USA in Cricket Semi-Final

The reason cricket is not very popular in US, is because we have Baseball.

I'm actually very surprise we have a US team. Anyway I guess good luck US.

'Nuff people say, you know they can't believe, Jamaica USA, we have a bobsled cricket team.

Yeah I think a team of reasonably good baseball players, after a bit of training could turn their hand to cricket and be pretty good - especially the bowlers.

KaJuN - I felt a similar thing when I found out Jersey (tiny Island off the coast of France) has a bobsleigh team - and actually did pretty well. :)

IMHO the current 20Twenty format will fit perfectly for the US. What do you think?

Viper - sort of but actually much closer to baseball and very little like golf.

You have two batsman and a bowler - bowler has to try and hit the sticks behind the batsman to get him out - batsman has to hit the ball as hard as possible so he can get as many runs as possible before one of the fielders catches the ball or throws it back to the wicket keeper who can, assuming the batsmen aren't safe - hit the wicket to knock them out.

The goal is to get as many runs as you can before all your batsmen are bowled out or before the end of the innings - anything from 20 overs and up - an over is 6 balls.

Then when you're bowling/fielding you need to get the other teams batsmen out as quickly as possible for as few runs as possible.

For example:

Norway: 85 all out (31.1 overs)
USA: 87-0 (14.5 overs)

In this match the USA got all of Norways ten batsmen out in 31 overs + 1 ball and Norway only got 85 runs in that time.

Then when the USA were batting they managed to get 87 runs with their first batsmen still in and did it in just 14.5 overs.

Viper - sort of but actually much closer to baseball and very little like golf.

So it's like bowling + baseball.

You guys think up such crazy ass sports. All those old sports make so little sense, heh.

As a American and somewhat Cricket fan (my other half loves Cricket) I can see why American just are not in to cricket for the most part.

First you have the weird format of Test Cricket and ODI. If you think about the popular sports in America in terms of watching most dont last over 90 mins and baseball, which people here think is too long, is trying to be 165 min in length. So the idea of watching a game that last the whole day or about so, is just crazy to most.

20/20 seems to solve that problem, and I think with the faster pace of scoring also helps. As American love the long ball =P

And 2nd and most important thing is History. Yes History in our very young nation, but baseball likes to stick to its history and its place in American history. Its not called the "National Pastime" for no reason. Baseball was the first sport I learned as a kid and I think i am not the only one. So it would be hard to break the mold you learn as a kid about the sport, and since cricket is close in many ways to baseball it would be hard to unseat it.

Last edited:
Test Cricket is 5 Days and at the end (if played in England at least) there will be no result as it will have rained for four and a half of them.

I love cricket and have been looking for a team in Orlando to play with, but have too many other things going on. BTW...I was damn good at the game. Jus' sayin'

Just to round things off as I started by saying USA are in the semi-final.

They lost to Jersey.

Jersey beat the USA by 84 runs
Jersey 220-5 (50.0 overs)
USA 136 all out (38.2 overs)

...all is quiet on ESPN USA....

Oh and upyourego: Thanks for the vid! Especially that one clip where the Pakistani Bowler got it straight down the middle!