Ugliest audience on the planet

*laughs* I've been there (both the camera guy, and the person catching a camera guy doing something inappropriate.) I used to work with the AV department at my high-school (yeah...I know...)

Quick story: we used to videotape the school board meetings and broadcast live on our school's cable TV station.

One day, I was the "producer" while two other students operated cameras, and one was the "sound guy." We all had headsets with microphones to speak to each other.

There was a segment where the choir teacher was speaking. She was...we'll say...she fit the stereotypical cartoon opera singer's physique....

Anyways, I'm watching her in stereo on both camera's monitors, and the sound guy behind me in the control room says "Man...she doesn't look good on camera."

I then said "Well...they say the camera adds 15 lbs...how many cameras do we have on dis bitch?"

At that point, the sound guy behind me breaks up in laughter, I see the cameras shaking, and you can hear the two camera operators holding back laughter because...they are in the same room as the school board meeting.

A few moments later, the laughs die down a bit, and just as the choir teacher sits down, I say "If the camera adds 15 lbs, maybe she should stop fucking eating cameras." (George Carlin, I think)

At that point, one camera goes dead (apparently, the guy ran backwards out of the room to avoid laughing out loud, and he tripped over the video feed cable, unplugging it. The 2nd camera operator fell back in her chair, allowing the camera to dive down to showing the ground, not knowing the other camera was out. We have 1:30 of dead-air while things get sorted out.

To avoid getting into trouble, runner-tripper guy said he was feeling sick and was running out of the room to puke, and camera-dropper girl said that his nearly-throwing-up made her gag, and that's why she let the camera crash-pan down to the ground.

After that night, those two camera operators banned me from the production room during events, and never told the teacher/head of the department why they always wanted me out on camera.

Ahem....

Ahem....

Dude (NecroJoe)... you've stolen my avatar and used it on the same forum! Bad :cry:

, I was standing behind one of the cameramen. He kept focusing on a girl to the left of Charlie, behind him. Constantly zooming in on the girl's face and cleavage.

That?s just fighting fire with fire, only fighting knockers with knockers. ;)

un-PWNED

un-PWNED

Well... I just un-PWNED myself by loading a new avatar.

I've honestly never seen my previous one (as used by NecroJoe) on the Final Gear forums before. And I also know where I got it from, and it wasn't here!

Oh well, I guess NecroJoe goes to the same "other" website as me. Pretty cool site huh Joe? I never knew you could that with a vacuum cleaner and baby oil before I saw the photos they posted on there.

:rolleyes:

They're just takin the piss, bolly ;)

Both are nice avatars. Particularly Necro's!

Well... I just un-PWNED myself by loading a new avatar.

Congrats on the new avatar, bolly. It?s made of win and seizures. ;)

(j/k ? relax fella, you?ll live longer!)

I didn't mean to PWN!!11 him, I was just stating a fact. He did sign up this year and Necro's had the same avatar for a while. :)

They're just takin the piss, bolly ;)

Thanks SL65. I know. But it's a bit like going to a party with a cool new hairstyle you think is a little different and then finding every geek there has the same thing! So it had to go. :cool:

Meanwhile , back at the ranch........

The AU audience are full of sum mighty butt-ugly beasts, ep 1 had me clawing my eyes out....

Christ all-bloody-mighty there were some ugmo monsters being highlighted in the background !! DONT the AU producers see whats coming down the lens ??? Or is it too technical for them to watch whats going on, because WE do ....

But for a lesson in camera angles....
Have a look at the shite that they put on TV every night about the Govt. Question Time , the labor lot do it best ( GO KEV... (you little wiener...))
--- they stack the rows behind the speaker with semi-decent babes so the talking turd at the front has a good backdrop.
Irrespective of what the gibberer is crapping on about, the babes in the background nod-as-one like dogs in the rear window of a Valiant.

At least the TGUK show producers seems to be able to herd the ugly beasts out the door or into the darkness and put a few 'sorts' behind the presenters.
I know its a little touch, but it makes SUCH a difference.

