkling in the sunshine.

The target audience will not analyze it but still will be influenced by the stereotypes presented. While i don't think the portrayal of the female characters is more anti-feminist than in any other Hollywood RomCom (i'm looking at you, Meg Ryan!), the preaching of abstinence in the film (won't look into the book ever again) is what really makes me angry. The whole film is a thinly-disguised metaphor for sex being evil and will lead do death and disease if you do it before marriage. The birth sequence right out of "Alien" (i can see H.R. Giger artwork there), the whole "biting as a codeword for sex"-thing, it's designed to teach the target audience (teenage girls) to stay away from sex, be afraid of it, alienate themselves from their bodys, instead of teaching responsibility, self-esteem and control over one's own sex life.

That's what makes it pure evil.

The target audience will not analyze it but still will be influenced by the stereotypes presented. While i don't think the portrayal of the female characters is more anti-feminist than in any other Hollywood RomCom (i'm looking at you, Meg Ryan!), the preaching of abstinence in the film (won't look into the book ever again) is what really makes me angry. The whole film is a thinly-disguised metaphor for sex being evil and will lead do death and disease if you do it before marriage. The birth sequence right out of "Alien" (i can see H.R. Giger artwork there), the whole "biting as a codeword for sex"-thing, it's designed to teach the target audience (teenage girls) to stay away from sex, be afraid of it, alienate themselves from their bodys, instead of teaching responsibility, self-esteem and control over one's own sex life.

Perhaps although until you just pointed that out I hadn't realised that message was present. Regardless I wouldn't be affected by it becasue even before reading the books I had come to the deicsion that I was going to abstain from sex until marriage. However I have friends who certainly do not take that view (in fact my old roomate took glee in bringing as many guys - or girls- back to our apartment as possible. I don't remember her ever having a relationship that lasted more than a week and when I say a lot I mean A LOT :p however she is still one of my closest friends and we are polar opposites but both have read the books and neither of us were influenced towards whether we should or shouldn't abstian. We both think that its nobodys desicion to make but your own and no book would change that view. Until you just pointed it out I genuinley had never noticed anything in the books about sex being evil. You have to remember that one of the main characters was brought up with those morals back in the whatever century it was. I think if theres gonna be a problem with the relationships with the characters in the book you need to look at the fact that Edward is over 100 and Bella is 17, I think its better if 100 year olds abstain from sex with 17 year olds that they would quite like to munch on personally :| (although thats just my view).

I do have the slightly optomistic view that perhaps people aren't quite as easily influenced as we take them to be. Also have you seen some of thier fans, given the oppurtunity they would rip the actors clothes off when they see them. Doubt they think sex is eveil becasue of the books. The fans terrify me they really do. Am I the only one that thinks this? :blink:

Gosh I hope that didn't just sound too preachy.... yeah i just read what I wrote and it sounded preachy. Can you read it in the least preachy voice you can find? Its not meant to be preachy sorry about that ;) ahh now im preaching about preaching!!!! shh :blink:<_<

im still sick of goddamn vampires

Too bad "Twilight" isn't about Vampires, it's about sexually repressed emos in glitter.

Once again, give girls some credit, will you? We do not, I repeat, DO NOT base our self-worth and worldview on what we read in books or see in movies/on TV. It's much more likely that a girl who places her sense of worth in how she fulfills a man will like a book about a character like that, rather than a girl with a high sense of independence and confidence will change her attitude after reading it.

In fact, I'm beginning to be more annoyed with the "Twilight is teaching girls bad things" crowd than with the fans. At least the fans are just genuinely entertained by the books. They have no agenda. It's the critics who are devaluing women with their attitude, not Meyer.

Well there's an interesting twist.

That being said, the critics of the books and films are only going off what women have told us for the past thirty years - that media influences the behavior and self-worth of girls and women and that we need to be careful about the messages contained in ads, TV, books, toys, etc.

When did all women (nay, people) become immune to social and media influence? If that's the case can we all go back to drooling over unreasonable body types (men and women alike)?

Once again, give girls some credit, will you? We do not, I repeat, DO NOT base our self-worth and worldview on what we read in books or see in movies/on TV. It's much more likely that a girl who places her sense of worth in how she fulfills a man will like a book about a character like that, rather than a girl with a high sense of independence and confidence will change her attitude after reading it.

In fact, I'm beginning to be more annoyed with the "Twilight is teaching girls bad things" crowd than with the fans. At least the fans are just genuinely entertained by the books. They have no agenda. It's the critics who are devaluing women with their attitude, not Meyer.

You summed up what my wife told me last night. She is a fan of the series. I confronted her, flabbergasted after reading the cliff notes of the last book; she countered that I like to Read Star Wars books and they are not all high brow literature, either.
Point made! :| My wife is no dummy, and I suppose that Twilight is her one guilty pleasures, like the Harry Potter books are for me.

The point I am making, after stepping back and self analyzing, is that to be an elitist is to also become an isolationist; it is far too easy of a trap to fall into, and brings out the worst of a personality. I am always working on self improvement, so this was a teachable moment. :)

Once again, give girls some credit, will you?

I will not, i repeat, not give 90% of mankind, male and female alike, any benefit of doubt when it comes to being sheepishly easy influenced.

It's not about women, it's about people.

^ Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

I will not, i repeat, not give 90% of mankind, male and female alike, any benefit of doubt when it comes to being sheepishly easy influenced.

It's not about women, it's about people.

Why do you care? There are a lot of things people like and do that I think are completely stupid, but I'm not gonna go on a crusade to save people from things I don't like. If I had that kind of ego I'd have alienated a lot of friends and missed trying plenty of new things because I had already determined them to be not worthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
There are a lot of things people like and do that I think are completely stupid, but I'm not gonna go on a crusade to save people from things I don't like. If I had that kind of ego I'd have alienated a lot of friends and missed trying plenty of new things because I had already determined them to be not worthy.

Ditto me. Im polar opposites from alot of my friends but ya know, its what makes us different that makes us special. :)

I think you guys misunderstand. This isn't a crusade to save the clueless followers of Twilight, that is a pointless endeavor. It's more about a place to point, laugh and mock mercilessly.

It's Mystery Science Theater 3,000 for real life.

I was thinking about writing a book about a zombie that gets a high gloss sheen when she gets hit with buckshot and falls in love with an emo dude and there's a mummy that likes infant boys.

Sacrifice your dignity and laugh all the way to the bank.

I was thinking about writing a book about a zombie that gets a high gloss sheen when she gets hit with buckshot and falls in love with an emo dude and there's a mummy that likes infant boys.

Do it and in five years you will be richer than the church. Just one thing, you'll have to massively pussify the zombies to the point where nobody, even men on the internet will want to talk about them any more. So they won't eat humans, and will look and talk normal.

But trust me, the monies will make it worth it.

I'll split my eventual billions with anyone who can help me with a plot. or we can just alternate writing chapters

Do it and in five years you will be richer than the church. Just one thing, you'll have to massively pussify the zombies to the point where nobody, even men on the internet will want to talk about them any more.

If that is the case, start writing! I am fed up with zombies and the internet obsession of. <_<