UNIX And Beards

UNIX And Beards

• Total voters

chaos386

.sa = bad driver!
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR
Is the stereotype that all UNIX users have beards true? I'm feeling a bit silly, so time to find out!

Software side: for the purpose of the poll, I'm collecting Linux, BSD, the commercial Unices and OS X all under the Unix umbrella. It can be either command line only or a full desktop OS, but it only counts if you use it for a significant amount of time at home or work. Embedded OSs in consumer electronics like routers or cameras don't count, and neither do Android phones. Linux netbooks count (assuming you didn't install XP over the original OS, of course :p).

EDIT: if you use Unix *and* windows, select one of the first two options anyway. The poll isn't to show which OS is more popular, just to compare the beard distribution between those who use *nix on a regular basis (by itself or with another OS) and those who don't use it at all.

Hardware side: it's gotta be more than a mustache, but it doesn't have to be fully grown. As long as you're trying to get a beard, it counts.

Last edited:
OS X on my Desktop, Linux (debian unstable) on my headless mp3 player/server/tinkerbox.
Additionally, i know three girls who use ubuntu and only one has a beard ;)

Should have included an option for both *nix and Windows. :p

:+1:

Limiting yourself to one kind of OS is stupid, each has it's merits, learn to use them.

Oh, and i'm bearded and i fully believe that you cannot be a true *NIX geek without some kind of (unkempt) facial hair.

The Windows options are really supposed to mean "I never use *nix"; I probably should have worded those options better, because I didn't mean you had to use *nix exclusively. :oops:

I'm too not uber computer geeky to use linux, so I use OS X. I'm a lazy re:unemployed bum at the moment and rarely shave, so I guess I'm option 1.

I have a beard: for everyday stuff, I use Windows........but for web servers, I use Linux.

I'm writing in "Would like to grow a beard but is ethnically unable, would like to use UNIX but can't be arsed".

no i do not have a beard :p

my wife's uncle is a system admin, who uses Unix, yet has no beard nor moustache
I rock both, yet use Windows (because I'm lazy and will not accept change)

so no, the stereotype doesn't fit

I'm using Linux (currently Debian at work, Kubuntu at home; plus VMs with WinXP) for about five years now, but I've got my beard only for about three months or so.

Using Ubuntu Jaunty right now, and I'm cleanly shaven. :mrgreen:

This poll isn't really showing any correlation.
Except that there is less awesome people than regular people.

windows, and i just shaved :D
I have used ubuntu with/without beard, but it didn't make me any more different as i used linux.

The beard gives you something to scratch while figuring out gcc errors in gentoo.

I only use Windows and I have a goatee.

Do I have to change my answer if I shaved?

Beard and Windows here... I've had OS X in the past, but just Windows right now.

I consider myself a huge geek, but I never got into UNIX or Linux. I tried Corel Linux way back when, couldn't figure it out so I went back.