UFC/Strikeforce/MMA 2011

So as expected, some people (especially sherdog) are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill over what Mir and Jones did last night, and it just makes me shake my head and this double standard shit needs to stop.

First they're saying Mir lost because the ref didn't call it a TKO after he went down and Nog was pounding on him. I love how it's ok for one fighter to hit someone else in the back of the head while a single shot in another fight should be grounds for an instant DQ (see Henderson/Fedor). I guess it just depends on who's doing the hitting and who's getting hit. I don't for one second believe those 4 or 5 shots were intentional, it just happens sometimes when you start throwing while trying to get a finish. Then they're saying Mir is a mean old doodie head for breaking his arm. If Nog didn't want his arm to break he should have tapped out faster than he did, if the positions were reversed with Mir refusing to tap I don't think Nog would have had any problem upping the pressure till something went pop. And finally they are upset that he didn't go over to check on Nog after it was all over, if someone is surrounded by a half dozen medical people then it's best to stay out of their way and let them do their work. Once he was tapped up and mobile I'm sure he and Mir had a few words in the back.

As for Jones dropping Lyoto after the choke, this is people grasping at straws for things to hate him for. When the ref says it's over you break it up and step away, that's the rule. If Bones had maintained contact and gently laid Machida down like he was a sleeping baby like many people are demanding he should have, then I'd bet money that they'd instead be calling it a major sign of disrespect for Lyoto. It'd probably be something along the lines of "he didn't need help! he just wanted to humiliate Lyoto further by doing that to him" ect ect. Jones is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in some people's eyes. And yeah I've heard about Jackson telling Jones to go check on Machida after he was back on his stool and I agree it doesn't look very good from a PR standpoint, but keep in mind that he's only 24 and still has a ways to mature as a fighter and a person, he just won another huge fight in very impressive fashion and it probably just didn't cross his mind. Just like with Big Nog, if Lyoto had tapped he could have saved himself from further damage and chose not to.

PRIDE cometh before the fall perhaps?

Last edited:
So as expected, some people (especially sherdog) are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill over what Mir and Jones did last night, and it just makes me shake my head and this double standard shit needs to stop.

First they're saying Mir lost because the ref didn't call it a TKO after he went down and Nog was pounding on him. I love how it's ok for one fighter to hit someone else in the back of the head while a single shot in another fight should be grounds for an instant DQ (see Henderson/Fedor). I guess it just depends on who's doing the hitting and who's getting hit. I don't for one second believe those 4 or 5 shots were intentional, it just happens sometimes when you start throwing while trying to get a finish. Then they're saying Mir is a mean old doodie head for breaking his arm. If Nog didn't want his arm to break he should have tapped out faster than he did, if the positions were reversed with Mir refusing to tap I don't think Nog would have had any problem upping the pressure till something went pop. And finally they are upset that he didn't go over to check on Nog after it was all over, if someone is surrounded by a half dozen medical people then it's best to stay out of their way and let them do their work. Once he was tapped up and mobile I'm sure he and Mir had a few words in the back.

As for Jones dropping Lyoto after the choke, this is people grasping at straws for things to hate him for. When the ref says it's over you break it up and step away, that's the rule. If Bones had maintained contact and gently laid Machida down like he was a sleeping baby like many people are demanding he should have, then I'd bet money that they'd instead be calling it a major sign of disrespect for Lyoto. It'd probably be something along the lines of "he didn't need help! he just wanted to humiliate Lyoto further by doing that to him" ect ect. Jones is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't in some people's eyes. And yeah I've heard about Jackson telling Jones to go check on Machida after he was back on his stool and I agree it doesn't look very good from a PR standpoint, but keep in mind that he's only 24 and still has a ways to mature as a fighter and a person, he just won another huge fight in very impressive fashion and it probably just didn't cross his mind. Just like with Big Nog, if Lyoto had tapped he could have saved himself from further damage and chose not to.

PRIDE cometh before the fall perhaps?

I agree with you. If you don't tap, keep the pressure until the ref stops the fight. If you don't say anything, well, be prepared for the consequences. With Tim Sylvia it was pretty much the same story. Tight armbar, his arm popped, he didn't realize it and Mir keeps going until the ref stoppage. Until then, it means the fight is on.

I've seen so many fights where a fighter gets a submission, thinks the other one taps or gts then let go but the ref didn't seen anything wrong and keeps the fight going. Rousimar Palhares is the one that have been in both sides of the spectre: let go an ankle or knee lock early or keeps the pressure way after the refs stops, then paid the price for these acts.

As for Jones, he did what he had to. All the fuzz is to keep high audiences in the fighting blogs and websites.

