Users fight to save Windows XP

ZOMG! I just read on the internets that the "expiry date" for XP has once again been extended from june 2008 to mid 2010!

ie it'll still be available in stores until then. Reason is they don't want users of "low end" pcs be scared by the mega power requirements of Vista, and buy some other OS.

Epic win!

Wonder if there is any coincidence that that is when the next new version of Windows will be released, the one to replace Vista.

Wonder if there is any coincidence that that is when the next new version of Windows will be released, the one to replace Vista.
Doubt it, they probably think that we'll all have computers that are good enough to run Vista well by then, and that is obviously not going to happen.

Doubt it, they probably think that we'll all have computers that are good enough to run Vista well by then, and that is obviously not going to happen.

Why would they want us to run Vista when they will have a new OS then or at least they are supposed to. As far as I know they started development on the next Windows well before Vista was even finished, so Vista really is looking like a stop gap OS. I'm starting to think it's a bit like Windows "Me" and maybe the next one will be the next XP, a good OS.

As far as I know they started development on the next Windows well before Vista was even finished

Yes, and you know when development on Vista was started? Right, somewhere in 2000/2001, way before your precious coveted XP was even finished.

One can only hope that MS would be so good to us.

Why would they want us to run Vista when they will have a new OS then or at least they are supposed to. As far as I know they started development on the next Windows well before Vista was even finished, so Vista really is looking like a stop gap OS. I'm starting to think it's a bit like Windows "Me" and maybe the next one will be the next XP, a good OS.

And when then new OS (Win 7) is released you will bitch and moan that Vista is better, bitch some more on your stupid blogs making everyone else echo you so now everyone is bitching and moaning for no good reason about how Vista is more stable and your shitty out-of-date Desktop can't fun it properly..

Thats Windows 7

its coming out pretty soon..

And when then new OS (Win 7) is released you will bitch and moan that Vista is better, bitch some more on your stupid blogs making everyone else echo you so now everyone is bitching and moaning for no good reason about how Vista is more stable and your shitty out-of-date Desktop can't fun it properly..

But by that time, quad-cores and 4GB of ram will be common place, and the software compatibility for Vista would've been caught up or exceeds XP. Windows 7 will probably need 16GB of ram and a Hexa-core to run it. :lol:

My desktop is not out of date and it's running XP not by my choice but by my school's, they won't switch to Vista for a reason and I'm not exactly sure why that is. My laptop that was brand new last August is running Vista and the only problem I have with it is the mem usage as I've said in this thread before, if that was fixed it'd be better than XP in my opinion as I've said before in this thread.

Also I don't blog I hate the freaking word and those who do annoy the heck out of me, bloggers can die for all I care.

I'd rather have Vista on my desktop that's more equipped to run it, so I can use DX10 with my 8800, and have my laptop running XP to speed it up. I had some other problems before SP1 but since then they all seem to be fixed, good job Microsoft, but the mem usage isn't and before you say get 2 gigs again I already have 2 gigs.

You know an OS is bloated when you can install Linux on a computer and have it run twice as fast with 1/8th of the resources. My friend installed Linux on an old box of his that only had 256 megs of ram, and it was browsing the web and running aps at twice the speed that his Vista box ran at with 2gb of ram.

For most people, this is all they use a computer for.

Can someone explain again why we need Vista?

You know an OS is bloated when you can install Linux on a computer and have it run twice as fast with 1/8th of the resources. My friend installed Linux on an old box of his that only had 256 megs of ram, and it was browsing the web and running aps at twice the speed that his Vista box ran at with 2gb of ram.

I take it he wasn't using a current version of Gnome or KDE. I am certain he wasn't using OpenOffice.

I take it he wasn't using a current version of Gnome or KDE. I am certain he wasn't using OpenOffice.

Actually, OpenOffice has had quite a few significant speed improvements recently. Upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4 cut the startup time on my laptop from seconds to tenths of a second, and with the quickstarter enabled, it starts up instantly. And for what it's worth, the Hardy beta only uses 250-700 MB of RAM on my laptop while running Rhythmbox, Pidgin, Tor, Vidalia, Evince, Totem, Tracker, Compiz, various panel applets, and Firefox 3 with 20 tabs open. I still wouldn't recommend Linux for stalwart Windows users, but it really *is* more lightweight.

OK, you guy can go back to the XP vs. Vista flamewar now. :p