Viper's 1988 Chevrolet Crapsica LT

That reminds me of when I first bought my Midget. I stalled it a few times as I had been driving my Mustang for a few years prior.

I'm going in reverse. I'll stall the hell outta this thing but will probably find it impossible to stall the Viper. :lol: "Idle up a hill in 5th? Sure!"

I got nervous with someone behind me or there was a hill

I remember I had the same problem when I was 17 (probably everybody had). It's just a paranoia. Once you get used to the dimensions of the car you will be fine, also look below:
Just let it roll a little bit. Trust me, it'll roll 30cm max, even on a 1 in 3 hill. And there should be at least a metre between the car behind you and the back of your car.
And generally hills, most people should have common courtesy to give you more space.

Yeah, people get way too close to you. Last thing I need is to roll back into someone.

L2D is right. No matter how close you think the car behind you is, it is always at least 1 meter. I know it will look closer, but it never is. You let of the brake and you feel like the car is rolling backwards a lot, but it really doesn't move that much.

I can't tell you to risk it, but just do some more dry practices on hills.

Or you could just practise heel and toe to ensure you have the right revs as you ease in the clutch and off the brake pedal.

Most normal cars don't have the pedals positioned for heel and toe. It's impossible to do on mine. Impossible, I tell you!

Impossibru.png

With a car like that in the street; there goes the neighbourhood.

Most normal cars don't have the pedals positioned for heel and toe. It's impossible to do on mine. Impossible, I tell you!

That surprises me. I've been able to heel/toe in pretty much every car I've had and my feet are pretty average in size euro 43/UK size 9. Got to take some stuff to the dump in the Honda though later so I'll check that out and let you know but since I use the handbrake most of the time when stopped I don't tend to need to. Parked it gets left in gear so as not the stretch the cable.

All the cars I've owned had the gas pedal a lot closer to the firewall than the brake pedal. You can't reach it without lifting the foot off the gas pedal completely. I tried.

Impossibru.png

That's a VAG thing. Can't do it on the Ibiza, Polo or A6, in the 1 Series it works very well. The difference is, the 1 has a standing gas pedal which is the same level as the other two, the VAG cars have a hanging pedal which is a bit behind the other two and quite short, so you miss it with the heel.

1 Series (can't find non-riced pic)
20435_1.jpg

Ibiza:
http://img197.imageshack.**/img197/4660/pedales2d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realised something. Every manual I have driven on a regular basis (not including short breaks abroad) has been RHD and of course you're in Europia which is LHD. Might have an impact on the overall position of pedal boxes and explain why you can't. :dunno:

EDIT: @ D-Fence - I'll take a look and try in mum's RHD Ibiza and let you know next time I drive it.

I'm strangely fascinated now....

(Sits back and waits for one of you to quote with just "I'm strange" - yes, I know.)

Last edited:
Nope MWF. It is a general matter of "standing pedal" vs "hanging pedal".

The Golf GTI f.e. has a standing pedal for exactly that reason:

60060249_6ab87a110d.jpg

So does the S3:

Audi_2006_S3_neu_silber_Innenraum_schwarz.jpg

Or Leon Cupra
57706853_f8c3a1fca8.jpg

They all have the same pedals - photoshop, i can tell it from the pixels and seeing quite a few shops in my time.

You clearly didn't understand how Volkswagen works. They develop one part and put it in every car.

Fucking Volkswagens. How do they work?

Make a VW, put an Audi badge on it, charge 2x as much.

Oh, wait... <_<

VW the new GM.

Actually how about build a VW but better, stick a Skoda badge on it, sell it for less, pay the VAT for UK buyers, profits still up 87%*.

Skoda, how does that fucking work?

*Worth a read..... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring.../Mr-Money-Skoda-is-winning-the-value-war.html

I'd arguably choose a Skoda over the equivalent VW offering if they had the brand here. The cars all look very nice indeed. :)

This begs the question. Maybe VW should offer Skoda here, as a budget brand. The Kia to Hyundai if you will. That way, VW could stay "premium" and "upscale."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vortipor73/3368951864/in/photostream/ -> orange Fabia ftw!

Last edited: