Users fight to save Windows XP

Other than Directx10, there's NO real reason to upgrade to Vista. So why should we? Microsoft is just trying to push a new product out the door.

I'm going to hang onto XP as long as I possibly can, and by then I hope somebody will have a nice modified, slim-downed version of Vista for me to install (many such versions like this exist for XP).

Well, when Microsoft stops patching security holes in XP I'm sure you'll change your tune. How long should they support an OS that's been around since 2001? 10 years? Shit, look at Linux distros and OSX, they release something new every few years.

Can we please stop this RAM talk? RAM is there to be used, if it's not being used it's wasted! Everyone should have at least 2GB of RAM these days, if your running OSX, Vista or Xp does not matter, 2GB RAM at least! And with the RAM prices today there is no excuse.

By the way, im running Vista right now with iTunes, Firefox, MSN and a bunch of other things running and i still have 1100ish RAM left out of 2000.

Can we please stop this RAM talk? RAM is there to be used, if it's not being used it's wasted! Everyone should have at least 2GB of RAM these days, if your running OSX, Vista or Xp does not matter, 2GB RAM at least! And with the RAM prices today there is no excuse.

By the way, im running Vista right now with iTunes, Firefox, MSN and a bunch of other things running and i still have 1100ish RAM left out of 2000.

Ya, Srsly. I bought this laptop with 2 gigs of ram in it, so I'm not bothered when I'm using 52% of it. I mean, its there for a reason, use it.

I'm starting to think there must be something more running on mine that I don't know about. I use more than that on my laptop after a fresh boot up while it's just idling. I have gotten it down to 35% before but that was after using something RAM intensive and then closing it, it came back up over time after that.

I'm starting to think there must be something more running on mine that I don't know about. I use more than that on my laptop after a fresh boot up while it's just idling. I have gotten it down to 35% before but that was after using something RAM intensive and then closing it, it came back up over time after that.

open ur task manager, pick out the process that leeches the most ram.

then determine if the program is needed, if not.... delete the fuckers.

and go to msconfig and make sure you dont have a bunch of unnecessary crap in your startup procedure.

job done : )

Last edited:
Well, when Microsoft stops patching security holes in XP I'm sure you'll change your tune. How long should they support an OS that's been around since 2001? 10 years? Shit, look at Linux distros and OSX, they release something new every few years.
It's attitudes like this that really pisses me off. Should car manufacturers support a car that's been around for 10 years?

And when the model they release is heavier, slower, and not even available with a manual, why should we be interested in buying it?

It's attitudes like this that really pisses me off. Should car manufacturers support a car that's been around for 10 years?

And when the model they release is heavier, slower, and not even available with a manual, why should we be interested in buying it?

How can you compare software with automobiles? I don't see car companies offering 10-year standard warranties, maybe recently only on the powertrain (Hyundai, Chrysler). Usually it's 3-5 years and up to 60K miles. After that you have to pay for someone to fix it. In the software world they have something called EOL = End Of Life, where they stop supporting a piece of software and focus on the newest or latest release.

If Vista is slow, you don't have to use it. You can install Ubuntu, switch to a Mac, whatever you want. You can even keep XP and hope that perhaps the Windows community continues to support it if Microsoft won't. But you're not forced to buy a new car every 10 years, just like you're not forced to upgrade your OS either.

I bet more people would try out macs if they were cheaper, in light of the vista issue.

(or more people would try out linux, if there was more app support)

So in the end, I bet MS will prevail with most customers anyways. Eventually people will accept Vista...

That analogy isn't the best because the timescales are far too different. Cars stay on the market with minor redesigns every year or so and major redesigns every 5 years or so [depends on the manufacturer, I guess]. In that same time, computer technology has very rapidly advanced.

