Viper's 1988 Chevrolet Crapsica LT

Lol@ altoid.
Your "Crapsica" looks like it's still in better condition than mine, if that says anything. (And it probably is faster too/better tranny.)

Of course, mine also actually needs to be desperately cleaned (which I'm going to do this weekend. I'll give up and take it somewhere and have people be like SRSLY she's getting that crap cleaned? Also, there's some weird stuff developing in some crevices...)

The interior looks pretty acceptable. It doesn't look too torn up (minus the missing bit on the steering wheel.)

Interior is decent, but pretty stale. It's been sitting for a while, so it's a bit ripe in there.

Mine is too oddly (I only drive it once or twice a week). It usually reeks of old rain water. xD (It gets stuck in the door crevices on the outside of the doors, but it's pretty strong.)

Yeah I've got some gross green stuff that's just kind of... in the little ashtray bit on the driver's side door (which holds change). It's not mold though, it doesn't cause my nose to run and my skin to break out so I don't know what it is (I'd rather have someone else clean it, harr harr).

I'll bet anything that your car seats are actually moderately comfortable. Mine are about as comfortable as sitting on rocks. I'm honestly not kidding. Non-supportive and cheap!

At least you have something to look forward to- getting a Viper. I'm stuck in my mediocrity. xD

I actually do have the radio for it thank goodness, I just didn't bother to put it on in that photo. It's sitting in the center console. :) (oh noes, now you're all gonna break in and steal my radio!!!!)

And yes, I'm planning on driving the shit outta this thing so I can become a more experienced driver (passing the license test and being an experienced driver are two different things) and better at driving a stick, then it's Viper time. :)

Last edited:
You might want to transition to some other rear drive car first - front drivers and rear drivers do not act the same when pushed hard, and I'd hate for you to be one of the (IIRC) 60% of newbie Viper drivers that wrapped them around poles or otherwise totalled the cars. There's also the power factor to add in - the Corsica has none, the Viper has a surplus.

Same sort of reason the intelligent start on much smaller motorcycles then work their way up to the liter bikes if they want to remain in one piece - power changes the control equations considerably.

Last edited:
Well people say you are likely to crash your first car.
Hurry up and do that so you can buy something better :p

Mmm, I like the matt black paint.

What? is it not supposed to be like that?

Your radio installation's still tidier than mine.

Last edited:
Holy crap, that is a shitbox. :lol: And I drove a 1989 Mitsubishi Colt :D

I love how all the switches are just randomly added to the car. "Let's put it.........over here."

Name one part of it that isn't broken :p

And people were laughing at my car. Broo-ha-ha-ha!

I love how all the switches are just randomly added to the car. "Let's put it.........over here."

Those switch placements were the results of a bunch of ergonomic studies that GM conducted on where controls should best be placed. Note the concept of finger tip controls surrounding the instrument panel, an idea other makers used at about the same time.

However, unlike everyone else, GM forgot to determine what controls should go where in those studies. They also forgot to determine the best shape and qualities for a switch. So what you have there is just a bunch of cheap, crappy GM corporate parts bin switches randomly slapped in at approximately the locations found optimal for controls in general - but not necessarily the specific control they placed there. :rolleyes: :lol:

Huge, huge, huge GM fail. It took GM 45 months to develop and release the Corsica (they trumpeted this at the time of release,) along with untold millions of dollars, and it's hard to see exactly what the hell they were doing for that almost four year period. Sleeping on the job? Doing weird things with the then-new laser welders?

Who knows, but it certainly wasn't anything like 'making the car better.' :p

Even worse, they kept making them until 1996. :sick: They kept trying to fix the interior through the first few years of production and eventually just gave up somewhere around 93, IIRC. :lol:

Last edited:
Crap car, but bash it around, reverse into light poles, and learn how to drive it so you dont go doing any of that in the Viper :p

Gah, almost forgot. Do keep a fire extinguisher in the car - that design of light switch likes to go on fire, especially on extended night drives.

You might want to transition to some other rear drive car first - front drivers and rear drivers do not act the same when pushed hard, and I'd hate for you to be one of the (IIRC) 60% of newbie Viper drivers that wrapped them around poles or otherwise totalled the cars. There's also the power factor to add in - the Corsica has none, the Viper has a surplus.

Same sort of reason the intelligent start on much smaller motorcycles then work their way up to the liter bikes if they want to remain in one piece - power changes the control equations considerably.

I bolded the important part of your post. ;) I'm not a reckless guy or a risktaker. The Viper will be babied to hell for quite some time.

I'm with you on the horsepower thing though. This had 130 HP and 160 ft lb of torque when new. :lol:

So you are actually getting a Viper? I've been out of the loop, but sweet!

Anyway, it's good that you're aware of what the power means, and that you need to take it easy. I see kids with very little driving experience getting into 200+ hp cars and crashing them almost immediately. A kid I know (probably 20-21 years old, rich parents) started off with a BMW 130 - crashed that, then had a Civic Type R - that ended up on its roof, and now has a MK2 Focus RS - and I'm half expecting that to be trashed any day now.. Large HP numbers are not something to be toyed around with - I've had my license for 9 years, I've been driving/writing for an automotive magazine for over 2 years, and I've driven anything from 50 to 550 horsepower, yet I still don't consider myself a good driver.

As for the Crapsica - have fun with it, beater cars are great first cars!

So you are actually getting a Viper?

That's certainly the plan, but is dependent on me using this thing to become a better driver with more experience on the road and with a stick. That's the entire reason I'm driving it -- it's a beater I can not worry about while I gain more experience. :)

I bolded the important part of your post. ;) I'm not a reckless guy or a risktaker. The Viper will be babied to hell for quite some time.

I'm with you on the horsepower thing though. This had 130 HP and 160 ft lb of torque when new. :lol:

And I bet about 120 of those horses have escaped by now!

Well done for finally getting a permit and a car. Now thrash the shit out of it, IceBone it into a solid object, and then once your neck stops hurting get a Miata for tail-slidey lulz before you graduate to the Viper.

:clap:

The pristine interior, complete with new junkyard steering column to replace the worn out and shorted old one!

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/05/15/Img_1238.jpg

The car was turned off in this photo:

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/05/15/Img_1239.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2011/05/15/Img_1240.jpg

Honestly, that interior makes a Lada Samara look well put together. Jesus.

Edit: What, that gauge pod is supposed to look like that? I thought it was missing a plastic cover.

Last edited: