Visual effects in race Abu Dhabi 13x02?

Burak

Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen Passat
I can't find on search.
So what do you think why do they need to do this?
13x02.jpg

z.jpg

z-1.jpg

Last edited:
ahahaha nice find, how did you manage to see it ?

My personal opinion is that on the editing table they might not get the exact scene they wanted to,so they plaster 2 scene together to make a nice one.

think of it in terms of this

mclaren_f1_vs_bugatti_veyron_wallpaper.jpg

this is also an edited picture, that picture is made from 2 diffrent pictures

Last edited:
yea, im guessing they saw something in one scene that would work well with another. you have to remember the wonderful imaginations involved in that post production team. im confident this goes on very often and im not surprised to see it take this long to find evidence of it.

There is even more. Now I'm working on it

There is even more. Now I'm working on it

do you really wanna do that? your kinda ruining the purity of the show by trying to find errors. it will be all you ever notice and that may ruin the experience for you. im an audio engineer and i can tell you first hand that once you start looking for it things will never be the same. just a warning.

do you really wanna do that? your kinda ruining the purity of the show by trying to find errors. it will be all you ever notice and that may ruin the experience for you. im an audio engineer and i can tell you first hand that once you start looking for it things will never be the same. just a warning.

I understand what do you mean. last episodes of top gear are just not good used to be before. When I saw this race I knew there is something fake. I watch episodes regularly and now I find it. TG isn't a hollywood thing there shouldn't be such kind of effects

I understand what do you mean. last episodes of top gear are just not good used to be before. When I saw this race I knew there is something fake. I watch episodes regularly and now I find it. TG isn't a hollywood thing there shouldn't be such kind of effects

i disagree. it IS a "hollywood" thing. Andy and they guys have just mastered the art of hiding the fact that its heavily edited. to be honest, i have never noticed any of that stuff. i dont care if its fake or not, its pure entertainment. its a hollywood blockbuster for free every sunday night. sure, some stuff is unbelievable but its still massively awesome and thats all that matters. i dont care if the guys begin to show that they are trying to hard or something like that. whats ruining the show for alot of people on here is things like this. we are becomming to anal and trying to hard to find the fault instead of just having a good time watching the show but thats a whole nother rant. anyways, my point is there WILL be that kind of effects, they are very needed.

From your point of view what you tell is true. But for me if there is a race between Sv and 722 I want to see facts. I don't care it seem good or not on scene. Where else can I see a race like that. I prefer to be it real.

It could also be due to something to do with the video itself and how it's decoded. There was a frame shown in a thread some time ago where only half of the SLR was visible, and it was something to do with frame interlacing.

You do get the facts. James once described it well (this isn't the exact quote I had in mind, but the essence is the same), TG describes true things but uses some trickery to make it look good. See the epic races, the race itself is done for real but stuffed with faked shots to make it look good on TV.

It could also be due to something to do with the video itself and how it's decoded. There was a frame shown in a thread some time ago where only half of the SLR was visible, and it was something to do with frame interlacing.

Interlaced_video_frame_(car_wheel).jpg

i don't think a half a car could be cut off because of interlaceing

Indeed, interlacing issues will not make half a car disappear and leave the other half perfectly intact. In fact, this probably was shot with full progressive frames, else you would not be able to get sharpish images of the cars while they move a car's length per frame - then each field would be half a car length apart and it would be hard to put them together properly.

Most likely just additional shots made of each individual car put together to create a more entertaining impression of the race while still representing the facts learned from the real race.

What if they didn't race them side by side, but rather one after the other and than just put the lambo bit over the slr video (or the other way around), because the gap between the lambo and where the slr is cut is always the same size (in every scene)...

Last edited:
What if they didn't race them side by side, but rather one after the other and than just put the lambo bit over the slr video (or the other way around), because the gap between the lambo and where the slr is cut is always the same size (in every scene)...

I had wondered if they had done that in the McClaren vs the Bugatti race.

Just one tiny slip and almost 3 million dollars worth of cars would go up in a very pretty crash...

This is where my money is too... Much less risk, plus both runs could be done by a Stig (or professional driver) instead of Hammond.

Where else can I see a race like that. I prefer to be it real.

How do you suggest the camera crew go about setting things up so they can show an actual run but still make it look good on the telly? Something has to give.

To misquote James May: What you see is true but not necessarily real.

* They run their races (epic and not-so-epic) in real time to get a result, then they go back and film coverage shots to help tell the story more effectively. (To add, in Or Is That Just Me?, Richard writes a little about the race across London; after winning, he had to go back so the cameramen could get shots of him riding past various points on his bicycle. He had to do one pass-by, I think, three times for various reasons.)
* Power laps (and, I suspect, SIARPC and F1 laps) are treated similarly: The fastest time goes on the board, but the footage is a compilation of various runs. Talking of which, I read somewhere that Billy "Blind Man" Baxter's laps were done with the Stig in the passenger's seat, but they filmed one lap with Jeremy in the car for TV.

or, lets say the owner of the vehicle doesnt want it run at 200 mph 3 feet from another car so they tell them they can use it but they have to run it alone ect...

How do you suggest the camera crew go about setting things up so they can show an actual run but still make it look good on the telly? Something has to give.

To misquote James May: What you see is true but not necessarily real.

* They run their races (epic and not-so-epic) in real time to get a result, then they go back and film coverage shots to help tell the story more effectively. (To add, in Or Is That Just Me?, Richard writes a little about the race across London; after winning, he had to go back so the cameramen could get shots of him riding past various points on his bicycle. He had to do one pass-by, I think, three times for various reasons.)
* Power laps (and, I suspect, SIARPC and F1 laps) are treated similarly: The fastest time goes on the board, but the footage is a compilation of various runs. Talking of which, I read somewhere that Billy "Blind Man" Baxter's laps were done with the Stig in the passenger's seat, but they filmed one lap with Jeremy in the car for TV.

exactly. i have noticed a few SIARPC laps that didnt seem to match but i didnt get mad and jump on here calling foul like some people, lol. its just part of the game. we do the exact same thing in Audio in all forms. 90% of pro mixed and recorded songs (even live) are chopped. its the only way to give you the best possible product,

Talking of which, I read somewhere that Billy "Blind Man" Baxter's laps were done with the Stig in the passenger's seat, but they filmed one lap with Jeremy in the car for TV.

I would believe that actually. It always bugged me that the car was going pretty quick on the external shots, but looked very very slow on the incar shots. I always thought maybe they re-filmed the external shots with someone else driving, then bumped a few seconds off Billy's real time to make him feel better, but I am glad to hear this may not be the case.