Tyres

^I suggest you just get Yokohama A drives, more comfort than performance based... they provide adequate grip (it is suited for a family car, ie Civic, Accord, non-turbo liberty... etc)... they go for about 150 a corner or for a little cheaper, you can get some Bridgestone Turanza (Again... it is more economical and comfort based compared to Potenza's). You can call some large chains to find out more on the price, Bob Jane and JaxQuickFit are the most reputable ones I believe.

I got some new tyres fairly recently and I've been pretty underwelmed with them, they only cost about $140 a wheel from memory.

ive got some nankang ns2's there not to bad in the dry in the wet i would say they where average, but they are cheap for the performance they give. paid $120 each for 18inch 265's. heard about them on the skylines australia forum, and some holden forum as well where people considered them very good for the money.

Are you talking $150 for everything, or $150 a corner? :p

Heres another tire-test

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252/tire-test-the-quick-and-the-tread.html

I would recommend reading it. The Falkens i mentioned will outrun any of those tires on a track, but with they exception of the Hankooks the Falkens will also wear a bit quicker. So if you do want to drive like a crazy person then get the Falkens, i love mine, but other wise i would recommend any of the top 5 from the listed test above, based on your personal preferences.

This is a bit OT, but by far one of the easiest tires to drive like a crazy person with was actually a snow-tire, and yes i mean drive crazy on a dry hot summer day, some "Blizzak" tire or something (borrowed them from my friends miata for a rally-cross) Not at all fast, but i could go somewhat broadside without flinching, in a car that is otherwise rather twitchy.

I had 4 new Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001's fitted last week. Paid $198 a corner, which was a great price :)

http://img201.imageshack.**/img201/5978/img0504smalloy9.jpg

I have way more experience with different tires then anybody with a life should ever of had, what are you looking for in the tire? and what enviroment go you live in (does it ever snow?)

i can help you with your decision bigtime

What do you think of the BFG G-Force sports?

I just want a grippy summer tire that's not too costly.

I saw another thread whre you listed a lot of cool tires but most of them you mentioned for performance tires arent made in 245/50/16.

I had 4 new Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001's fitted last week. Paid $198 a corner, which was a great price :)

I'd be interested in getting your impressions once they've had time to bed in. I'll be in the market for new tyres in about 6 months and they're definitely on the short list.

I'd be interested in getting your impressions once they've had time to bed in. I'll be in the market for new tyres in about 6 months and they're definitely on the short list.

Absolutely.

Double demerits finish tonight I believe so one of these days I'm going to have to get out of the confines of the city and put these tyres to the test on country roads. I'll write a few comments when I do.

It's too bad you got a single-directional tire mounted backwards.
Huh :blink: I don't know what you mean by this - care to explain? :)

I THINK it?s the right way, but go and check if the "rotation" arrow is pointing in the right way...

It?s always a bit strange how those asymetrical tyres look, I thought the ones on a friends car were the wrong way round, but they weren?t

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely.

Double demerits finish tonight I believe so one of these days I'm going to have to get out of the confines of the city and put these tyres to the test on country roads. I'll write a few comments when I do.

Huh :blink: I don't know what you mean by this - care to explain? :)

your tires are designed to spin in one direction They are supposed to rotate in the same direction as that pointed bit in the middle of the tread pattern. you have it on backwards. just swap your wheels right to left and you should be fine.

What do you think of the BFG G-Force sports?

I just want a grippy summer tire that's not too costly.

I saw another thread whre you listed a lot of cool tires but most of them you mentioned for performance tires arent made in 245/50/16.

sorry for not coming back sooner. Those tires are particularly good at 2 things, one is holding lots of G-force (although they don't transition too fast) and the other is tread-wear. I would actually recommend them for a heavier car that will otherwise eat threw tires rather quickly, just don't go bizzark on a wet day in a slalom.

I agree on the G-Force tires, but I tend to do much more around town driving lately so I have started using the Traction T/A and it is really an incredible tire for the money... highly recommended!! More mileage per tire, and just a TINY bit less grip, but in terms of total overall value, it is a clear winner.

Oh yeah, and back to those Falken RT615's, I had a set of those on my autocross car for a while, and they ROCK, but they wear out pretty quickly too.

http://www.tirerack.com has some EXCELLENT reviews and specs on the tires they carry (which is damn near everything), and most even have user reviews as well so it gives you a good idea of what you are getting well in advance of actually buying them.

your tires are designed to spin in one direction They are supposed to rotate in the same direction as that pointed bit in the middle of the tread pattern. you have it on backwards. just swap your wheels right to left and you should be fine.
I asked the people at my local Bridgestone tyre centre and they said it was on appropriately and also pointed to the "Outside" text written on the tyre as it should.

I asked the people at my local Bridgestone tyre centre and they said it was on appropriately and also pointed to the "Outside" text written on the tyre as it should.
'ang about... if you switched the front-right wheel with the front-left wheel the direction in which the tread points would be opposite but the bit that says "outside" would still be on the outside. :?

If you follow me.

'ang about... if you switched the front-right wheel with the front-left wheel the direction in which the tread points would be opposite but the bit that says "outside" would still be on the outside. :?

If you follow me.
Ah yes, I understand.

I'll have another look and ask my other local tyre centre...