Spied: VW New Beetle UNVEILED

Ugh. Put the engine in the back and it's just another jumped up Bett-sorry, 911.

but the only thing I see more like the original is the roof, which means they have killed the fact it had such impressive headroom. (I would say I have more headroom than most SUVs) So from what I can see they made it worse.

i never understood why someone wants additional space above his head, not like you can use it, and it kills handling...

How the hell do you update a car that's supposed to be an update of a much older car? ( and was crap at that)

Still looks goofy, & bloated. It's a shame, because there is so much potential in the Beetle. I know this would be expensive, but it they made it rear engined, rwd, with a water cooled 4 cyl boxer, and styled it right, it could be an incredibly cool car.

It's the bastard love child of a Beetle and a Chrysler crossfire.

I actually like it. Although I think they should make it rear engined :)

It's an improvement... still lacking any cool-factor though.

/jumps on RR bandwagon

i never understood why someone wants additional space above his head, not like you can use it, and it kills handling...

It gives me room when I wear a helmet at autocrosses? Although the old-new-beetle did have enough for a viking helmet...

The front bumper looks like its going to fall off.

Also want RR.

Still looks goofy, & bloated. It's a shame, because there is so much potential in the Beetle. I know this would be expensive, but it they made it rear engined, rwd, with a water cooled 4 cyl boxer, and styled it right, it could be an incredibly cool car.

It should also have a big chunk of magnesium in the rear so it can make a huge fire after it understeers into a tree courtesy of the death axle (also retro fitted to keep it real).

Performance drivers won't be buying this. Who cares if it is FWD?

It should also have a big chunk of magnesium in the rear so it can make a huge fire after it understeers into a tree courtesy of the death axle (also retro fitted to keep it real).

Performance drivers won't be buying this. Who cares if it is FWD?

Because there are already plenty of different fwd compacts around, especially where VW is concerned. It could offer VW GTI buyers an alternative within the brand. Why not take advantage of it's history, and make a real modern Beetle. And it's silly to imply that it would be as ill handling as it's predecessor, look at the 911. Modern suspension & electronics can take care of all that.

Or even look at another tiny icon from back in the day, the Mini Cooper. BMW did great things with it. Not only do people think it's cute, but the performance of the higher end models is hard to ignore. It's got an excellent chassis and is a lot of fun to drive. It seems to be popular with most demographics.

I don't think VW ever really cared about the new Beetle. It was just a cheap easy model to add to fill the retro niche and make alittle extra money.

Oh shit, I'm sorry I sat on the roof and squished that bug. My fault everybody.

Because there are already plenty of different fwd compacts around, especially where VW is concerned. It could offer VW GTI buyers an alternative within the brand. Why not take advantage of it's history, and make a real modern Beetle.

I doubt anyone has bought a new Beatle for performance and handling. Its targeted audience doesn't give a shit about what wheels drive the car. Those who do care will buy a GTI. Why spend more money equipping it with more expensive performance parts when no one will notice or care?

You say it is an alternative for a GTI buyer, why spend more money developing this if the target buyer would buy a GTI?

And it's silly to imply that it would be as ill handling as it's predecessor, look at the 911. Modern suspension & electronics can take care of all that.

I wasn't referring to the rear engined arrangement. I was mocking the idea that the car "must be rear engined like the original!!!!11one". That isn't the point of the car. It isn't a sports car. Why should VW spend money unnecessarily on making it one?

I don't think VW ever really cared about the new Beetle. It was just a cheap easy model to add to fill the retro niche and make alittle extra money.

They haven't. It's totally depressingly half assed. They've done very few upgrades since it hit the market over ten years ago because they can't be bothered. They could easily make it at least the same quality as a golf but they really don't give a shit.

^yeah, you really wonder why people buy them :p

Why are they still making this? :?

^yeah, you really wonder why people buy them :p

I inherited mine from my grandmother :p
I was going to aim for like a used ford focus iirc, but honestly in comparison to most first cars I could have gotten? I can't really complain. Even if it's based on a golf that was outdated when it was bought it is still significantly newer than anything I would have gotten and it's a convertible. Come on, funky looking convertible at 16? That is badass even it's slow.

Also my car makes little children punch each other, and people actually yell "I LOVE YOUR CAR" at me so it's worth it. :D

...aaaaaand the manly manly man's car 911 is still a zillion times cuter.

The proportions on this look all off. :(

And the name. The NEW BEETLE. To me the NEW BEETLE is the current one. so This has to be the NEWEST BEETLE wich will make it the last one. WIN