UCL 2013/14 - Champions League Thread

A ghastly first half by Borussia, and even with some forward moves in the last 30 minutes of the match, their lack of precision was really bad. I am glad they lost only 0-3. So at least they're likely not to be beaten as badly as Schalke over the course of two matches. :D
I never expected them to beat Real this year, but an away goal would have been nice (and with a little better passing, it would have been possible). So, beating Real 4-0 or better next week? Yeah.... not happening.

Tuesday 8th April 2014

Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Real Madrid
(agg 2-3)

Chelsea 2-0 Paris St-Germain
(agg 3-3) Chelsea win the tie on away goals

What a glorious night, and well deserved!!

article-2599868-1CF17D9500000578-16_964x398.jpg

An impressive performance by Chelsea, not a classic free-flow, but one of gritty determination and perserverence. A win by metal strength, as much as skill and finesse.
No Zlatan playing and a defensive metalty, did not do well for PSG.
A bit of a streaky winner from Ba, buit who cares? Not Chelsea fans, anyway! :lol:

LOL Jose running down the touchline after the second goal. (UEFA fine for that? :think:)

What a glorious night, and well deserved!!

You should be pleased, well done to Chelsea - in the SF again.

Dortmund came very, very close to forcing extra time at least.
No Ronaldo playing and some shocking defence, put Dortmund two up in the first half.
A little bit of luck, like Chelsea had, alas did not appear in the second half.

:smile:

Last edited:
Not enough from Dortmund...

I do hope to see Chelsea - RM in the semis, just so Mourinho faces his old team.

Damn. That was much closer than expected. I think Mkhitaryan needs new contact lenses...
But anyway, Borussia played Real against the wall. It was unbelievable to see that the mighty Real Madrid obviously accepted to give away the game and coast into the semi finale on the result of the first leg. Playing for time from the beginning, breaking off numerous counterattacks because nobody bothers to join the player with the ball on the way to Dortmund's goal... that was Real fucking Madrid, and they were scared shitless of Borussia. The irony is that as soon as they began to play a little more offensive, the were back in the game, because with their unbelievable offensive qualities any opponent will be very busy not conceding a goal when Real actually tries to get near the box. That squad simply can't play in defensive only mode. I have no idea why they tried that tactic.
Well, in the end it worked, sadly. But anyway, good CL season for Borussia. Quarter finals is better than many other teams achieve.

Unfortunately, my dream of a semi finale with four teams from four different countries is now impossible. So, consequently, I hope we'll get one with teams from only two countries.

Jesus wept. The style of play under Guardiola has made Bayern an incredibly frustrating side to watch. At least against teams like Moyeschester United.

Prefered them under Heynckes.

Wednesday 9th April 2014

Atl?tico Madrid 1-0 Barcelona
(agg 2-1)

Bayern Munich 3-1 Man Utd
(agg 4-2)

Probably, it wasn't going to end any other way for Man U. Moyes has a couple of years to re-build the team now. before he will get back into the UCL.

Well done to Atl?tico on reaching the SFs.

Damn. That was much closer than expected. I think Mkhitaryan needs new contact lenses...

Yeah, dang close.
And Mkhitaryan did miss a few sitters, bad luck or whatever, he could have scored three or four. The game could have been very different.

Unfortunately, my dream of a semi finale with four teams from four different countries is now impossible. So, consequently, I hope we'll get one with teams from only two countries.

I hope the draw works well too, it's going to be difficult for any team to win the title.

Shit. Atletico are very, very good, aren't they?

I'd like to see Atletico - Bayern at some point, I think Bayern would be in for a surprise.

Atl?tico are having a good season, any of the remaining teams could win the title.

Tuesday 22nd April 2014
UEFA Champions League - Semi-Finals
1st Leg

Atl?tico Madrid 0-0 Chelsea

A good enough result for Chelsea, who had a hard working defensive performance. Atl?tico had the most possesion, but few goal chances, while Chelsea had even less. Not that bad a result for Atl?tico either really.

Injuries and suspensions may be a problem for either side, with Lampard, Mikel and Cech all unavailable for Chelsea in the 2nd leg next week.

Jose had another smokescreen post-match news interview, going on about the Liverpool game which he didn't want to play on Sunday. He implied that he MAY have to field a weaker side, but he needs the Club to make the decision. (i.e. Roman) Coaches don't usually say these sort of things in public, but that's Jose!

I was just reminded how tactical these play-offs can be. And with Maureen in charge of one of the teams, they don't get any more tactical (i.e. result oriented, i.e. boring). Turned off after the first half.

Jeez, watching the RM vs Bayern game reminded me what a detestable player Pepe is...

It was a fairly entertaining game, though regardless of the lack of goals. It's going to be an uphill battle for Bayern, now.

Well, Bayern will be able to win against Real in their own stadium next week. Germany is not a good place for Real, they almost always lose here. So, here's me hoping it'll only be a 2-1 or 3-2 for Bayern.

Wednesday 23rd April 2014

Real Madrid 1-0 Bayern Munich

.. for the record.

Well, Bayern will be able to win against Real in their own stadium next week. Germany is not a good place for Real, they almost always lose here. So, here's me hoping it'll only be a 2-1 or 3-2 for Bayern.

A very winable tie for Bayern in the 2nd leg, for sure. But football is strange sometimes, especially at this time of the season.

Tuesday 29th April 2014
UEFA Champions League - Semi-Finals
2nd Leg

Bayern Munich 0-4 Real Madrid
(agg 0-5)

A very winable tie for Bayern in the 2nd leg, for sure. But football is strange sometimes, especially at this time of the season.

Well, I didn't expect that to happen! Three set-pieces and a breakaway goal from Bale/Renaldo and that was the lot.

Bayern looked end-of-season-tired or lacking ideas/creativity, but credit to Real who had to defend well to keep Bayern from making many good chances. But Real didn't seem to have to defend THAT well, the game looked fairly easy for them.

(The TV guys said that there has never been a UEFA CL Final between two teams from the same city, could be tis time if Jose doen't get it right.)

Well I did not expect that. :D

Real has now won three times in Germany: against Leverkusen, Schalke (two months ago) and now Bayern.

Real has now won three times in Germany: against Leverkusen, Schalke (two months ago) and now Bayern.
Well, Dan, tell us, against which German team did they lose this season? ;)

My heavens, Bale and Ronaldo are damn good. The rest of the team is not too shabby either, probably their cup this season.