URGENT HELP - What Lens and Flash are used in these photos?

tooomahs

Car(s)
350z
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an approximate guess of what lens and what type of flash were used in the photos on this website: http://www.luxy-taipei.com/en/photos.php?luxyEventDate=2009-07-10

I wanted to take similar pictures and assuming it's a Canon camera and is not zoomed in, I was thinking of a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM and a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II.

Does anyone know? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :cry:

What you need is probably any dslr and a flash and some practice/knowing what you're doing.
Practice is probably more important then gear.

I use the camera's built-in flash but the flash seems too "focused".

I know what you mean, big mike, but sometimes gear does help. Technically, I can produce well-lit results with the camera's built in flash and aperture mode, but i have to hold my hand really still for about 2-3 seconds or the subject has to stand still.

I don't have a stand-alone flash and was wondering if buying a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II would help with the lighting issue and make the pictures look more natural like in the pics of that website.

Last edited:
It could be just about any lens and just about any external flash with a simple diffuser. My initial guess would be a short, fast prime.

It could be just about any lens and just about any external flash with a simple diffuser. My initial guess would be a short, fast prime.

So you're saying that if I had a Canon Speedlite EX II (either 430 or 530) equipped and had a 0.5 second exposure with aperture mode (to get a more natural background lighting), I can replicate shots like that?

and I would also prefer a low f stop (bigger aperture) because it seems like the subjects are in great focus while the background is blurred. and fast shots are needed since clubs are poorly light.

correct me if i am wrong.

what exactly is a prime btw?

So you're saying that if I had a Canon Speedlite EX II (either 430 or 530) equipped and had a 0.5 second exposure with aperture mode (to get a more natural background lighting), I can replicate shots like that?
Yes, but make sure you have a diffuser so that the flash lighting isn't harsh.

and I would also prefer a low f stop (bigger aperture) because it seems like the subjects are in great focus while the background is blurred. and fast shots are needed since clubs are poorly light.
Yes, a wide aperture is a must.

what exactly is a prime btw?
A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens, usually with a fast maximum aperture. The most common fast prime is a 50mm f/1.8 because they are of very good optical quality and very cheap.

Keep in mind that even if you get that photog's exact equipment, that doesn't mean that you will be able to take shots like the ones he took. At the same time, its likely possible to get even better shots than those using cheaper or less equipment than he used. Just my 2 cents :)

and theres also the difference in photoshopping.

My bed would be a fast prime, manual exposure and flash with diffuser.

It's impossible to say for sure, though.

Oh, it's very. I like a hard bed. I especially like that feel of the umbrella eating into my back, while the bayonet mount of the prime can get a little tiresome. It does however help with my aching back..

:)