USB Problem... Help

mmap

once upon a time I went and used a USB hub on my computer... Now it was the 1,0 (or whatever) type and therefore slow. This didn't bother me as I only used it to connect my mouse and other things which didn't really require speed.

Now though, after I no longer use it, my compter is only 1.0 USB and this is friggin annoying. I just bought a new external HD and transfer times are ludicrous!!! Somehow the HUB made my perfectly good 2.0 USB connections into 1.0 and I cannot for the life of me make them normal again. (I use windows XP BTW)

Has someone had similar issues or is therwise smart enough to help me???

Thanks in advance

Hold on, I dont get something, u said "normal again" but your computer has only low-speed USBs so how was it normal be4? I see 1 solution here, buy PCI card with 3 or 5 USB ports.

My computer has USB 2, but after I had used the HUB it only has USB 1 transfer speeds anymore (whenever I conect something to it it says "a non high speed device plugged into a high speed port" or something similar, evn though the device is very much high speed...).

And it s a laptop.

Have you tried checking your device manager, maybe there is an option between 1 and 2 speeds

Fuck me... Playd around with the device manager and now I have no mouse!

The friggin windows help (the MOST useles thing EVER!!!!!) told me to uninstall and tehn reinstall my drivers but hey, once I ninstalled the whole USB port disappeared and I have nothing to re install.

This whole friggin machine is about to make a sudden and VERY hard contact with concrete.

Well if you disabled your USB controllers, u have to find ps/2 mouse or use keyboard. I am not sure what you could have done coz in my device manager there are no other options apart only the main ones enable/disable.

Nah, I'll just reinstall windows...

But I HATE COMPUTER WITH A PASSION!!!

As far as im understanding you, your external was changed from 2.0 back to the slower usb speed. so why are you fiddling with the pc? the HDD needs to be fixed back to using the 2.0 speed. Its been reconfigured to use only 1.1(somehow) so thats where you have to concentrate attention. I dont think the device manager can do that anyway. 8)

When you uninstalled the usb host controllers and hubs from your device manager, Windows should have attempted to reinstall them on bootup.
If that didn't work, you could try to get a setup program (or .inf file) for your motherboard, which should attempt to reinstall usb as well.
Also check your bios settings, my motherboard has an option to turn on/off usb 2.0 for example.

ESPNSTI said:
When you uninstalled the usb host controllers and hubs from your device manager, Windows should have attempted to reinstall them on bootup.
If that didn't work, you could try to get a setup program (or .inf file) for your motherboard, which should attempt to reinstall usb as well.
Also check your bios settings, my motherboard has an option to turn on/off usb 2.0 for example.
actually it'll be quicker to reinstall Windows than goingth rough all that

Xeon SX said:
:no: If I were to do that, it shouldn't take me more than an hour.
Reinstalling Windows and getting all the programs, games, updates and settings set up again takes days before it's all right again.

ESPNSTI said:
Xeon SX said:
Reinstalling Windows and getting all the programs, games, updates and settings set up again takes days before it's all right again.

Actually if I were doing it, reinstalling Windows would take 30min ;)

ESPNSTI said:
Xeon SX said:

As I undetsrtud next to nothing about your suggeston I am going to assume that re instal is the easy way :)

And I have no games or applications on my comp other than office and utorrent so its not really all that big a hassle (I just hate to do it anyway)

(and on a side note having played around a bit more I found out that my computer still thinks the HUB is connected no matter what I do...)

About Windows, its allways giving problems, from slow start ups to viruses. Having many many GB of free space I can reinstall it no problem. If u're in the same boat, reinstall ;)

but I have to say I'd like to know the cause of this problem.

mmap said:
ESPNSTI said:
Xeon SX said:

As I undetsrtud next to nothing about your suggeston I am going to assume that re instal is the easy way :)

And I have no games or applications on my comp other than office and utorrent so its not really all that big a hassle (I just hate to do it anyway)

(and on a side note having played around a bit more I found out that my computer still thinks the HUB is connected no matter what I do...)

If you didn't understand what I meant perhaps a reinstall is better...
However, I'll try to explain anyway:

http://img183.imageshack.**/img183/3128/usbuninstallyy2.jpg
Basically in device manager (Right click on my computer->properties->hardware tab->device manager), uninstall every usb host controller and hub device.
After that reboot, and Windows should attempt to reinstall them.

^^ Tried that...

restarted teh computer fingers crossed... then the message popped up "found new hardware" and I was like YES its found me mice again! But NO it found the fucking HUB again and that bugger hasn't been connected to my computer for a year! (and my mouse still doesn't work).

I'll do the reinstall tomorrow, thanks for all of your help though :)