For example, four years ago, when the current Prius was released, the norm for computers would have been...maybe 2.0 GHz single-core with 2 GB of DDR RAM and a 50 GB hard drive [please feel free to correct me if that's wrong; I'm by no means a computer historian]. Nowadays, the norm is leaning heavily to 2.0+ GHz dual-cores with 2+ GB of DDR2 RAM and internal hard drives that are 100 GB or larger, and on the horizon is DDR3 RAM, quad-core processors, and terabyte hard drives.

Software companies have to keep up with [and ideally surpass] the hardware, so the pressure is on developing newer software at the expense of supporting the old software.

For example, four years ago, when the current Prius was released, the norm for computers would have been...maybe 2.0 GHz single-core with 2 GB of DDR RAM and a 50 GB hard drive [please feel free to correct me if that's wrong; I'm by no means a computer historian]. Nowadays, the norm is leaning heavily to 2.0+ GHz dual-cores with 2+ GB of DDR2 RAM and internal hard drives that are 100 GB or larger, and on the horizon is DDR3 RAM, quad-core processors, and terabyte hard drives.

Close enough. Intels were ~3Ghz, AMDs were ~2Ghz, RAM was more like 512-1GB typically and hard drives were ~100-200GB.

Modern internal hard drives tend to be 200+GB, but the rest of what you said is close enough.

I think people should stop reading Tech Blogs about Programmers complaining that Vista is 1.232321% Slower at doing some shit no real people will ever notice and actually form their own opinion.

XP Sucked when it was released, no computers could run it properly but as Drivers and Hardware caught up it got better, same deal with Vista. why would Microsoft make a OS for what Hardware most people have RIGHT NOW? when the market moves as fast as it does, the OS would be outdated with in 6months.

I don't have a problem with Vista, it runs well enough on modern systems. I suspect that most of this backlash was generated by the media who wanted a story.

I primarily use a Mac and have been a Linux user for many years, and I have no problem with Vista. The rough spots will be fixed, XP and 95 had the same problems. Hell 95 wasn't completely backed until 98se.

Part of the frustration stems from complete lack of market choice. There is no real alternative to windows. And don't give me the 'ubuntu, linux, mac' or any of that. For a casual user like me, who wants full compatibility with all the latest software and games, they are non-options. This industry is rigged to give MS a nice monopoly on the mainstream OS market.

There needs to be a massive shakeup imo.

Part of the frustration stems from complete lack of market choice. There is no real alternative to windows. And don't give me the 'ubuntu, linux, mac' or any of that. For a casual user like me, who wants full compatibility with all the latest software and games, they are non-options. This industry is rigged to give MS a nice monopoly on the mainstream OS market.

Industry is not rigged.

M$ worked very hard to dominate this market.

That's why I switched to a PS3 for games. All other software I need is available in linux.

(music players, office software, development software, im, browsers, everything)

I have been using vista since october, and i can never go back to XP. I just love aero, the new GUI, and the way all the icon sizes can be customised. Also, you can instantly find anything you want in the search bar.
One thing i have noticed, to run vista on a laptop is dangerous, because most are too slow to be able to cope
2zecpw4.jpg

2u94u9i.jpg

I couldn't agree more. It always annoys me when Mac and Linux fanboys claim that they're using the ultimate operating system, ignoring the fact that they have little to no gaming and software compatibility. Someone really needs to do something about this...

^After going back to my old mac after practically being forced to go into PC during my teenage years (Games, Programming needs.... etc), I can't even believe how simple it is to use a mac. Its such a stressfree experience, so for now, I'm just going to keep an XP Computer in the house in case I want to play some games or do some programming for uni, for my daily computer, it'll be a mac from now on.

I couldn't agree more. It always annoys me when Mac and Linux fanboys claim that they're using the ultimate operating system, ignoring the fact that they have little to no gaming and software compatibility. Someone really needs to do something about this...

wasnt there a funny picture of macs being useless?

hm... need to dig around

edit : found

MacvsWindows.jpg

And ppl who find XP/Vista complicated to use should stick to Mac....