Votes: 28 42.4%
  • Against

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Don't give a damn

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters
Or this on the front
Gau8a_a.jpg

It's illegal in PA to ride the passing lane.

There's a significant problem with the enforceability of this law: it only becomes illegal use of the left lane after 2 miles of not passing a vehicle in the right lane.

Also, there is no law in this state against using the right lane to pass someone driving slowly in the left lane, so people care even less about the above law.

Undertaking isn't illegal here. Stupidly, no one follows the "fast lane" rules either (well, some do, but it's not enforced or taught)

I try to be in the slow lane when I'm not overtaking someone, but it's quite difficult because of the above mentioned problem. Therefore, I do undertake people sometimes.

PS. Typing on an unfamiliar keyboard is really hard. lol.

It's illegal here too, but what I do is get behind, turn the indicator on and if he doesn't notice, start blinking the high beams. If that still goes unnoticed, then I'll undertake. Sometimes, if I'm feeling like a real asshole, I'll pull up in front and slowly start slowing down, just to annoy the fuck out of the lane hogger and constantly look behind if there isn't someone else that I might be obstructing and take off when it does eventually happen.

This explains soooo much.

Someone post the "meanwhile, in slovenia" graphic, please?

This explains so much?

I LEARNED THIS ON THIS BOARD! FROM YOUR FELLOW AMERICANS! Don't give me "this explains so much" bullshit, it was probably you who gave me the idea in the first place.

:rolleyes:

Not illegal here, I actually do it on a very frequent basis as nobody here seems to understand the left lane here is the passing lane and the right lane is the slow lane. Treated very much like overtaking here, so its confusing to me why its illegal elsewhere unless people actually get tickets for being too slow in the passing lane.

unless people actually get tickets for being too slow in the passing lane.

Over here you do. Not often, but it happens. Not for being too slow on the left lane though but for disobeying the Rechtsfahrgebot (road laws require you to use the rightmost lane unless there is a reason not to, ie overtaking or congestion).

Over here you do. Not often, but it happens. Not for being too slow on the left lane though but for disobeying the Rechtsfahrgebot (road laws require you to use the rightmost lane unless there is a reason not to, ie overtaking or congestion).

We need that in the US. Hell, we need better testing of drivers and better enforcement (meaning: cops that actually know the law instead of making up whatever they want).

I am in the nasty habit of actualy tailgating when that happens (I know I know) , but it tends to get them to move over rather quickly.
Also , flashing your lights does wonders, specialy during the night and if your vehicle is high up, you effectivly light up his interior like a Christmas three.....

I might not be the nicest peron alive to lanehoggers......I realise that......

This explains so much?

I LEARNED THIS ON THIS BOARD! FROM YOUR FELLOW AMERICANS! Don't give me "this explains so much" bullshit, it was probably you who gave me the idea in the first place.

:rolleyes:

:lmao:

Ice, I live in Texas. People who do that can get shot here.

There is no possible way I gave you that idea.

Last edited:
I'm pretty anal about traffic rules in general, but there are a few things I do from time to time, and undertaking belongs to them. I do not undertake to pass a car which is directly in front of me, I always wait until he makes way. But I will flash the lights once when it's clear that there is room for him to get out of the way and noone else in front of him.

What I will do however is pass lanehoggers on the right when they occupy one of the faster lanes for no reason and I come up behind them on the slow lane. Happens to me on the A3 now and then: three lane Autobahn, I'm on the right as the highways code says, and some idiot stays in the middle for no reason whatsoever. I can't be bothered to change to the very left to pass him and then back to the very right at times, so I just pass him on the right.

So yes, I undertake at times, but only under the above circumstances.

I'm pretty anal about traffic rules in general, but there are a few things I do from time to time, and undertaking belongs to them. I do not undertake to pass a car which is directly in front of me, I always wait until he makes way. But I will flash the lights once when it's clear that there is room for him to get out of the way and noone else in front of him.

What I will do however is pass lanehoggers on the right when they occupy one of the faster lanes for no reason and I come up behind them on the slow lane. Happens to me on the A3 now and then: three lane Autobahn, I'm on the right as the highways code says, and some idiot stays in the middle for no reason whatsoever. I can't be bothered to change to the very left to pass him and then back to the very right at times, so I just pass him on the right.

This.

three lane Autobahn, I'm on the right as the highways code says, and some idiot stays in the middle for no reason whatsoever. I can't be bothered to change to the very left to pass him and then back to the very right at times, so I just pass him on the right.

You are allowed to stay in the middle lane of a 3+ lane Autobahn even if there is room for switching to the right between trucks, campervans and caravans (?7 3c StVO). You only need to move to the right if there is zero traffic there.

Last edited:
You need three lane roads in the first place to give any thought to that problem so I've never thought about it. But if you drive slowly in the left lane, you'll simply get passed by traffic in the right lane.

Well, it's fun to do, changing 2 lanes right behind and in front of the idiots. I actually got a few to notice the error of their ways and move to the right lane after I passed. Some just stay there, cause they don't care, I suppose.

My point of view:
In a 3 lane highway, if someone is being a slowpoke on the left lane you flash your lights and tell him to move over. If he doesn't then be patient. I'd rather have patient slightly angry people than undertaking security risks.
When I finish my overtaking and return to the middle/right lane, I usually check my mirrors to see if the car I overtook is at a safe distance. But if someone undertakes me it's unexpected and it could mean an accident, specially if they're at my blind spot.
Anything that can be done so 2 cars dont touch at speeds in excess of 100km/h is a good thing. I rather lose 2 minutes behind some slow dude on the left lane than risk my life and total my car.

Oh also its worthy to note that if I'm currently circulating at 120kph in the middle lane, and there's an idiot doing 90 on the left (fast) lane, and I pass him on the right, I don't consider that undertaking. To me, undertaking means coming up from behind him in the same lane and going to the right to overtake, taking another lane.

Last edited:
I used to try to teach people patiently and carefully, but the success rate was so small that I just can't be bothered anymore.

And when I undertake a lanehogger, I always prepare to brake, watch his actions carefully and go past at a reasonable speed.

This is why I would love to install one of the train air horns. This is a huge problem in Utah. Practically nobody here understands lane etiquette. You have people passing in the far right lane and people trying to exit from the left lane. The middle lane is full of semis, which in all honesty, the middle lane should be their overtaking lane. They cause a lot of what I like to call blood clots, on the roads. People are scared to pass them. And then you have a mass of vehicles forming a rolling road block.

What I do is I just pass wherever, and whenever I have room. Lucky for me it's not illegal to pass on the right.