Volkswagen is in trouble with just about everybody on the f'ing planet

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
I'm glad that VAG and FCA are getting their feet held to the fire on this. I know that there's a lot of disdain for the EAP and environmental regulations among car enthusiasts, but despite these regulations, we are making cars today that are producing more power, going faster, stopping better, and turning harder - all while being cleaner and lasting longer than at any point in automotive history.

I want technology to drive us forward to cleaner, better vehicles. It doesn't mean that enthusiasm has to die on the alter of environmentalism. Hell, even e-series racing would be fantastic, Laguna Seca can only run unrestricted noise a few days a year due to development around the track; noise is one of the biggest problems facing tracks that are trying to survive as housing spreads farther into what was previously undeveloped land. With e-series racing, we could have races any time we want and not wake the neighbors. It opens to the door to urban tracks and even street course events with minimal disruption and no emissions to worry about.

VAG and FCA trying to cheat their way into compliance rather than innovate is holding all of us back.

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
Yeah companies generally try to do whatever they can get away with as the bare minimum. There is a pount where the regulations can go too far, but usually I think they are within reasonable standards to set as goals and force people to innovate.

I worry less about these regulations then the consequences of not meeting them fast enough, not just for the sake of the damage being done, but the fear of what would happen if they put that off until it's an emergency. I don't want crazy taxes to run my cars or fuel rationing or even worse, for fun cars to no longer be profitable enough to keep making.

Honestly I think the biggest threat to car enthusiasts is the average person being really apathetic or even hateful about cars. The most common reason why seems to be related to emissions. Cutting corners won't help anyone.