Want Windows 7 for ?/$30?

^ They talk of an 'in-place installation', which supposedly just upgrades. Although I would rather get it to wipe the partition.

I have an Atom netbook running TinyXP and a fullsize laptop running Vista...

Is it worth upgrading? read : is 7 noticeably better than Vista and is it worth ?30

If you are enrolled at Monash you should be able to get it for free.

I've got a whole bunch of Microsoft software, including various versions of XP, Vista and 7 for free.

With legit serials that I am entitled to use legitimately.

Booyah.

Oh and I go to TAFE, lol.

Sidenote: Sleep deprivation and starting class at 8:30 is balls.

Last edited:
I've got a whole bunch of Microsoft software, including various versions of XP, Vista and 7 for free.

With legit serials that I am entitled to use legitimately.

Yeah, I got Win 7 64-bit, Win 7 32-bit, Vista Enterprise 64-bit and XP 32-bit with SP3 from MSDNAA. Running 64 bit Win 7 on my desktop. Its fabulous.

Saving the 32-bit Win 7 serial for my eventual netbook purchase. XP SP3, well, why not? Always handy to have a spare copy around.

Yeah, I got Win 7 64-bit, Win 7 32-bit, Vista Enterprise 64-bit and XP 32-bit with SP3 from MSDNAA. Running 64 bit Win 7 on my desktop. Its fabulous.

Saving the 32-bit Win 7 serial for my eventual netbook purchase. XP SP3, well, why not? Always handy to have a spare copy around.

MSDNAA ftw.

Now I just have to get an external HDD to back-up my laptop to and then give 7 a whirl on it.

Or should I bother? I have XP SP3 on it right now.

Either way I need to get myself an external HDD.

You'd probably want to put Win 7 onto the internal HD.

Win 7 is awesome. Worth upgrading over XP.

You'd probably want to put Win 7 onto the internal HD.

Win 7 is awesome. Worth upgrading over XP.

Ah, shit grammar is shit grammar (on my behalf).

I meant back-up the laptop's contents onto the external HDD then give 7 a whirl on the laptop.

But yes, we shall see.

Anywho, I just wish Office was free =p

If you are enrolled at Monash you should be able to get it for free.

no deal unfortunately, for some fucked up reason only the faculty of engineering have a MSDNAA account, we need to go our service desk to get software from it and 7 won't be out by the time I finish for ever :D

I have an Atom netbook running TinyXP and a fullsize laptop running Vista...

Is it worth upgrading? read : is 7 noticeably better than Vista and is it worth ?30

On good hardware: yeah, it's better. On crappy hardware, waaaaaaaaayyyyy better. It runs ok on my Atom netbook, although it was a bit faster on XP, and I'm having a few stability issues. Hopefully this will be resolved after release.

^If I buy a Lenovo S10e or Samsung NC-10, I'll probably put 7 on it.

Whats the battery drain like running Win7 on a netbook?

Battery life only a little worse, since I was able to tweak some more advanced power saving features than I had in XP. Went from ~2.5+ hours to ~2+ hours. I need to get the big battery one of these days...

Performance is a bit worse than XP, but I'd have to see them side by side again to be sure. Aero is nice and works perfectly, my only remaining issues are that Firefox likes to crash/cause explorer.exe to crash/bluescreen (been using Opera), and it tends to lock up completely every now and then... like maybe once every couple of days. I know I had to do a BIOS update on my desktop to get 7 to work at all so I'll try that on the netbook and see if it helps with the freezing, otherwise I'll cross my fingers with Windows Update after release.

I got a few Pro keys off of MSDNAA. Theyre good for life, free compliments of Microsoft :D

As I have the upgrade edition and it needs to search for an existing installation, I was wondering if I could install Wndows XP (but not activate it) and then install the upgrade edition of Windows 7. It's a legit copy of XP but as it's already installed on another machine I very much doubt I can activate it again. Otherwise I could attempt installing Windows 7 twice using the upgrade disk.