Used D200 vs. new D90

So I went for second hand D300 which I found in a photography shop over here. ?730 for the body, plus a 18-70mm lens is a good deal I think :)

It's a beauty, that's for sure. Just walking home last night the difference in low light conditions between this and the D40 is lightyears. You can just shoot anything with this thing in the dark. Incredible. I'm a happy man :D

My forearms still need to get used to this vs the D40 though :lol:

So I went for second hand D300 which I found in a photography shop over here. ?730 for the body, plus a 18-70mm lens is a good deal I think :)

It's a beauty, that's for sure. Just walking home last night the difference in low light conditions between this and the D40 is lightyears. You can just shoot anything with this thing in the dark. Incredible. I'm a happy man :D

My forearms still need to get used to this vs the D40 though :lol:

At least you will have better weight balance when using larger, heavier telephoto lenses. I remember using my superzooms on my D40 body and the whole setup was so front heavy it was absurd.

D7000 pics are out

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/09/14/the-pictures-nikon-d7000-sb-700-351-4-2002.aspx

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/09/14/nikon-d7000-front-and-sb-700-back.aspx

nikon-d7000-front.jpg

nikon-d7000.jpg

nikon-sb-700-back.png

nikon-35mm-f1.4.jpg

nikon-sb-700.jpg

Ooh a front view photo, first one I've seen. :)

Man, the Speedlight controls look nice. The menu control on my SB-800 are rather clunky.

Pics of the 39-point AF and magnesium body are also popping up. If this thing is really $1200, it's going to eat the 60D's lunch.

You can just about get an idea of the idea of the AF layout on the LCD in the bottom photo of these three.

d70003.jpg

Edit: AF and body photos just popped up on my auto-updating Google search. :)

nikon-d7000-39-points-af.png

nikon-d7000-magnesium-alloy-body.png

Last edited:
I love the fact they made the shooting mode (single shot, continuous-low, cont-high, wireless trigger, timer) a real dial underneath the PASM dial instead of the button+command dial

I love the fact they made the shooting mode (single shot, continuous-low, cont-high, wireless trigger, timer) a real dial underneath the PASM dial instead of the button+command dial

Yeah, that's a slight rework of the D300 system. It's very nice to have.

Now, call me crazy, but this camera seems to be edging VERY close to D300 territory in both features and design. It leaves me wondering if Nikon might be pushing the DXXX series to be FX-only cameras. I mean, maybe the D300s replacement becomes an entry-level FX camera while the D700 successor stays upmarket. I'm must not sure where everything's going to fit in the pricing scale when all's said and done.

Or, maybe I'm totally wrong and they have something crazy in store for the D400.

Last edited:
I assume that it will give you a clear focusing screen, free from any markings, a la D300. I also wonder how many of those are cross-type.

With the T2i, Canon was ahead in the leap-frog game. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a slight rework of the D300 system. It's very nice to have.

Now, call me crazy, but this camera seems to be edging VERY close to D300 territory in both features and design. It leaves me wondering if Nikon might be pushing the DXXX series to be FX-only cameras. I mean, maybe the D300s replacement becomes an entry-level FX camera while the D700 successor stays upmarket. I'm must not sure where everything's going to fit in the pricing scale when all's said and done.

Or, maybe I'm totally wrong and they have something crazy in store for the D400.

That's too much speculation for me, i'm already getting confused with their new model numbering systems and what is supposed to go where.

I guess we can now say x000 series cameras are amateur to pro-am, while the x00 series will be lower to high end pro level while the Dx (single digit) will still be the reigning king pro body.

I wonder how long it will be before Nikon announces specs for a D4, Canon already has their 1D Mk4 line so Nikon is slacking.

If the D7000 is *that* close to the D300 specs, I will be replacing my D90 for sure because I will always want a quality crop sensor body in my armament and the upgrades basically answer every performance limitation I'd like to fix with my D90 while retaining the same PASM mode switch and rear button layout that I'm used to. I've played around w my friends D300 and D700 and while I can get used to their setup, I prefer what I have now (oddly Canon seems to stick with its PASM dials for all their cameras).

Last edited:
wow D7000 is already shipping NEXT MONTH, thats a lot faster than I thought:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1009/10091515nikond7000.asp

things I've read above that I like:

- 100% viewfinder coverage
- expanded ISO range up to 25600 (we already knew that) with true ISO 100 on the low end
- twin SD card slots
- shutter speed up to 1/8000
- 39 pt AF system
- 6 fps shooting
- mirror lockup shooting mode (the Mup on the shooting mode dial)
- selectable 12 or 14 bit RAW processing

and most important

D7000_front_l.jpg

it's retained AF servo motor screw so still fully compatible with wide range of older lenses.

Think I'm going to get ready to sell my D90 soon.

Last edited:
I'm not going to actively try to sell my D90, but if...

1) I get to the point where I have some spending money
2) someone wants to buy my D90 (I know someone locally who's looking for a camera, anyway, and does not want to spend $1,500)

...I will be selling it to replace with a D7000. I am really not the type of person who generally drools over the latest and greatest when I already have a perfectly-functioning predecessor; I'm actually very reserved and careful with my money. The D7000 is really just that impressive.

Last edited:
Already preordered mine from amazon.com. My bday is next month so this will be my gift to myself

amazon is selling the body alone for $1200 btw

Last edited:
Pics of the 39-point AF and magnesium body are also popping up. If this thing is really $1200, it's going to eat the 60D's lunch.
60D? Heck, I'm not seeing many areas where it doesn't meet or exceed the 7D. Canon's going to be scrambling to get some discounts going pretty soon.

60D? Heck, I'm not seeing many areas where it doesn't meet or exceed the 7D. Canon's going to be scrambling to get some discounts going pretty soon.

Some specs already outperform or exceed the 300s while matching or coming close in many other respects. Either way it looks like a D90 but performs MUCH closer to the 300s for barely more than the D90 when it was new.

The D300 has more dedicated controls, but, the D7000 is, indeed, close. I guess Nikon figures they've sold enough D300 models ;)

As a Canon user, they really dropped the ball on the 60D. It's only slightly better than their Rebel series and not as good as the 7D. If they made it any better it would compete too much with the 7D, but now that the D7000 is coming out Canon needs to step up their game.

As a Canon user, they really dropped the ball on the 60D. It's only slightly better than their Rebel series and not as good as the 7D. If they made it any better it would compete too much with the 7D, but now that the D7000 is coming out Canon needs to step up their game.

Likewise Nikon has some hurdles to jump over with their eventual D300/700 successors, lets call them the D400/800 for now...

As a Canon user, they really dropped the ball on the 60D. It's only slightly better than their Rebel series and not as good as the 7D.

What are you talking about? The whole point of the 60D is to sit between the 7D and the rebel series. Is the 25,600 ISO a 2 or 3 stop push?

Last edited:
What are you talking about? The whole point of the 60D is to sit between the 7D and the rebel series. Is the 25,600 ISO a 2 or 3 stop push?

It was an underwhelming upgrade. The 7D seemed like a suitable 50D successor except for the price. So now the 60D is stuck in the middle and not competitive against the D7000.