USB Power

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Doesn't Guzzi offer an OEM USB port? It's probably hideously expensive, but I'd be more inclined to use that.

So I went ahead and bought a USB power port for my bike.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NEJ46V8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I'd rather not plug it right into the battery in case there would be a power drain. What would be the best reversible (no splicing of existing wires) way to plug it into the ignition system?

No way to get around it, you'd have to splice wires (or at least make an intermediary harness) if you *don't* connect that direct to battery assuming you don't have an accessory port in your wiring harness. If you're worried about power drain you could wire in a relay. Shorts would be taken care of by the fuse included in that harness.

Personally, I would suggest going with a standard 12V outlet and use a plug-in USB adapter for it. That will eliminate most possibility of drain and allow you a much more versatile set of options. If you have a battery-connected 12V outlet, you can also use it as a convenient battery charging connection - to charge the bike's battery or keep it on a battery tender if it's laid up for a while. You can also use the same connector to power electric riding gear in winter, or a Valentine 1 in summer. Lots and lots of options that way.

Cycle Gear carries the 12V outlets pretty cheap, but not all their kits have integral fuses. If you get one that doesn't have a fuse, add one in that line.

Doesn't Guzzi offer an OEM USB port? It's probably hideously expensive, but I'd be more inclined to use that.

Only the new ones apparently.

No way to get around it, you'd have to splice wires (or at least make an intermediary harness) if you *don't* connect that direct to battery assuming you don't have an accessory port in your wiring harness. If you're worried about power drain you could wire in a relay. Shorts would be taken care of by the fuse included in that harness.

Personally, I would suggest going with a standard 12V outlet and use a plug-in USB adapter for it. That will eliminate most possibility of drain and allow you a much more versatile set of options. If you have a battery-connected 12V outlet, you can also use it as a convenient battery charging connection - to charge the bike's battery or keep it on a battery tender if it's laid up for a while. You can also use the same connector to power electric riding gear in winter, or a Valentine 1 in summer. Lots and lots of options that way.

Cycle Gear carries the 12V outlets pretty cheap, but not all their kits have integral fuses. If you get one that doesn't have a fuse, add one in that line.

I already ordered the part, so I'll just plug it into the battery and see if it drains the battery over a weekend. From what I have read the bike can't handle too many accessories so I'm not concerned about adding anything else. Plus this is Seattle, you can do 120 and the cops wouldn't bother pulling you over, admittedly you'd be dead after the first pot hole.

Replace your incandescent lights with LEDs, you'd be astonished by how much power you'll free up to either reduce the load on the engine or to power something else. Dumping all the conventional bulbs on my 919 freed up enough that I can run an entire heated suit with overhead to spare.