So Lesnar/Overeem is still on... for now at least. The basic story is that Overeem was asked to submit a urine sample but left the country and didn't get in touch with the athletic commission till almost a week after the request. He's blaming this miscommunication on an assistant and has submitted both a urine and blood sample, but neither were done at an approved facility. So he's been granted a provisional license and will have to provide a urine sample before the fight takes place and will be tested at random twice more in the next 6 months. I think Mir will be kept on standby if this goes south.

If I was in charge of the UFC, I'd be performing olympic level drug testing randomly all year long for all fighters under contract. I'm sure more than a few top level fighters either are or at least have in the past used some form of steroids, but I'm of the mind that everyone is innocent till proven guilty.

Much to my surprise, Strikeforce won't be taken out behind the shed come next year, Showtime has extended the contract for another 2 years, but there will be some changes. After the HW GP ends (if that ever actually happens), the winner will have one more fight in the company and then the entire (4 people I think?) division will be absorbed into the UFC. They claim they're done picking up fighters, but I can't see them leaving guys like Gilbert and King Mo alone, especially Mo if Jones continues to rip through people like he has. Thankfully the women aren't going anywhere as well, my hope is that it can be built up in popularity over the next few years and eventually there will be enough of a talent pool for them to move to the big show. They're also killing the Challenger series which I think is a good move as no one ever watched it.

*sigh*

My picks for 141.

Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem - This one is tough to call because both fighters have serious holes in their game that I don't think either one has plugged.

Brock's wrestling pedigree isn't up for debate, but his MMA wrestling is, I don't care how many times the UFC tries to tell people his takedowns are unstoppable. Randy, Mir, Carwin, and Cain all proved that they can be stuffed and Carwin showed that he can be put on his ass as well. We all know how subpar his striking is, he has some power in his shots but zero technique. His cardio is suspect as well after his last match where he gassed out in less than a minute. Then we have him crawling into a fetal position when he starts getting hit, Pat Barry actually said that he was not allowed to hit Lesnar when he was brought in before the Cain fight.

Then we have Overeem, a crappy LHW who figured with some extra muscle (legit or otherwise) he could do much better at HW where the talent pool is incredibly shallow. He's survived on a steady diet of cans and looked terrible in his fight with Werdum this year. While I think he's a far better striker than Brock, I don't think he's K1 level because of the shenanigans that went on when he won the tournament last year. There's also his very questionable chin and suspect cardio to think about.

If Overeem cracks Brock with a few good shots, I expect him to crumple up like an empty beer can within the first 2 rounds. If Brock can get past his fear of getting hit and take Overeem down, I think he has the raw power to get a KO/TKO on the ground because of Reem's glass jaw. So I'm going to go with Overeem because as flawed as he is, his game is tighter and more well rounded than Brock's.

Nate Diaz vs. Donald Cerrone - I hate Cerrone, but as you know my hate for the Diaz brothers knows no bounds. So I want to see Cowboy trash him then trade his stupid mean mugging ass for cigarettes.

Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks - Fitch. Unless he's fighting GSP, betting on Fitch is one of the most sure things in MMA. And as I type this I have the feeling the MMA Gods are going "Oh really asshole? Watch this..."

Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexander Gustafsson - I like Vlad and he'll almost always be a tough fight for anyone, but I'm going to pick Alexander because of the one sided beating he put on Hamill that lead to his retirement.

I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit [my opponent] on a fight where I could have won by KO,? Nogueira wrote. ?But when Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the referee tell me to stop punching him at the neck and that is when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn?t hitting him on the neck, but on Mir?s side of the head, which is allowed.

Bullshit.

BullshitBigNog.jpg

Mountain and molehills PB, you needn't get so worked up over a minor detail. Especially since Nog himself gives Mir credit for the win and seems to bear no grudge over the result, other fighters would have kicked up a shitstorm that the ref didn't call the fight when Mir was down.

The problem is that Nog denies hitting Mir even after watching the video where he CLEARLY did hit in the back of the head, and then he in so many words said Dean's warning was bullshit. Yes he's giving Mir credit, but at the same time he's making an excuse for the loss, just like the last few times he's lost.

Apparently Dana White just confirmed that UFC will host an even in Sweden on April 14th! \o/

Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks - Fitch. Unless he's fighting GSP, betting on Fitch is one of the most sure things in MMA. And as I type this I have the feeling the MMA Gods are going "Oh really asshole? Watch this..."

Man I hate being right sometimes.

Seeing Fitch lose was awesome.

PB hated on the Diaz brothers and Nate won in an exciting battle, always good. :p

Gustafson continuing his way to the top, me likey.

Overeem showing better takedown defence than expected, Lesnar's health is a big question mark, retirement is probably the right call.

All in all a good night.

Time for the MMA 2012 thread to be born, I'll do the honours this time. :yes:

Last edited:
Dude, I post about MMA just as often as you. Also you referred to MMA being your domain, which explains some of your extremely biased picks tonight, it pleases me to see they came out wrong. Or maybe the three times you picked against JDS and got egg on your face.:p

Last edited: