Volvo planning to let delivery companies leave parcels in your car?

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I really like the idea of this. Basically, Volvo wants to give delivery drivers one-time access to your car. Obviously this would only happen after you sign up for the service. How nice wouldn't it be to have packages delivered wherever you happen to be, without you even having to be there to sign for it?

Story here: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/20/5429162/volvo-roam-delivery-trial

Volvo already has a system called VOC (Volvo On Call) that allows you to fire up the parking heater, check the fuel level and voltage, work the central locking etc etc via your smartphone. I'm guessing that this would be an extension of VOC. The delivery driver sees your car on his GPS, unlocks it via his handheld scanner thing and puts it in the trunk for you. Car locks itself and the one-time access thing expires.

Personally I love this idea.

There is no way I'd trust anyone going into my car.

Do you ever have packages delivered by the door because you wasnt home? So much opportunity for strangers who just pass by to grab your things. If delivered to your car, it's locked in away from strangers. The courier doing the delivery to your car is being logged. Not a smart time to steal your stuff.

In the video however they're using Linas Matkasse, which is groceries. Not sure I want raw meat lying about in the trunk for five hours...

Last edited:
The courier doing the delivery to your car is being logged. Not a smart time to steal your stuff.

I feel this is more of a real issue than LeVeL's complaint: the risk of someone falsely claiming something was stolen out of their car.

I never leave anything in my car that's worth stealing. Unless they really want a USB cable or some paper towels.

I can see this being a good idea, depending on what it is you're receiving. I've known several people who had packages stolen off their door step during the Christmas season, including a guy who was expecting an old Hi-Fi that belonged to his grand dad. Not the sort of thing that can be replaced easily. I'm sure he would have risked his phone charger and owners manual getting stolen, rather than that Hi-Fi system.

I never leave anything in my car that's worth stealing. Unless they really want a USB cable or some paper towels.

I can see this being a good idea, depending on what it is you're receiving. I've known several people who had packages stolen off their door step during the Christmas season, including a guy who was expecting an old Hi-Fi that belonged to his grand dad. Not the sort of thing that can be replaced easily. I'm sure he would have risked his phone charger and owners manual getting stolen, rather than that Hi-Fi system.

All my mail goes to a mail drop/mail services facility where they securely receive packages for me and I run zero risk of someone making off with my stuff.

I'd like this service. I'm not too worried about stealing stuff, because of the logging feature this must have. And anyway currently delivery drivers do drop my packages to my door and walk by my unlocked cars that some times may even have keys in the ignition, along with huge amount of other stuff I keep outdoors.

I think chaos pointed out the actual problem that might occur, how do the delivery companies prove they've not stolen something that users claim... Automatic camera going on and off anytime this feature is in use, perhaps?

There is no way I'd trust anyone going into my car.

Tell us what you're carrying in your car that is steal-able that you think is worth more to the delivery driver than his job and his freedom?..
It's not like it's a random guy that nobody knows that'll be delivering it. His name will be tied to that delivery number in the system, his employer and the police have all his details if anything goes missing during the delivery. If anything, delivery men would be wary of this because of the possibility of false accusations against them.

I'd leave an inflated sex doll or a giant dildo or something in the boot just to freak the guy out, though.

Do you ever have packages delivered by the door because you wasnt home? So much opportunity for strangers who just pass by to grab your things. If delivered to your car, it's locked in away from strangers. The courier doing the delivery to your car is being logged. Not a smart time to steal your stuff.

when i order something on the internet, most of the time i just let it arrive at work. there's always someone present to sign off :)

There is literally nothing worth more than $5 in my car. I just don't like people touching my car. It's also why I will do my absolutely best to never ever stop at a New Jersey gas station and why I try to do my own maintenance. It has nothing to do with theft but more with poor treatment of others' property. How long before a delivery guy accidentally scratches your car, for example?

How long before a delivery guy accidentally scratches your car, for example?

There's always that, but you already run the risk of getting your car scratched by other people parking next to you, their kids, etc. You can't avoid that if you actually use your car the way it's meant to be used. Why would this be any different?