Just my 2c worth, Brett.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to PWN!!11 him, I was just stating a fact. He did sign up this year and Necro's had the same avatar for a while. :)

I think I've had it since I joined...if not, it was shortly thereafter... I've only tried to change it to something else recently, but it was too big, I couldn't be bothered to resize it, and then I realized...I hate cats.
Cats_in_a_square_box.gif

ThreadDirection.jpg

I think the problem is that TGUK is probably muuuuch more popular than TGA is in Australia. Also, since most of the supercars they review are european or japanese, and most of the places they go are in europe, and all 3 hosts have become celebrities of more-than-just Top Gear...it's probably easier to get any women there in the first place, and not just new car nerds and grease monkeys. I'm imagining the fanbase of TGA is much more blue-collar. I could be wrong, but that's what I'm going to think until I hear differently.

Necro Joe, I think the demographics and the popularity of the show is completely in the hands of the production team including the presenters.
Its easy to blame global economic downturns or Sliced Turnip prices for the failure of any business or TV show, but the worth of the TG venture is in the ingenuity and resources of the TGAU team.
If they want to succeed , then they will find a way to appeal to a wider market, men women and transexuals alike. Not just Blue collar /grease monkey-types.
And its truly not a hard ask.

M*A*S*H doesnt have a fan base solely of ex-war medicos,
Gilligans Island watchers arent all Castaways,
and not everyone who watches TGUK/AU is interested in cars.

Dare I say,...
its not about the cars.

And thats why TGUK is successful, because they dont focus on serious car talk.( Because they know squat.)
Its about fun, stupidity, finding quick ways to treat an already jaded TV audience to something they havent already been bored to death with. And with a touch of car reference or not.
Blow it up, drown it, race it or destroy it, thats what people want to see from evening TV entertainment,something to take them away from the 2 hr drive from their Sydney factory to their Central Coast home.

Choosing car experts or looking for people with car cred was TGAU's first mistake, they couldve used....

1/. Jonathon Coleman, ( ex-WonderWorld fat guy.)
2/. The dude from Deal or no Deal, and
3/. Bert Newton
and had an instant success that was popular with guys, girls and on all levels of intelligence.
But not a very high level tho....

Choosing car experts or looking for people with car cred was TGAU's first mistake, they couldve used....

1/. Jonathon Coleman, ( ex-WonderWorld fat guy.)
2/. The dude from Deal or no Deal, and
3/. Bert Newton
and had an instant success that was popular with guys, girls and on all levels of intelligence.
But not a very high level tho....

...:cry:I'm now going to have nightmares about a TGA hosted by those people. Can you just imagine what an irrelevant (NOT irreverent) watery load of old un-funny steaming pile of bad that would be.

Lol @ this thread. My bud and I were saying similar things about the audience. I did spot a mildly attractive cutie last ep though.

This is relevant in what way? Why watch a car show to judge the attractiveness of the audience?

Because the hosts don't hold my attention, gotta do something to stay entertained. :cool:

Doesn't anyone think Warren and Steve are rather weird looking too?

Watching TGA I have noticed something, seems like a lot of Australians have gap teeth? Is that true or just seems that way?

Doesn't anyone think Warren and Steve are rather weird looking too?

No more weird looking than the TGUK hosts. I think they're pretty regular looking guys, but maybe I just hang out with too many freaks :lol:

No more weird looking than the TGUK hosts. I think they're pretty regular looking guys, but maybe I just hang out with too many freaks :lol:

I dunno, maybe I'm just so used to the UK hosts. I'm not really very superficial, but I figured since this thread is here, the hosts aren't the most attractive either. The UK trio seem a lot more average looking to me.

He kept focusing on a girl to the left of Charlie, behind him. Constantly zooming in on the girl's face and cleavage. It 'appears' that he was discussing something on his headset with someone in the production room about the girl, albeit almost in complete stealth while setting up the shot. At one stage, he had zoomed in on her and was 'nodding' by raising the camera up and down, ever so slightly. Would love to have heard theat conversation.

;-)
Sounds like normal guys at work, God knows I do that, it's a fun game. But seriously what's with the audience, everything Hollywood has ever told me about Australia, the audience should be packed with fit, tanned, surfer girls, who surf all day and have beach parties every single night. And they NEVER change out of their bikinis. LIES!

Dons flameproof suit :cool:
Damnit Dave, give Don back his suit!

Last edited: