Two New Astons! Aston Martin releases details on 2012 Virage Coupe and Volante

Dammit Aston, just come up with a new name. Make it look a bit angrier and hardcore, add red LED running lights, paint it in flat black and call it the Vengeance.

There, Me > Aston design/marketing.

They did, it's called the DBS.

If I was allowed my username should be 'Aston Martin... but only up to the Vanquish.'

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/il/ilpav123/2011/02/23/Capture.JPG

lol

You know what it is, none of the Aston Designers want to be the first one to break the design mold and go for anything really new, because while it's necessary for design evolution, nobody wants to take the big leap and be crucified as 'Aston Martin's Bangle' so the chickesh**s are making minor changes to a winner design because anything that follows will get stuck with the brand of being 'uglier' than the current Astons. Someone has to be brave enough to take a fall, Bangle certainly was.

I got a sneak peak of the tools used to design this
Ricoh-Aficio-MPC3000-Photocopier.jpg

Anyway, it's hard to improve on that DB9 shape, it's damn near perfectly beautiful.

As much as it looks great, in my book it isn't different enough from DB9/DBS/V12 Vantage to be special. Porsche does this in a different way, the 911 is the same car in different configurations (2WD/4WD, turbo/no turbo, basic/sportier engine, blah blah) but Aston just gave this mildly updated DB9 a different name and is presenting it as a new product.

I like it. The DBS looks too agressive for an Aston Martin I think, this is back to a more elegant look.

While I'm reasonably sure that Aston Martin's design department has placed a bet somewhere against their colleagues at Porsche, the cars look beautiful.

Don't care about the name, don't care about recycled parts bin, don't care it being same ole. I'm not a religious person but I do pray to God Almighty that I am one day rich enough to afford one.

I'll have this with the manual conversion please.

aston-martin-vanquish.jpg

I always thought the Vanquish was a better looking car than the DB9

2012 DB9 is what i shall call it, because it's not fit to carry the Virage name because "marketing" think so, this is the sort of thing that makes you forget the feeling behind the "power, beauty, soul" phrase and just makes you think "bottom line, dont even try, soulwhat"...

It is not ugly, but it isn't pretty anymore, the DB9 was awesome looking first time, and aged well, even the Vanquish looked menacing with it's flaws, this is just a cash grab and it does look like a california from the front

I just had a thought

If Aston Designers keep changing this design a little bit at a time, by 2050 we'll have a new design! :p

Apparently car designers are the only artists in the world able to recycle old paintings by modifying one bit at a time and selling a work again. I don't really have anything against this one, it looks okay and will surely be a fine car, but still, someone needs to change the canvas at some point and actually start designing a new Aston from scratch. If they're afraid it'll flop (those squeaky rubber chickens...), make it a concept car first and see about the reactions.

Apparently car designers are the only artists in the world able to recycle old paintings by modifying one bit at a time and selling a work again. I don't really have anything against this one, it looks okay and will surely be a fine car, but still, someone needs to change the canvas at some point and actually start designing a new Aston from scratch. If they're afraid it'll flop (those squeaky rubber chickens...), make it a concept car first and see about the reactions.

They have tried that.
2012-aston-martin-lagonda.jpg

For most car makers I would agree with you, but there are two that I give exception to. The first is Porsche. They have used roughly the same design for so long, they might as well keep doing it. It is fantastic. Second is Aston Martin. I can think of one car more beautiful than the DB9 family, and that is the Alfa 8C. It would be very difficult if not impossible for them to make these cars any better looking, so I must implore them to keep the designs the same.