Vodka!

Just read another interesting use for vodka in cooking. Pie Crust... one of the major problems you run into while making pie crust is that if you add enough water to make it easy to work with it ends up not being flaky and instead gets doughy but if you don't add enough water it is really hard to work with without tearing and crumbling. Enter premium or ultra premium vodka. because it is basically water and alcohol with a very neutral taste you can use it to add liquid to the pie crust dough allowing it to be easily handled and then the alcohol bakes off leaving a nice flaky crust without any adverse taste.

[url="http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/11/cooks-illustrated-foolproof-pie-dough-recipe.html']Linky[/url]

It's the Rock-edition... My step-dad managed to get the pride-edition too.. :p

sobieski.jpg

vodka2.jpg

low shelf polish vodka is always pretty tasty. I love the sobieski, mixes wonderfully. Same with the russian stuff even though it's a bit spicier.

As a trained Russian drinker i can tell you that Vodka in any way shape or form is poison. Not as bad as beer, but still 2nd best to turn ppl into some sort of mules ? of Russian population are now. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I'm crap with hard drinks. I cannot even tell the difference between whisky sorts, so I'm surely not able to tell a difference between Vodkas.

Smirnoff has worked for me but frankly I never consciusly consumed any other than that.

Would be nice, if you could add a description to your favourite brands, like is it mild or strong or biting? I'm more for the mild, smooth stuff. I don't like it, when the stuff tastes like dental practice.

As a trained Russian drinker i can tell you that Vodka in any way shape or form is poison. Not as bad as beer, but still 2nd best to turn ppl into some sort of mules ? of Russian population are now. Enjoy!

As a trained Bulgarian drinker I can tell you that Vodka is not bad at all. It whitens teeth and kills germs in your mouth.

There may be side effects such as alcoholism and destroyed liver, but who cares :)

/sarcasm off

As a trained Bulgarian drinker I can tell you that Vodka is not bad at all. It whitens teeth and kills germs in your mouth.

you sound like my father - "i have a shortage of vitamin C, give me another mojito!" :lol:

I rarely drink vodka, but me and my friends use a version we call "Turps" for drinking games. :lol:

Its very cheap, very nasty and very paint-thinnery... ideal for drinking games! Who can drink it and not throw up wins!!

^ I wonder if there is a Top Gear drinking game, I mean, how hard could it be?

*drinks Turps*

Could be fun if you had TG viewing parties. :mrgreen:

hahaha I must try it!!! We have a QI drinking game... during which I dress up as Stephen Fry.. its very good lol

meet my goddess..
smirnoff-vodka.jpg

^Smirnoff? I didn't know you were a girl, someone get this man a pink username :lol:

^Smirnoff? I didn't know you were a girl, someone get this man a pink username :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
honestly, i don't see what's wrong with it.. it has same percentage of alcohol as any other.. we don't have much to choose here.. we have few local brands (which are cheap), this, and then absolut and others (expensive ones).. this is somewhere in the middle.. ;)

edit: talking about best ones, this is the best i've ever tried.. 0,7 L costs $ 80 and it's made with glacier water..
vodka_xellent.gif

Last edited:
No Smirnoff is perfectly decent Vodka, over here it just has a bit of a sorority sister following. I figure you'd have some greatvodkas in your neck of the woods.

maybe they differ in europe and us and a.. :blink:

No Smirnoff is perfectly decent Vodka, over here it just has a bit of a sorority sister following. I figure you'd have some greatvodkas in your neck of the woods.
Never heard that one. Smirnoff ice, yes, but regular vodka? :hmm: