(Warning, MC Content) All-American Harley-Davidson to assemble motorcycles in India.

You fail at punnery forever. :p May someone lop your head off with a Fireblade. :p

Nah, just send a Commando after him.

Getting back to India for a moment, how safe is it to ride there? I've heard horror stories of villagers being attacked by Tigers.

As a fellow Indian I would say that the villager eaten by a tiger would be one off case, a story which the press liked so much that they made a mail chain and decided to fwd to all their friends. "Fwd:Fwd:Fwd - Else a tiger will eat another Indian"

If you remember the Top Gear Vietnam episode where Richard talks about two wheelers being used as a people carrier, delivery trucks & pimp mobiles, thats how it is in India as well, it has slowly moved from scooters to motorcycles, and the Kei cars from Maruti(Suzuki) along with the Nano is slowly moving the masses to cars but two wheelers still dominate. The annual sales of two wheelers crossed 10 million sometime last year, (don't remember exactly how much ).

To your question, how safe it is ? The standards may not match the western worlds, people still not realize the importance of helmets and wear them only since the govt mandates them. But on a day to day commute you will rarely hit 50 km/hr in India. Most of the deaths are due to on careless, drunken, negligent and rash driving along with poor traffic engineering. More than 50% deaths are due to lack of wearing a helmet (poor enforcement and corrupt officials) and hitting a truck or being hit from behind a truck is very common motorcycle accident in India. In my last twenty eight years of life, I have known of three guys who decided to overtake on a two lane highway to ram into an oncoming truck and they were not wearing helmets. The overtaking maneuver seems to be a craze for all thrill seekers. If you have seen the latest episodes of Ice road truckers you will understand what I mean.

Some Indian two wheeler history - Two wheelers were all about fuel efficiency till 2000 or so, the most popular models till that time were the Bajaj's scooter line up - a knock off vespa, the Hero Honda cd 100 & splendor - an upgraded Honda cub which sold because of it's high fuel efficiency ( the brochures for the Honda claimed 80kmpl). Most women rode a Kinetic Honda - a gearless 100c scooter which did revolutionize the scooter market in the late eighties. The college kids would love to have a Yamaha RX100 or dreamt about the RD350 - a very rare machine by itself. For 200cc plus you had to get yourself an Enfield. There were mopeds as well and were basically if you could afford something more than a bicycle.

Somewhere in 1999, Hero Honda launched the CBZ which kicked off the performance motorcycle craze in in India, coupled with the new money from the IT outsourcing boom it was a hit and marked a beginning of a shift to motorcycling. The other players also launched their versions, the most notable was the Pulsar - the first to offer fuel injection, twin spark plugs on a motorcycle , clip on bars, digital dash and rear disc brakes. Today every major player wants to get into the performance bike category in India, but the Indian buyer is still by and large cost conscious and will take time to change.

Below is a Bajaj Pulsar commercial from India.

Last edited:
Erm, he was punning with the rest of us.

This is the kind of Tiger he was talking about.

Triumph-Tiger-1999.jpg

Well that cut the conversation off better than a Katana.

Either that or some Bandit crept in and stole the convo.

Or the Ninjas are more effective than ever.

We need to shore up our defenses, we certainly don't need any more Intruders.

Spectre is right. We can?t rely on a Tornado carrying them elsewhere.

I'd rather deal with the Tornado than face the Monster that lives in the storm cellar.

Gawd, all this motorcycle punnery is making me Shiver. 'Corse, you guys are all Brutale.

Not as Brutale as the Marauder that killed my PC last night.

Perhaps we could come up with some sort of Diversion and hire an Eliminator to resolve the problem. We should ensure that he's especially Savage.

Is he armed with some sort of offensive Scrambler weaponry?

Last edited:
I think we'd be better off using a Fazer. It wouldn't cause so much of a Ruckus.

This is getting ridiculous; I'm just going to Zuma on out of this thread.

Other automotive forums can only Dream of the threads that we have. Sorry I just had to say it before this thread Ventures into the archives, only to be bumped 636 days later by a troll who likes causing a 'Strom bumping old threads.

I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg